UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

The Horse Update / Pic Thread

Clare

Oh Clare, your poor boy must be going through hell, this sort of horsey bullying can have a huge impact and a horse who cannot rest and feel safe will become more and more stressed. If the new horse can't be moved I would move Loki even if the stable is not ideal, maybe another more suitable stable will come up at some point.

Things have not been too good on the Wanda front, the box rest and hacking regime have taken a huge toll on her, if she is not in consistant, fairly hard work she just looses her muscle tone at a tremendous rate. I started lunge work this week and she is just falling about and looks like a pet rescue victim. I've upped her food and we have to really crack on with the fittening work now. She's just started Cartrophen, the needle is HUGE but in true Wanda fashion she says 'what needle' as I plunge it into her bum!

Edited by Pendlewitch

Ouch Wanda you brave brave girl :wub: Sending you a huge cyber carrot (maybe your mum will give you a real one from me :wink: )

I am not sure whether he is being bullied or not to be honest, he isn't fearful of him in the field and they do graze together, I wonder if its more the noise that was making him fearful, or maybe I have got it wrong and its nothing to do with his neightbour :unsure:

Thankfully he seems to be back to himself now, but does get a bit worried when its busy in the barn, there is a lot of hussle and bustle at times now it is full, but nothing he shouldn't really be able to cope with, or that he would have to cope with elsewhere. Oh to win the lottery!

We have a major firework display nearby Saturday night, so the fun continues :rolleyes:

Blimey you have all been busy since I was last here!! Group_Hug_Emoticon.gif flowers.gif laugh.gif rolleyes.gif to anyone who needs one!

Blue has settled down really well on his new farm, although am having a few issues with him at the momentrolleyes.gif Back in July, I was at a show, and he was refusing to canter, basically chucking his head in the air, doing a fast trot and having a complete temper tantrum. I put it down to the ground being quite boggy, and thought nothing more of it. However on the new farm, he is still refusing to canter even in the school. When you ask him, he again chucks his head in the air and rushes his trot and just won't go. I assumed it was something I was doing wrong, and resolved to start having lessons after my holiday, as he would canter on the lunge (no side reins) and also was fine with someone else riding him. However, I have just started lunging him with side reins on, and as he can't chuck his head in the air for the transition, he is now cantering disunited on the left rein, with a really stilted gait, and on the right rein he just races round like a wally in both trot and canter. I have asked one of the girls in Blue's barn if she would ride him for me to see if he is the same with a good rider on his back. I had thought it was maybe a saddle issue, but as he is the same on the lunge, I am at a loss again.

He is getting his teeth done at the end of the month, and am going to get a physio to look at him as soon as my work expenses hit my bank account!!

Anyone got any suggestions as to anything else it may be?

That has to be a pain response, as Collies said have a feel but don't be surprised if nothing is obvious. A physio will find whatever it is and sort him out, I'd just do straight lines until he is seen unless you find anything in the saddle area.

Wanda is stuffing both cyber and real carrots and is working well. She's been clipped again and I did a heart on her bum, looks great, YO Sam is not impressed though! :laugh: I used to do one on Dobbin and dye it pink, sad person!

Thanks guys - will have a prod of him tomorrow!

One of the girls on the farm rode him last night (she schooled him whilst I was away for me), and said he didn't feel quite right, but he cantered ok for her. Then she suggested I got on him to see if he would canter for me, and he did. Still going to get him checked out though, as just want some peace of mind that he is okflowers.gif

V arty putting a heart on Wanda's bum. I accidentally left a diamond shape on Blue's bum last year and people thought I had done it on purpose!!laugh.gif

Pics of Wanda's heart shaped bum please :biggrin:

Hope the physio can get the bottom of Blue's problem, maybe worth getting a Chiropractor if physio doesn't help, my McTimmoney lady does wonders with Loki where physio hasn't always helped :flowers:

I have some positive news for once :biggrin: Vet came out yesterday to take Loki's staples out and while he was there wanted to see him lunge on the concrete for a lameness update.

Vet was a bit :dry: that we hadn't put bar shoes on both fronts as he suggested, but I explained that farrier wanted to use that as a last resort, and give it a few more shoeings (poor guy had only shod him once with only 3 weeks growth :rolleyes: ) and on the lunge there was a marked improvement :biggrin: :biggrin: On left rein he is pretty much sound now, and very slightly uncomfortable on the right rein, but a definate improvement on both reins. So I am keeping everything crossed we are on the right track.

I now have to buy a new saddle as his one has gone back to being too tight on the shoulders, so that is at the local tack shoping hoping for a very quick sale! No second hand ones fit him at he needs very wide channel over his very wide spine and a drop panel for his very large shoulders, but he has TB withers :wacko: It really has not been the best few months :rolleyes: :laugh:

This is what I am hoping to try when saddler collects from Barnsby Saddle

Keep us updated on Blue Gooster, and how the next canter goes :GroupHug:

Brilliant news Clare, it's great to have a vet visit that leaves you feeling really GOOD :biggrin:

Fingers crossed for a quick saddle sale, Barnsby one looks and sounds ideal. I'd quite like one myself!

I too have saddle news :biggrin: I had a saddler who was recommended by a friend come out to check Duke's saddle on Cornish and he said IT FITS :circle: I don't have to buy a new one :partytime: It may need adjusting if he develops a lot of muscle on his tree line but nothing that can't be sorted if needed. Saddler was brilliant and for the first time I actually understand a bit (very small bit) about saddle fitting.

OTHER NEWS AND THIS HAS MADE MY DAY

Day off work today and as the weather was rubbish on Sunday I missed the chance to ride Duke so we went on a HACK this morning- on the ROADS. We did one of our old rides and were out over an hour. This is the first time I have hacked Duke out, besides the farm tracks, for about 2 whole years. I was always worried about his feet as he's unshod especially with the jogging. But after being so good round the tracks the last few times and as he can't handle stones and now the fields are deep from the rain, I was very brave and went off down the road. Duke DIDN'T JOG :bigsmiley: He was forward going but completely sensible and didn't bat even half an eyelid at anything - apart from the plastic bag in the hedge! Still not too patient waiting to cross the roads but he walked all the way around, right back up to the farm. Only time he had a little jog was in the field where we always used to canter. Maybe at nearly 27 he has finally decided it's ok to walk :laughingsmiley:

He was also better without his shoes, first time he's been ridden on the road barefoot, much less tripping and a lot more sure footed. It was a dream, I honestly cannot remember the last time he hacked out without jogging on the way back. It was something I didn't think we'd be able to do again. And it was so lovely not having a sweat soaked horse on return :))))

Cornish however was sweat soaked when I got back - he'd had a little stressy fit about Duke being gone so long! Saturday will be the first time I sit on Cornish, just need to get a larger girth and we can ride. I can't wait!!!!!

Oh and I've remembered how not good for your back, riding is LOL

:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: Good boy Duke! Its so lovely when everything comes good isn't it :flowers:

I wonder what Cornish will be like to ride, he looks lovely and athletic, I bet he gives a lovely feel :wub:

Another horse got a nasty kick wound yesterday, I think we are going to have to push to separate the group. I am starting to feel like I am coming over as if I have a grudge about the new horse but I don't I just want to protect Loki and his friends. I know he is a playful sod in the field as are quite a lot of them, and the horse that was kicked is a bit of a pain, but we have never had so many nasty injuries before :(

The YM argument for not separating them is that they will all have to go back together when the main field is rested from Feb - Aug, but I think if they are separated and the injuries stop then I would rather move him in Feb than put him back, I feel like we have had lots of warnings and we would be stupid to ignore them. If yesterdays kick had been on the leg then it would have been a terrible outcome :mecry:

Might have our saddle fitting later, if saddler can fit it in :biggrin:

Hope there's been peace in the field since your last post Clare? It's not nice to see horses separate but if one is the cause of bad injuries then it's got to be the better option :GroupHug: Could the new horses' owner be persuaded to remove the hind shoes for a few weeks whilst the group settles, or do you think it's more than just being a new boy?

Did you get the saddle fitting?? Very excited for you!!

I rode Cornish today for the very first time :biggrin: He stood good as gold whilst I tacked him up and got ready and I'm hugely relieved to say that although he had a few whinnies to Duke (and in reply to Duke!) he didn't nap or refuse to go anywhere or do anything daft :biggrin: We walked half way down the lane and then back up over the tracks, past Duke's field and back across the road and round another field before rain stopped play. Bad planning on my part to go past the horse fields but apart from the whinnying he didn't have any problem with it at all. Duke's one fault was being nappy so I'm so pleased Cornish was true to his reputation and had no worries about going out off on his own :wub: Eyes were out on stalks at the usual 'new' stuff like the 'STOP' markings on the road and the reversing mirror in the hedge, and the barn on the hill but he didn't do anything which is just like how he is on the ground - looks but doesn't physically react. Will have to save up for some lessons now and get us both fit. I didn't even need to adjust the bridle, so they can share nicely. I do love my boys :wub: :wub:

Have another day off on Monday so fingers crossed for good riding weather, and we'll also see if Duke can manage another ride without napping and if Cornish is a little more relaxed about Duke being out without him. I'd accepted not riding Duke again because of the jogging but started again after the laminitis so if he can keep walking, he may have a new lease of life!

Interesting day. The farm yard right outside the stable yard is being dug up and re-surfaced with a new flat concrete layer. Hoping the farmer will extend the concrete outside the stables too but we'll see...

Tacked Cornish up and wasn't bothered by the digging or noise. We had to go through the field and out the back door so to speak to get out though as the yard was up. The new flat surface will knock out my perfect mounting block!! Hence had to take him into the field and mount there with Duke in the stable. Managed to get on (not as easy as it once was :wacko: ) and we then literally flew for a few seconds - all four feet off the ground at the same time, kind of a joint rear and buck all at the same time. I was imagining how I was going to land but after one big kick to tell him to get on, he stood still and continued as good as gold. It was quite funny afterwards :laugh:

We went round the housing estate after the tracks and all was good - tractors and traffic no problem. Standing still to cross the road is a novelty I could get used to :biggrin:

He's a lot like Duke, only with manners :wink:

He does grind the bit and can grab it so any ideas as to what would be best are most appreciated. Currently in Duke's old dressage bit, a hanging cheek french link. I might even be brave enough to try Duke in that again - brakes were always a bit lacking :rolleyes:

Ooh that sounds exciting Reds :laugh: Might he be a little cold backed do you think?

As far as bits go can't really help, still trying to find one Loki goes well in! I always revert back to the cheapie french link that was his first bit and he seems to like the best! I think its just trial and error. Ebay is a great place to get bits to try as I found it can get very expensive buying them new and then finding he didn't like them :rolleyes:

I have a saddle sort of :biggrin: They tried a prototype on him they only made a couple which accomodate for prominent shoulder blades, this one happens to be left over so if it is okay I can have it for £350 less than if I have one made up for him. Our school is flooded so have been a bit stuck to give it a good try out, they kindly left it with me to trial and have managed a couple of hacks and he seems much happier in it and feels really good.

The only issue appears to be its a 17.5" and my bum is a bit too fat for it, but if that turns out to be the only problem then I think I will loss the 1/2 inch and save the money :laugh:

It is being checked again on Saturday to see how it has settled, and I will either buy this one or get the same type made to measure, although saddler says for him it is exactly how she would have had one made.

Farrier came out yesterday and was pleased with the progress of his feet, so everything crossed we are coming out of the dark :)

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: to the half inch

The saddler mentioned cold backed when he first put the saddle on him. I put it down to it being a long time since he'd had a saddle on but yes Clare, perhaps you're right! I'm a bit on the slow side :laugh:

Brilliant about Loki's feet and what a good bit of luck that would be with the saddle - fingers crossed.

I had similar experience with bits with Duke and have a couple of Myler/Kangaroo bits I would sell on ebay - if only I could remember what they were :rolleyes: I'd completely forgotten I had the one and didn't keep the box :wacko:

I might put a picture of it up on here and we can have a quiz to guess what it is!