UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Class

Sheplover

Following on from the Tony Blair thread I thought I would start a thread on class.

Do you put yourself into a class? And how would you decide on your class?

I don't walk around wearing a badge, or judging people on their class, but if asked I tell people that I am working class, and very proud to be as my parents worked hard and saved for everything we have, and Ben and I have tried to do the same :)

I always wonder about working class vs middle class, I mean, both have to 'work' to live, so what's the difference as it is not all down to financial status is it? :unsure:

I am currently a student who works p/t in a supermarket and lives in a housing association property, but I remember reading that when I become a teacher I will be deemed middle class as I will be a professional - somewhat strange to me :wacko:

Edited by Sheplover

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As I understood it is your father,s occupation that says which class you are in.

That makes me back to the sixteenth century working class.Luckily have broad shoulders and happy to hold very one up.

But read recently that there will soon be an underclass of people not a nice thought.

I don't even think about it, I really don't see the point.

I don't really either, you just get on with things and it's not something that always comes up :unsure: But some people were rather insistant on a class debate so thought i'd satisfy their need :biggrin:

My parents also worked hard and saved as did my grandparents, and their parents too. I don't think that has anything to do with class. Personally I wish they'd worked even harder and amassed a vast personal fortune that I could now dedicate my life to squandering as a member of the idle rich, but sadly, they let me down in that department... :laugh:

I did a quiz the other day that said, basically that I was too untidy and disorganised to be a member of the middle class (where I had previously thought I probably would be pigeonholed), and also I had the wrong car and the wrong dogs. Overall, I came out as a member of the underclass. Weird!

Apparently if you want to be posh you need labradors... :laugh:

As I understood it is your father,s occupation that says which class you are in.

That's how I understand it as well.

As far as I'm concerned you can't jump class. If your father was a farmhand, plumber, electrician etc even if you marry into the 'upper classes' YOU are still working class. Your children would be 'upper class' because their father was. Conversely even if you end up working as a toilet cleaner with no money if you were born 'upper class' then you still are.

I did a quiz the other day that said, basically that I was too untidy and disorganised to be a member of the middle class (where I had previously thought I probably would be pigeonholed), and also I had the wrong car and the wrong dogs. Overall, I came out as a member of the underclass. Weird!

Was that an on line quiz cos it would be interesting.

I'm working class and I'm proud of it, I certainly wouldn't aspire to change class.

OH thinks I'm middle class because I had a good education, I 'talk posh', I know what cutlery to use and I never eat with my fingers unless forced to :rolleyes:

Someone made a comment on another thread about the working classes thinking they are better than other classes. I don't think that's true at all and I think if it was true then less people would aspire to changing class.

I do however admit to having little or no respect for people who were born with money and are rich and idle purely because of that. I have tremendous respect for one or two people I know who started from nowhere and are now millionaires - and still thoroughly nice people :biggrin:

I really don't get it :wacko:

So...if your Dad is born to working class parents but ends up with a middle class occupation, is he still working class? And what are his children, middle class? Does he become middle class because of his occupation or is he still working class with middle class children? What a farce :rolleyes:

Edited by mooandboo

For some reason this 'class' thing winds me up! :wacko:

I, so I've been told, talk with a posh accent, because of this on quite a few occasions in my life I have been labelled as being 'posh' and deemed to be 'middle/upper class'. I have on the odd occasion found this quite upsetting to be 'labelled' like this to be honest as it has resulted in some people not wanting to meet my acquaintance, or some even giving me a hard time. No one from here I might add.

I personally do not go around 'labelling' anyone. We are all born equal. I like to meet new people very much. It's amazing what common ground you can find with strangers, for example a deep love of dogs, which transcends any 'class' system that people want to be labelled as or label others with.

Yes be proud of your background and personal history. I support that whole heartedly but don't hide behind some 'class system'. Like racism, no rights for women etc for example I am heartilly glad to see such archaic labelling dying out in this country.

:flowers:

I really don't get it :wacko:

So...if your Dad is born to working class parents but ends up with a middle class occupation, is he still working class? And what are his children, middle class? Does he become middle class because of his occupation or is he still working class with middle class children? What a farce :rolleyes:

He is still working class and his children will be middle class because of his occupation :biggrin: .

None of it is as relevant today really, although I think the class system is still in operation. I certainly think from the experiences I have had that true 'upper class' people look down on people who think they are 'upper class' because they have either married into it or have made lots of money.

Yes be proud of your background and personal history. I support that whole heartedly but don't hide behind some 'class system'. Like racism, no rights for women etc for example I am heartilly glad to see such archaic labelling dying out in this country.

:flowers:

Do you really think it is though ? Certainly where I am the yokels are expected to kow tow to the 'upper classes'. It's still a raise hats and say 'Good Morning Sir' sort of culture round here. Have to admit it puts my back up and I'm barely polite to them. When we have visiting royalty, which is regularly it is even worse.

If I had to put myself in a class, I would say I'm middle working class, a bit better class than some but, not as good as some others :wacko: I don't really believe in the class system, it's what you are that's important and I'm certain a lot better than some people who believe they are upper upper class. Up the revolution :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: