UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

14 Stone 8 Year Old To Remain With Mum

nouggatti

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I watched an interview with her on the BBC website and she said "I gave him a piece of apple once and he didn't like it". Said it all. She also said "They said I was neglecting him and he was malnourished - well he'd be skinny if I was doing that, and he's not he's big, so that shows he's not malnourished or neglected.." <paraphrasing>.

I don't think he has any syndrome. Once you're big, you need more calories just to cart yourself about. His blood sugar must be a constant roller coaster, and he will get "waffy" quite easily if he's eating junk that digests and burns quickly, causing blood sugar to rise suddenly and crash very soon after. Unfortunately once he's on that roller coaster, it's even harder to lose weight as often the body is fooled into believing it's in starvation mode and will store the next meal as emergency rations, ie. fat.

Time for tough love before she kills him quite frankly :(

Edited by KathyM

it's a no brainer, buy healthy food!! why is there crisps and ham sitting there waiting for him to eat it? If she thinks malnourishment is only starvation, she needs to be educated. Poor child.

That's what i shouted at the TV!!!!

He's seems a lovely boy, yet he can't put his own shoes on and his knees and other joints give him pain, he's 8 FFS.

I dont understand the "my kid wont eat fruit or veg"

If kids are fed high fat high sugar foods from the start then yes they wont like fruit and veg as it will be bland in comparison, kids should be given the right foods from the time they are weaned, not taken to have a happy meal as its easier.

Im overweight, thats my choice, my responsibility and my problem..... but my 5 kids are all slim and eat a balanced diet, they do have a packet of crisps and a choc bar each day but its all down to balance, pizza and chips is ok in moderation but constant junk food feeding is irrisponsible, id be mortified if my kids were obese, it would be my fault as im responsible for their upbringing.

My kids all have different tastes, there are veg they dont like just like adults they have preferences, we should take the time to find healthly stuff they will eat, meat and two veg in our house is more like meat and 5 or 6 veg so that everyone has something they like, im also a great hider of veg, ie puree`d veg or lots of sauce to hide the taste, now my kids are older they have gotten wise but they will eat it even tho they know its there because they are used to the masked taste :D

example, i did curry last night and added peas and sweetcorn, even I dont like peas but with the curry sauce they didnt taste like peas, tonight we have spag bol, there will be at least carrot in there and finely chopped mushrooms so not very visable :cool:

As for the lad on tv, how on earth did he get that big before someone stepped in? its the mothers fault, even if it does turn out he has willi prada she should have got him checked out sooner :(

Even if he absolutely refuses to eat anything healthy at all, that doesn't explain why he is so gigantic.

If a child is overweight and really won't eat anything but pizza and chips, that's one thing, I can see that is not necessarily the parent's fault, and I am sure it must be a real git to deal with, even for the most committed and imaginative cook.

A kid that is 4 times his own bodyweight is not just eating normal-sized portions of pizza every night, or demanding pizza with tantrums.

He's being supplied with vastly more food than he needs for every meal. He can't possibly be stealing or begging that much food on the streets or at school: he must be getting it from his family, or stealing it from them, and that surely is something that they should be able to control. Even if it means only buying enough food for one day at a time, not buying any snacks, or keeping everything in a locked cupboard.

(Incidentally, my Mum often used to respond to requests for food between meals by providing a bag of dry porridge oats and a spoon. "If you are really hungry, you will eat dry oats" she said smiling sweetly. I actually quite like dry oats, but it must be said they are not so more-ish as many other foods!)

If kids are fed high fat high sugar foods from the start then yes they wont like fruit and veg as it will be bland in comparison, kids should be given the right foods from the time they are weaned, not taken to have a happy meal as its easier.

Mark wasn't fed anything sweat at first, not even the sweat baby food, sweats had to be earned by eating decent food, but he still refused to eat anything only junk food. He would have had chips for every meal if we had allowed it but we didn't.

Many people on low incomes think that fruit and veg is expensive, it used to be but now it is cheaper than the junk food. When I worked on the checkout at Asda, those on low incomes used to have lots of crisps and biscuits in their shopping baskets because it was cheaper to give the children a packet of crisps for their lunch as well as no effort to make something to eat.

It is only in recent years that more information has been easily available on eating a healthy diet and many people don't either see these or understand what they are on about. These people need educting, they need to learn what is good to eat and what is bad. Many are on low incomes and these seem to be the people who need this help more.

For 8 weeks after Bill passed away I had £37 a week to live on as well as feed 5 dogs with, it wasn't easy to do this, but I had the knowledge to do it, many people don't have that and it seems that this mother doesn't either. She needs help to help her son and unless she gets that help, he will continue to over eat and eventually die.

This isn't about condeming her, it isn't about condeming Social Services for threatening to take her son away, it is about helping this mother help her son to live a decent life. Help them now while there is a lot of press coverage and a lot more families will be helped. It is too late to start blaming anyone, but not too late to give help.

I'll be blunt (i have no kids so cannot comment on bringing them up but i will). There is only one person feeding that kid. His mother. Only one person gives into his demands for food. His mother. Only one person can save that child from eating himself to death. His mother. She asks for help then seems (imho) to find every excuse not to take it up. She said she had panic attacks and couldn't attend meetings - so get someone else to take him. Get the meetings at home. Get him help. She's killing him and she's blaming everyone but herself.

I do have kids and I agree with everything you've said. From the day they were born it's been entirely down to me what my girls eat.

I dont understand the "my kid wont eat fruit or veg"

There is a boy in Emilys class (so he's 5 years old) and he has a Happy Meal every night for his dinner because according to his delightful mother it's all he will eat :rolleyes:

I read today in the Sun online about a girl who is just as overweight as the boy in question. She eats a huge bar of chocolate every day plus a whole load of other crap. Her mother said she doesn't buy the chocolate for her daughter but that the child buys nothing but sweets with her £10 a week pocket money! Well for goodness sake don't give her any money then! What annoys me most about these type of parents is that they're allowing their children to eat such rubbish because they cannot stand the tantrums and foot stomping that happens if they say "no". Not only do these children need better diets, they need disciplining and they need to be taught respect.

Exactly Cheryl, I completely agree. No healthy child will starve themselves to death, it is just parents who have no time, patience, energy or skill, who gives in to their childrens "needs". If children were able to make good decisions for themselves, they would not be living at home, needing parental/adult help and guidance for 15-20 years.

I read today in the Sun online about a girl who is just as overweight as the boy in question. She eats a huge bar of chocolate every day plus a whole load of other crap. Her mother said she doesn't buy the chocolate for her daughter but that the child buys nothing but sweets with her £10 a week pocket money! Well for goodness sake don't give her any money then! What annoys me most about these type of parents is that they're allowing their children to eat such rubbish because they cannot stand the tantrums and foot stomping that happens if they say "no". Not only do these children need better diets, they need disciplining and they need to be taught respect.

This is general these days not just with fat children and it happened when my boys were young, many children received at least £5 a week pocketmoney and this was in the 70s. My boys got 50p a week and had to earn that by doing jobs.

I used to run a pre-school playgroup many years ago and the amount of children that had never heard the word "No" was amazing and they threw tantrums when they didn't get their own way. Very few tried tantrums twice in playgroup because it didn't get them anywhere. :laugh:

These days there is too much interference from other people as well, and we have all seen children throwing tantrums in the supermarket. I have seen mothers trying to deal with them in a proper manner only to have interferring busy bodies have a go at them for allowing their child to carry on like this. This just reinforces to the child that tantrums gets them what they want.

You are right, no child will starve themselves, they will eventually get hungry enough to eat, but how many parents can stick that out, it is very difficult. There were many times when Mark didn't eat and because I wouldn't give him what he wanted I took a lot of verbal abuse from my sister in law and in one case, she slapped me across the face. It is easy to sit back and say what you would do, but the reality is very different, how many of you would have take what I did to give my son a chance.

sorry but the mother did this

if some one had a dog which was 2 times heavier than it should be, i think we would say that it was cruelty

and i think the same here

the boy dose little to no pe at school dose not run about at home

comes in tv on and eats

i have 5 kids

all eat well and get to do things out side of school ( playing footy with there mates walking the dogs and after school clubs

we all know this is good for them it helps with freinds and growning into nice people

this kid is going to help run this world in 10 years

help make the world a better !

being a mum is not giving them all that they want

but all that they need !

he dose not need coke or take away food

he needs to be showed how to look after him self

Imagine

1/ A child who looks perfectly normal yet over weight

2/ When you see them you think they eat to much probable junk food or sweets bad parenting

3/ Their behaviour is naughty the parents seem oblivious and don't bother to correct them. Bad parents some people shouldn't have kids

1/ Yes this child is over weight but,

2/ He hasn't been brought up on junk food sweets, or fizzy drinks, he has a very nutritious diet. However what you don't see is a child with aspergers, dyspraxia and other learning disabilities.

3/ The social and language disability, along with the dyspraxia means this child is, at the time you see them, in an extreme state of raised anxiety. He is suffering pain due to the effects of his dyspraxia which makes him extremely reluctant to take part in physical activities or even walk round the shops. He is incapable of viewing his surroundings as you do. His parents have developed strategies that enable them to venture out into the community and they do not constantly chastise the child for not conforming to other peoples views of how he should behave. If they did, the child wouldn't understand and the anxiety levels would become so high that aggressive and possible dangerous behaviours will result, .he just screams, shouts and cries, but what if he ran, anything could happen he wouldn't be aware of a road. He's only aware of this awful pain, fear and stress.

My mother always told us as kids there but for the grace of God go I, so count your blessings and don't judge unless you're prepared to walk a day in their shoes.