UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

The Horse Update / Pic Thread

Clare

Oh Reds he sounds lovely, what is his name? Hope everything goes smoothly tomorrow :flowers:

I have made a little progress, I think I have found a farrier to help us, he is coming out on Monday morning, really hope he can sort him out if that is what is causing the problem :unsure:

His feet don't look great do they :mecry:

28092009(005).jpg

There didn't seem too much wrong with him yesterday as I was walking down to get him in he was standing on his back legs boxing with another horse, then running round in circles and then back to boxing :rolleyes:

This is my old boy who came from hunter chasing :wub:

T2-2.jpg

Fingers crossed new farrier has some fresh ideas Clare and VERY glad he seems 'normal'!

:wub: :wub: :wub: to your old boy, what a brilliant picture.

Am feeling a little embarrassed now - just looking up address again for tomorrow and realised who the 'lovely people' were - trainers of Red Rum!!!! I know very little about racing - apparently :rolleyes: Big gulps.

:laugh: :laugh:

I'm such a twit! Wish I didn't know now - I can see me embarrassing myself...

It was a real real treat :biggrin: Meet you there Clare :wink:

He's known as Cornish (Cornish Gale)and am hoping very much that Duke doesn't pull too many faces at him tomorrow.

Still seems very surreal as never really thought about another but very excited. Will try and get a few pics.

I am sure you will be fine, they always come across as very down to earth nice people :flowers:

I think I do recognise that name :biggrin: I wonder if he is by Strong Gale.

Good luck, I hope Duke takes to his new friend, look forward to pics!

Hi Clare

Just how I'd describe them too! :flowers: Have you been there?

He is indeed by Strong Gale, I'm impressed! :biggrin:

Loaded off the trailer when we got to the yard and he just walked to heel as it were, didn't pull or try to tank anywhere. I'm not used to horses with manners :laugh:

They've sniffed over the fence and Duke actually looked very pleased to see him and just wanted him to go over and talk to him, which surprised me. Cornish was more interested in checking out the grass decidedly non-plussed. A couple of squeals from Duke when Cornish started nibbling at his nose but he really does seem pleased to have a new companion. Going to leave them separate for a few days to get used to each other and resist the great temptation to open the field up and see how they get on!

Will sort out pics tonight.

Pictures!

I've been completely amazed by Duke as he has been SO nice to him! verging on a little desperate in fact to make friends with the new boy in the class of 1 :wub: Totally the opposite of what I expected. Cornish has not been quite so bothered and not so in need of a friend it seems, so I really hope he accepts Duke as a buddy after he's had chance to get over the shock of his move. This morning Cornish was in the field he's been in for 18months with 6 others then he's taken out, loaded up, had a car ride and moved into a new home!

The last photos I took were of Squeak but Squeak would respect anyone who took good care of his grass for him :wub:

cornish.jpg

Please talk to me

cornish1.jpg

Hello

cornish2.jpg

Borrowing Squeak's rug as it was blowing a gale (appropriately) and freezing

cornish8.jpg

cornish7.jpg

cornish6.jpg

cornish5.jpg

Please come back

cornish4.jpg

Your new boy looks gorgeous reds, how hes settling in and hows Duke with his problems.

Hope Loki's ok.

Got to stables last night to find 2 smug ponies. Annie has finally sprung Bumble out of 'prison' :rolleyes: Bumble has about a third of the field fenced off for him as he does get laminitis, luckily theres no grass left in Annies part as she sucessfully wrecked my wire and posts some beyond repair :rolleyes: Judging by the state of the field the game gallop then slam the brakes on and slide :laugh: had been thoroughly enjoyed.

Norty Annie and Bumble :laugh: :wub:

How is Cornwall and Duke getting on Reds, when is the big day for them to come together?

New farrier has been out and done a good job on Loki's feet. A new physio came out today who works with the vets, and she said the same as my normal lady, he is very tight through the ride hand side of his body, but she feels this is coming from lower down, namely his feet.

Vet is coming back out on Friday and I am readying myself to be told he has navicular :mecry:

Twenty-four xrays and we still don't know what is wrong with him :wacko:

He is still sound in a straight line, and very slightly lame on three legs lunging on the concrete :rolleyes:

Nerve blocked both front feet and he was pretty much sound, so out came the xray machine with vet saying he thought it was sidebone, only for all the xrays on the feet to be fine.

Then xrayed his back and he thought he had kissing spine, but then decided he didn't, he does have two close together vertibraes but there is no wear on them to suggest they are rubbing and everything else is perfectly spaced :rolleyes:

So there we have it, he is a medical mystery, and I am praying my insurance pays up :laugh:

Bumble and Annie :laugh: Glad the breakout was harmless fun!

Duke is doing well thanks Collies :flowers: Now up to 8hrs a day out, weight stable (read skinny) and feet good :biggrin:

VERYrelieved for you Clare that all x-rays were clear, that's brilliant news :GroupHug: Hope you can relax a bit now and get back to where you were? Fancy having a medical mystery all of your own :wub: :wub: Hope Loki has no more bother from any part of him!

Duke and Cornish are out together now. Duke completely surprised me as in did the exact 100% opposite of what I expected and was incredibly nice to C and went straight in with the hearts and flowers approach, arms wide open. C was not too keen on being quite so touchy feely so after a couple of bitten bottoms I think they are now at an understanding and are happy to follow each other round and graze together and look out for where one another is. They even shared the shelter too. Duke has taken a back seat from his senior managerial position which is so bizarre given that he was always the boss of Squeak. Completely different and I thought I knew him! I hope they can groom together eventually as Duke must miss his daily back scratching sessions.

Cornish follows you round the field when you muck out and whinnies to you in the morning :wub: His carrots and apples have to finely diced though, he simply can't eat them like a horse would. Every bit the gentleman.

Oooohh - I rode Duke too when the ground was lovely and dry as a pay off for having all day out in the field. We managed to get out for three rides and not a single jog :biggrin: We even stopped and waited for Ted to have a scratch (right in front of us - typical bear!) and then again for Ted to have a roll! Stopping and walking especially on the way home are very rare occasions for Duke. But then it was ride 5 last time before normality kicked in.

Edited by reds