UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Class

Sheplover

Now, I am going to try and answer this, but I mean no offence so please don't take any. I would say that no one on here is part of the underclass, purely because of the forum that we are on.

However, the underclass is considered to be those that can work, but won't choosing to live off the state instead, don't care about anyone/thing, have children, but won't take responsibility for them, blame everyone else but themselves for when their kids go off the rails...am I painting the picture for you....they are the ever increasing drain on society, that people believe will only ever take out but will never put anything back....the underclass term differentiaties them from the working and middle classes, and gives the media something to use and the Government someone to blame....

I say no one on here is part of the "underclass" as I fail to see how you'd find your way to a dog rescue forum if you didn't care.

x

Thanks for that explanation :) and if that is the correct explanation then I would agree that it is very unlikely anyone on here would fall into that class

There was nothing wrong with my professional skills but i simply wasn't the right class. It's a sad fact that that kind of attitude exists today but it does.

I simply moved sideways and then went upwards. I am now in a higher position and with better prospects than many of the partners I used to work for. You just have to find a way around the Class aspect. It becomes a problem if you let it become a problem.

That is one of the things that irritates me about the 'upper classes' there tends to be a type of 'old boys' network.

I agree though that you can find ways round the problems this sort of thing creates.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you know where? I don't think I've every lived anywhere that was like that. Or if it was I must have missed it. I am intrigued by the idea.

It happens here in Faringdon. We're surrounded by countryside and much of it is owned by the same few people. People joke about one chap I know owning half the Cotswolds :laugh: People doth their caps to him and call him Sir. I don't :D To me he's just Mr H***** (I don't want to give his name) and we have a laugh and a joke and we speak about his dog and his pheasants. There is a pub at the bottom of my road, apparently I'm not rich enough to drink in it. Everyone in town says if you've not got millions in the bank you're not welcome in there. It's a very odd town to live in. There are some council houses and so many people look down on their inhabitants. There is so much snobbishness (is that a word?). Even Ian is guilty of it. When he was at school the kids from his end of town didn't play with the kids from Marlborough Gardens or even worse, The Leys. Heaven forbid! :ohmy: :rolleyes: There is a certain smugness about some people in Faringdon. I am a people watcher and I find it intriguing to watch their behaviour.

Ah we have several pubs, and which pub you drink in is dependant on where you live or your standing in the community. I don't know many people in Faringdon, the only people I really know are the people I see in my shop. Nice bunch of old boys and young lads. They drink across the road from the shop in The Red Lion. When my mum visited and we went out for a drink one evening I obviously went to The Red Lion because that's where the people I know are. Ian was incredulous! I drank in the Red Lion! He hoped the neighbours didn't see me! Just above The Red Lion on the social scale is The Wheatsheaf, followed by The Swan. There are about 8 pubs here.

The Red Lion was recently sold, stripped out and done up as a trendy wine bar. I've not ventured in there yet but I've heard it's quite nice. I doubt Ian will ever go in there though :laugh:

I don't think I could, they'd all stare at me until I left with my tail between my legs. I still remember the horrid experience of The Star in Sparsholt. I think a case of Herpes would be more welcome than I was :biglaugh:

Tis a different world around here :wacko:

I don't think I could, they'd all stare at me until I left with my tail between my legs. I still remember the horrid experience of The Star in Sparsholt. I think a case of Herpes would be more welcome than I was :biglaugh:

Tis a different world around here :wacko:

No love, you go in and act as common as you can without being loud enough to get thrown out. Take a couple of friends with you and enjoy watching the rich gits expressions :laugh:

is class even relevant now? i think i'm technically middleclass (dad is a retired policeman) but i work in a crappy mall in a crappy city for a crappy company. so i see myself as working class.

but really, is it all relevant?

They drink across the road from the shop in The Red Lion. When my mum visited and we went out for a drink one evening I obviously went to The Red Lion because that's where the people I know are. Ian was incredulous! I drank in the Red Lion!

I've been in there :biggrin:

edited cos I wasn't sure if it was 'drunk' or 'drank' :wacko:

Edited by JoC

No love, you go in and act as common as you can without being loud enough to get thrown out. Take a couple of friends with you and enjoy watching the rich gits expressions :laugh:

Isnt that derogatory and imposing "class"?

What class is common and the rich gits? Also suggesting she "act as common as" infers she would be acting below herself making her better than.........

I think - for all our good ideas and thoughts - classifying or collectively grouping people is impossible to escape. Also I think everyone who thinks class doesnt matter these days have their head buried in the sand (just my opinion)

There's a huge difference between can't and don't or won't. Anyone with a genuine reason for being unable to work shouldn't equate themselves with those unwilling to work

Also interested where I fit in being the single mother kept solely by "the state" working hard in a well below the poverty line home to ensure her children have everything she didnt, the support from a mother that she didnt and better prospects in their life than she did? True underclass?? For all my good caring intentions I doubt very much it raises me any up the ladder of class.

However, the underclass is considered to be those that can work, but won't choosing to live off the state instead, don't care about anyone/thing, have children, but won't take responsibility for them, blame everyone else but themselves for when their kids go off the rails...am I painting the picture for you....they are the ever increasing drain on society,

I never classed myself as a "drain on society" Do you really know anyone like that? And if so, after such a dismal discription, would you call them friend?

Im interested in the funds of your bank account. (rhetorical question of course) Another classification. But seeing as this is a rescue forum can I take rescue status and thank you for your contribution. Its helping those less fortunate :flowers:

Isnt that derogatory and imposing "class"?

What class is common and the rich gits? Also suggesting she "act as common as" infers she would be acting below herself making her better than.........

I think - for all our good ideas and thoughts - classifying or collectively grouping people is impossible to escape. Also I think everyone who thinks class doesnt matter these days have their head buried in the sand (just my opinion)

Also interested where I fit in being the single mother kept solely by "the state" working hard in a well below the poverty line home to ensure her children have everything she didnt, the support from a mother that she didnt and better prospects in their life than she did? True underclass?? For all my good caring intentions I doubt very much it raises me any up the ladder of class.

I never classed myself as a "drain on society" Do you really know anyone like that? And if so, after such a dismal discription, would you call them friend?

Im interested in the funds of your bank account. (rhetorical question of course) Another classification. But seeing as this is a rescue forum can I take rescue status and thank you for your contribution. Its helping those less fortunate :flowers:

The bit I put in bold says you don't belong to the underclass either!!! I referred to people who have children, are kept by the state - BUT DON'T CARE, about their kids or much else in fact except themselves....thinks the world owes them a living etc.

The bit in italics, yes I have been in the interesting situation to have met a number of people like this. Consider them friends - uhm no.

I think the fact you want to give your kids a good life means you don't belong to what is commonly termed the underclass.

This was my further post

Yes - the long term unemployed/unemployable.....but not through sickness, ill health yadda yadda yadda but through laziness, lack of education etc etc.

x x

Edited by murtle

To assume that there IS an underclass assumes that "one"is better than that underclass and therefore above it.

That is snobbery.

To assume that people in a pub need looking down on when you may have made likeminded friends by reaching out is again snobbery.

To label a child or anybody as an underclass is a terribly damaging thing to do.I have friends without a penny who I can go to when I need help,I have friends who have the world and equally I can go to them for help. I wouldnt dream of taking advantage of either because the value I place in them is one of friendship not financial gain.

If everyone helped on person in the world then there would be less poverty,uneducatedness,hurt peopleand probably saved lives.

To save a life is to save a world