UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

The Horse Update / Pic Thread

Clare

Will sort out the bit Clare and put it up, should be 5.5. I can tell you that it's a raised port and has copper roller bits in the middle - how descriptive!

Rode both boys today. Cornish had a standing still moment half way round where his feet were firmly planted - bless the cyclists who thought they spooked him - they hadn't, not sure what it was. Thankfully he gave up that little protest - had it been Duke we'd have been going backwards very quickly and having a right little dance about it!! Am planning to take Cornish over Cannock Chase with Ted the dog. Am I brave or what :biggrin:

Duke was a star, didn't change bits and he was going so well (i.e. steady and relaxed) that when we got to the park I thought it'd be nice to trot a little. Well not changing bits was a mistake :laugh: :laugh: Who'd have thought he'd want to gallop instead of trot? :rolleyes: We had a little canter by meeting each other half way (and because I couldn't actually find the 'trot' gear) and then carried on home, in walk still :biggrin:

Very good boy - fantastic but nutty, just how I like 'em. I wasn't feeling so bad though about not Duke getting shod and being taken out to the Chase. I was reminded of the reason for that, bit like there was a reason for the french link being in the garage - not on the the bridle :laugh:

A couple of pics. For some reason why hat is waaaaaaaaaaay too big for me, really have to get a new one. How is it now too big? Do heads shrink? :wacko:

On return after a little rain shower and C being asked to stop for a chat when he really doesn't want to. Must get mane tidied, it's thin enough to pull but I've hardly ever done that, ever.

char2.jpg

And the farmer agreed to extend the concrete in the yard too :elefant: The ledge which was a right pain, is now becoming a yard :elefant:

char3.jpg

And one of the fat fit stable kitties (who have got new beds!)

char.jpg

Cornish is looking very contented with his lot :wub:

He looks to have great feet for a TB (I am foot obsessed now :laugh: )

How do you managed to find time to ride two horses! I struggle with one :wacko:

Tomorrow I am going to get up at 4.45 and attempt to get all my jobs done so I can ride at first light and get to the park and back in time to get to work :wacko: Our school is flooded and likely to be until spring am hating not being able to ride after work, first time I have been without a school :( Didn't help that my day this weekend was Saturday :rolleyes:

On a good note though his Auntie felt confident enough to take him in the park for the first time on Sunday and said it was the best ride ever :biggrin:

Oh forgot to say 5.5" in a Myler is too big for us, the crafty beast likes to move it side to side :rolleyes: But you will get a good price on Ebay :flowers:

Edited by Clare

Glad Loki is on the mend Clare.

I am having vicarious horse buying thrills :mellow: one of the girls at work has just bought a horse and he will be near work which means I can go and see him :happy: She has waited a while for him as he was not well, he was bought by a dressage person (GB team type apparently)as he seemed to be 'neglected', she has worked on him and seen him back to health and appears to be v nice, my colleague is very happy :biggrin:

Sandra I read vicarious as various and was ready to tell you off for not spilling the beans sooner :mad: :laugh:

I trust you will be visiting your colleague with your camera :wink:

September is a long way for your Fugee supporters to have to wait Clare, give us more dates!!! :flowers:

Shame about the school and here's hoping for a dry Winter (strange things do happen).

I still harbour wishes to take Duke over a mini SJ course again but I should be realistic with his age. Plus very unlikely he'll manage to stay walking long enough to get fit enough and I don't fancy riding him a lot in jog in case he damages himself. Good to keep him off the field for a bit though without being confined to the stable.

Look forward to the pics Sandra :biggrin:

Its all happening at ours at the moment, "new" horse was spotted mounting another horse in the field for a good couple of minutes :wacko: , it appears to be the final straw for people running it and they have asked them to leave. I do feel sorry for them because before that things had calmed down, except one injury a couple of weeks ago and that was a horse that pushes his luck anyway, and there is no proof that it is the new horse causing the trouble. We have 11 boys all in one field and over half (Loki included!) are holligans. I liken them to the batchelor boys in Monkey Business :laugh:

Had to laugh I went to look at a new yard opened in the area, website looked amazing - rather clever photography it turned out :laugh: :laugh: Lovely people but a lot of work to do before I think it will work as a livery - in fact it seems they have had five different enquiries from people at our yard - and none of us have moved and we are reasonably desperate. Made our place look 5* :D

Hope the bachelors can all settle again after 'amorous boy' has found somewhere else. Must be a strain for his owners. Makes you grateful for what you have.

Did you manage your early morning start Clare and get everything done? I used to get up at that time to walk the dogs before work but could only manage it once a week and stuggle not to be asleep by 3pm :rolleyes: Have plotted that if I can wangle working at home one day, I can see to the horses and ride in the light, and be home 'at my desk' for 9. With lunch to walk the dogs. Aren't I career minded :happy:

Yard is finished and it's fab to have a level concrete floor, am so happy about it :biggrin:. I should've asked to take the concrete right the way up to the Winter field gate but I was just so pleased the farmer said yes to what he did. We have the use of the bottom of the winter field again (all be it a little less dense after the silage cropping in September) so I have had a very happy day.

Rode Cornish this afternoon round the housing estate and he was brilliant, ignored all the children coming out of school and the driveway activity. Best he's been and I've just about sussed the mounting - don't pick up the reins and be very quick. Bit daunting but works nicely :laugh:

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I had my first lesson for about 18 months today, as Blue has been playing up a lot, and really knocked my confidence. Other people can ride him and he's fine, but he is just really naughty for me. I booked a lesson with a girl on my yard who is a brill rider and teacher. She asked me to warm him up as I would normally, so she could see what we had to work on, and where we were going wrong. We got about half way round the school and he had a hissy fit and decided that the far side of the school was going to eat him and he just had a huge temper tantrum. After asking and telling him to walk down that side of the school, we did most of the lesson on the other half of the school, he was fine on the right rein, but really stiff and evading the contact on the left rein. We did lots of bending exercises on both reins, and towards the end of the lesson he was working ok ish. I then asked him to go on a circle on the left rein near the spooky horse eating corner of the school, and he had the ultimate temper tantrum with rearing and spinning etc. At this point Claire got on him, as she has lots of experience riding nutty ponies, and basically pony club kicked him when he was being naughty! He worked beautifully from then!! I got back on him, and got him walking and trotting on both reins all round the school! The lesson was supposed to only be 30 mins long, but we were riding for an hour! Will be really sore tomorrow!!! Why on earth didn't I buy one from safe cobs??!!!

Well persevered Jayne! Sorry to hear you've had your confidence dented recently though, I think we can all relate to that. At least you've got people who can help you. Hope you get to enjoy a good ride soon.

Cornish has been stabled the last few days as he came in lame on Saturday night on his hind foot. Vet came on Monday and eventually found a puncture wound right in the middle of the sensitive bit of his sole. Luckily so far no infection, just a bit of blood that came out. Dressing it but with dry animalintex and thankfully he has been a complete and total star throughout. Won't tempt fate too much though as off to change the bandage in a minute!

Hoping he can go out again soon if the wound dries enough. Vet out again tomorrow.

Have lost our muck heap too. It was in a perfect place where it's been for the last 20 years but the Farm Assured person has said it had to move away from the corn shed. It is now in a field where you have to wade through mud and go round the farm yard to get to. Oh well!

Ouch poor Cornish, wishing him a speedy recovery so he can get back out again :flowers: Hope the bandaging went well!

Reds is right Gooster I think we all go through phases where our confidence is knocked, sounds like you have a good instructor who will get you back on track in no time :flowers:

Really struggling without a school, he is still feeling his feet this shoeing but feels okay to ride, but I would much rather be riding on a surface than having to ride him out. It is getting harder to ride in the mornings too, if I want to get to the sandy tracks it is about an hour roundtrip, this morning I thought it was quite light when we headed out but my eyes must have adjusted as when we got on the road the cars with their headlights on made it seem dark :ohmy: I did have my flashing tabard on but probably still shouldn't have been out :blush02:

So I have started to look for a trailer, and am having so much trouble finding one! Because of the issues with the new Ifor Williams 506 and 511 the older models are like gold dust, especially it seems the 510s :rolleyes: I have a possible one to look at on Saturday, but not getting my hopes up as it will probably be sold by the time I can get to look at it.

Once we have our wheels hopefully we can find a school to hire and things can start progressing. So if anyone hears of one for sale please let me know :flowers:

Used to have a 510 before it got stolen! Replaced it with a Bateson Deauville which is miles better. Have no idea what the market is for trailers, I've been out of the game too long. Was going to sell mine before Cornish, thinking I'd never need it again!

Cornish can go out on Saturday after he's been shod :) Bless him he's really not happy being in all on his own in the day :wub:

:laugh: Good for you Clare! :laugh:

Hope the right one with a more genuine seller comes along very soon. Have been thinking the same about taking Cornish somewhere for a lesson. I could manage once a month.

I love my farrier! He's only going to charge me £35 to shoe Cornish :biggrin: I say 'only', it costs twice as much just to trim Duke's feet, with no shoes at all! Boys with extra special feet club :wub:

C will be very happy to get out tomorrow and Duke will be very happy to not have to babysit him in the stable :laugh:

Ooo, everyone is very busy, and me? Well after the horrid swine flu I'm back at work, pooh gah! Wanda has been having problems with a mildly arthritic hock and the box rest then hacking in straight lines did not do her any good at all. She dropped muscle and belly hit the floor, however some dedicated lunging work with the Ho has made all the difference. When I rode her last week it was like a new horse, she has developed so much muscle, her back has lifted taking her 'in foal' belly with it. :laugh:

Just had a text from YO Sam, she was hacking Wanda out with her little sister and another livery on cobbykins who is just off box rest after a tendon injury. Wandy Woo was a total plonker, apparently she has passaged, piaffed, leapt, bucked and done several bouncy bugger offs! Sam said any leg on produced at speed leg yields, any suggestion of don't do that Wanda produced even more freaky fits! Wanda's bad behaviour caused cobbykins to let go with two HUGE bucks and and sister's usually well behaved pony to have an eeeee, squeaky bouncy moment, which child handled very well thankfully.

Our arena is not good at the moment so I think I will hire the local indoor for some nice schooling sessions before I take her anywhere competitve. Her habit of bucking and kicking out sideways is not popular to say the least, those long legs of hers are a bit lethal!

Norty Wanda, :biggrin: and what's worse, I'm missing all the fun! :laugh: