Prettiest Bitch, Best Rescue, Dog The Judge Would Like To Take Home

Registration from 11.30am

Judging will commence at 1pm

£1 for each class entered

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Right, now all is righted again, who's coming to the open day then, and making it the biggest and best yet ? :biggrin: :flowers:

ps do DNB have a stall ? If not, does anyone want to do one ? Can be tagged onto the side of our stall

I'd be happy to do a DNB stall :)

• 11 months later...

I'm a little surprised as though for the year end June 2006 I had believed Freshfields were a relatively wealthy rescue (see last available accounts with over 400k in hand) but Freshfields apparently say they are now struggling to keep going & attribute this to the above raids :unsure:

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liverpool-n...00252-20733033/

http://www.charity-commission.gov.uk/regis...0060630_e_c.pdf

I'm a little surprised as though for the year end June 2006 I had believed Freshfields were a relatively wealthy rescue (see last available accounts with over 400k in hand) but Freshfields apparently say they are now struggling to keep going & attribute this to the above raids :unsure:

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liverpool-n...00252-20733033/

http://www.charity-commission.gov.uk/regis...0060630_e_c.pdf

Thank you for sharing this and bringing it to our attention Ian. I'm just not really sure what you're trying to say by including the accounts for 2006, and saying that Freshfields are "apparently" struggling? :unsure: If money keeps going out and nothing much is coming in then a rescue, or anyone for that matter, will find themselves in financial difficulty, it's that simple. I don't think that anyone will have to come on here and justify their spending, but I believe that the police weren't exactly careful when raiding Freshfields and caused a lot of material damage - which of course they aren't compensated for - which will have eaten into the available funds :angry:

Ian, I'm not sure there are any Freshfields reps on here, so if you do have any queries, probably best to direct them to the rescue :flowers:

I know my local rescue had an appeal last year as they were running really short, and while I don't think it got to the stage of not being able to pay wages, it was the first time I can remember them having to make an appeal that desperate in as long as I've known about them. They're a big centre, with over 140 dogs, plus lots of cats and other animals, the costs soon mount up. I don't know what their funds were in June 2006, but since that's almost two years ago, I suspect things could have changed drastically in that time. I know their donations fell considerably last year, probably at a time when their in-takes and hard-to-rehomes were at their worst :(

I really hope Freshfields manage to get things sorted, it must be very worrying for them.

I guess what I'm saying is that they say they are 80k in debt now. To have had those reserves less than two years ago & given the running costs quoted / fact that those reserves would have about covered them to date, even if literally nothing had been coming in since the raids for things to have reached the stage they appear to have done suggests that something must have gone very badly wrong - based on these figures they're talking about having lost around 1/2 a million pounds in less than two years - & they are at best likely to struggle to turn around / get through those kind of losses without serious help from somewhere.

I would hope that the story has in reality been exagerated a little to help them through a sticky patch but if it hasn't then that's an awful lot of animals who could be in need of help / rescue spaces.

What can be done to avert that I don't know, but regardless of what board(s) Freshfields may /may not frequent if things are as bad as they appear to be then something will need to be done soon. Rightly or wrongly I was under the impression some of you guys may know them better than I hence be able to comment on what that might be. :flowers:

Edited by Ian

Ian, they had £400,000 their running costs at £11,000 per year at the costs given in the paper would be £572,000.

That would easily leave a deficit, the figures quoted are from June/July 2006 so that is a year and a half ago, there is every possibility that their fundraising efforts were much lowered last year following the raid, which as the accountancy figures you provided show could quite easily provide an £80,000 debt by now.

I agree though, if they are seriously in danger of closure then the prospect of rehoming in rescues their animals will be a daunting task.

:flowers:

I agree though, if they are seriously in danger of closure then the prospect of rehoming in rescues their animals will be a daunting task.

:flowers:

I think that that is what we should be focusing on, I can see absolutely no point in discussing a rescue's accounts on a forum like this. Just because they need to make their acounts public doesn't mean they should be scrutinised.

I was a freshfields rep on here but dont currently vol for them due to work but if you want ian i can certainly put you directly in touch. They are runnign very low at moment.....as are alot of rescues struggling with lack of rehoming......withdraw of dogstrust vouchers meaning vet costs going up, freshfields now have better care than ever with an on site vet a few afternoons a week....they have revamped alot of their PR stuff and the site itself ahs had alot of updating (to keep up with helath and safety....access laws etc) and all this comes at a price! as im sure many many rescue people on here can tell you. no one knows month from month what money will be coming in.

Edited by heva

Ian, they had £400,000 their running costs at £11,000 per year at the costs given in the paper would be £572,000.

Just to clarify, their running costs are given as £11k per *week* not per year, which I know is what you meant as you gave the annual total as £572k :flowers:

I don't think they have so much "lost" the money Ian, as spent it, on running the rescue, in what are very hard times for rescues across the UK, especially with certain breeds being dumped increasingly and then "sticking" in rescue.

I'm sure if anyone can offer any practical or financial help, Freshfields would be very pleased to hear from you :)

all i want to say is bad bad policemen for upsetting the poopies!! no bones for you tonight!

i am so glad the babies came home safely.

i wish i could help but all i can do is send thease thoughts.

Edited by Ciren

Just to clarify I haven't at any point suggested that I doubted they'd spent it on the animals / the rescue, nor that I have any reason to doubt that they are indeed currently struggling - actually I suggested the opposite & that they appear to be in need of serious help to keep going. "Apparently" was used only because it was the first I'd heard of it and it had surprised me, both to find what I had thought was a relatively wealthy rescue in this situation, and also that I hadn't seen the situation & appeals for help raised on any of the forums.

The only thing I would personally doubt about the newspaper report is that such a situation could be blamed solely on the police raid.

The point of posting the accounts was that, unlike the newspaper report in my opinion, which to me implies their problem is a "mere" need to cover the wages & ultimately 80k of debts, the accounts give a far better idea of the scale of their problem / "losses" and need for help.

They would appear to have "lost" / still be losing substantial sums of money - ie they have "lost" it in a financial sense, not a literal one. To turn around losses of that scale quickly would be quite a feat and so in my opinion they now appear to be facing a far bigger battle to survive than 80k.

I haven't got pots of money to give them, nor any rescue kennels / spaces to offer them & hope it wont come to them needing spaces. The point of the initial post was therefore merely to raise their plight and the fact that there appears to be a "daunting prospect" that these animals may well soon be looking for other rescue places.

Because of the police raids on Freshfields it caused a lot of negative publicity and people did withdraw their financial donations,

theres a possabilaty that they are facing closure :( .

If anyone wants to help, then theres quite a few things thats being organized around the local area,

you can contact jan robinson on LurcherLink, as she's organizing a few things,

round the liverpool and crosby areas.

http://www.lurcher.org/llink/forum/viewtopic.php?t=31742

Hopefully they can come back from this, but at the moment its not looking good.