UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

The Horse Update / Pic Thread

Clare

How's everyone doing with the ice?

Managed to ride on Saturday but it's not looking good for the rest of the hols. Wish Christmas could be moved to the Summer!

The metal trough connector cracked last night creating a nice fountain and a very cold job. Plus the water bucket for topping up the stable buckets cracked. Mucking the field out is taking extra long because not only do I have to find the droppings in the ice but then I have to dislodge them from the ground. Better than mud though!

I've found someone to ride on the Chase with too :biggrin: A local lady has got an ex-flat racer who's not good hacking out without company. It's a 10/15 min. trailer ride so fingers crossed for the new year.

Oooh that sounds good Reds, two racers together :biggrin:

Loki still stuck in :rolleyes: it is currently raining and forecast not to go below freezing tonight so keeping everything crossed maybe he can go out in the next fews days. Have to admit I am terrifed about putting him out again he is going to go loopy and so are all the rest I do hope we can come through it injury free, and without loosing any shoes :huh:

Wanda is also stuck in the stable, the yard was too unsafe to walk on even after load of grit. She's quite happy stuffing her face with grapes and champagne haylage. I gave her a good grooming and did some stretches but that was about all we could do. I'm really naffed off as she was super fit, if rather crazy with it and now will lose it so quickly. Getting to her is awful once I turn off the B road, my car was walzing down the hill and I can't get back up it. I have to go out down a hill which is another waltz! I will never complain about rain again.

That's the very reason why I love my 4x4 and wouldn't want to be without it! That and muddy fields!

Hope everyone's out their boxes now? And no mischief making or shoe losing from Mr Loki?! Hopefully the grass will have been more luring than tanking round the field!

Had a wonderful ride today, Cornish was an absolute star :wub: Walked through a mini flood on one of the lanes, walked past scary life-size reindeer models in a farmers garden, walked past a field with horses charging at him at the gallop, and didn't bother with anything - bar a plastic bag in the hedge, what is it with plastic bags? :laugh:

What I was so in love with him for was that when he gets scared he just stops (feet planted) and takes deep breaths, then listens to me, calms down, and gently walks on :wub: :wub: No rearing or spinning or 100mph reversing :biggrin: He just looks and then gets on with it without fuss.

Duke has his dental on Tuesday, am umming and ahhhing about whether it's worth having a general blood test just as a check up.

Cornish is such a cool dude :biggrin: Tricky one about Duke and the bloods, I personally probably wouldn't unless you have concerns :flowers:

Hope Wanda has got out of her stable and the roads are better, as soon as the dodgey weather started I nicked OHs 4x4 and I couldn't have done without it, my Fiesta would never have got around :laugh:

Loki has finally escaped with stable :partytime: he went out for the first time yesterday, it was my sharers day so thankfully I didn't have to witness it :ph34r_anim: By the sounds of it we have no idea how but he did return in one piece and with four shoes.

I have no memory of it but apparantly I had agreed to make the numbers up at a jumping clinic today :ohno02: bless him ten days in with no exercise, one day out doing handstands, three months of not going in a school, and then I throw his tack on and take him out jumping. I did think long and hard about it but I think we both needed to get out and do something we enjoy and get away from the constant analysing of whether he is happy / sound.

It was a good clinic, more rider taxing than horse. Here is a little video Linky Had to laugh the last two goes we had to canter over the first one, by the second time it was getting a bit hairy so we were told to go back to trotting :blush02:

Looks like you have had fun Claire!!!

Me and Blue are making some progress at last - had to cancel my last lesson though as the school had about a foot of snow in it. He has been running round the school being a complete nut at the moment, so am waiting till the snow and ice has gone before we venture back in there to ride!! I have had to move temporarily back in with my parents whilst the weather has been horrendous, as my car is absolutely hopeless in snow and I have got stuck several times. Thankfully we have a rota for mornings at the farm, so at least I haven't had to drag them out of bed each morning to go to the farm (they have a landy defender!!).

He has got a McTimoney lady coming to see him tomorrow to see if we can get to the bottom of his left bend issues. I get the feeling we may be doing a fair number of carrot stretches!!!

Awww Blue, you look gorgeous! :wub:

I'm so jealous of your activities Claire, we cannot do anything round here at the moment, there is an indoor arena 10 minutes away but it may as well be on the moon. We have been able to turn them in the arena for a couple of hours each day, Wanda went crazy first time and reared bolt upright. A 16.3 horse is huge when standing up straight! :ohmy: She really needs clipping, the hairy mammoth has reappeared so I have taken her rugs off, she is stark naked and loves it!

I could not find her a christmas present, what do you buy the horse who has everything? She has 56 rugs, 4 bridles, 10 numnahs and lord knows how many headcollars. She has more boots and bandages than Derby House and a sack full of carrots, what else is there! :biggrin:

What a brilliant opportunity Clare (I wanted to join in!) and Loki is definitely a star in the making. Loved the video! Are you doing any indoor competing this Winter? You must be very excited about next Summer with all the work you've put in.

Snug as a Blue in a rug Jayne :laugh: Be interested to hear what the McTim. lady says.

I'm ashamed to say ours didn't get any xmas presents although I did make a bit of a massively numpty ebay error this month and ended up winning both a Rambo supreme heavy turnout with neck cover AND an amigo heavy turnout with neck cover - both for Duke as I needed to replace his one heavy wug plus. Great to have both but really, one would have done :rolleyes:

Where do you store 56 rugs Pendlewitch?? :laugh: I could do with a new bridle if Wanda ever has a garage sale :biggrin:

Maybe just a can of guinness for her!

Couldn't believe the ice again this morning. Just as it had cleared :ohmy:

Teeth all done, Duke's currently waking up in his stable as he needed the power tools. Sharp edges and overgrown top molars which had been grinding his lower ones down :( plus a flush to remove the food stuck between his teeth. Definitely an extra carrot tonight after putting up with all of that. He said he still has good enamel though so there was some positive.

Vet was great and also reassured me about Cornish and exercise. He coughs due to food going down his windpipe from a larynx tie-back so I was always a bit concerned but feel miles better now that exercise is good.

Well, totally out of the blue last night, I decided to ride him in the menage without anyone there to tell me what to do. He had a huge spook at the hedge and decided to spin round and canter sideways, throwing his head in the air, so I just calmed him down and worked him in the non spooky area of the school, and then tried him again and he was fine. I only walked and trotted him round for 20 mins and did lots of transitions, but he was a really good boybiggrin.gif I was really proud of myself, and was over the moon when I saw my instructor (who had arrived whilst I was in the menage to do her horses, and had been watching from afar!!!)

He also had the McTim lady today, and apparently he was quite sore. He had a bit of soreness at the top of his head, a few ribs that needed putting right, his pelvis was a bit out, and he has tightness in the girth area. It was quite funny though, and I reckon I have made myself as popular as a fart in a lift though, as she wanted somewhere non slippy to put his pelvis right, so I thought we could do it in the menage. I went to look in the book where you book in, and noticed that one of my friends was in next, so I asked her if I could borrow some of her time, but added my name after her, so that she could claim her time back. Anyway, went to take Blue over to the paddock, and 2 of the other liveries were there about to loose school theirs, so I said that Tayla was due in to the school (at which point they called me a liar and said she wasn't in the school till 3.20, when it plainly said 2.20 in the book), and said we would only be 5 mins. Thankfully the YO's son's girlfriend was there, who said to give her a minute, went to get the YO, who told the other liveries to let me in the paddock, and that Tayla was supposed to be in there!!! Suspect they won't speak to me again nowrolleyes.gif

Anyhow, once she had put him back together again, she told me that I'd be best to turn him out for a couple of hours. So I turned him out with his best friend and he had a great time!!!

She wants to see him again in 2 weeks (my poor bank balancemecry.gif ), so hopefully he will be a bit better then!!!

:GroupHug: and carrots to the brave Duke wub.gif