UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

The Horse Update / Pic Thread

Clare

If interested, you can see the extended pedigree for Cornish Gale at: Pedigree - some very well known ancestors there. When I saw the pictures, he reminded me of a mare that was at the yard where I was a working pupil many moons ago. She was by Nearco. She used to terrify me over cross-country fences, her brakes were diabolical! Lol

Finally have my old fellow, Merlyn stabled in his new box at night now and, so far, he's not attempted to barge through the door or remove a wall to make his escape. I guess he realises that concrete blocks aren't quite the same as a timber framed building, or else old age is catching up with him. He is, indeed, showing his age now, and his teeth seem to have stopped growing. He's obviously lost weight now to what he was even a year ago. :( I'm hoping he will hold his own for a while yet, but we'll just have to see. It's not taken him long to realise he goes in at nights, and he's ready and waiting at the gate in the afternoons, darting through for a bit of fresh grass while I keep Bronnie back in the field. As soon as I show a bucket heading for the stable, the grass on the yard is forgotten and he can't wait to get inside. :laugh:

Aww Merlyn :wub: Sounds like he secretly rather likes his creature comforts :ph34r_anim:

Hope Duke and Cornwall are striking up a good friendship :flowers: and you are still have calm rides on Duke have you passed ride number 5 yet :unsure: :laugh:

Loki is doing okay, I have started to long rein and ride a bit, just in walk, he does seem to be getting back to his old self, he is more forward and softer to ride, I would say 80% himself, so fingers crossed with a few more shoeings we will get there. Not sure if riding is the right thing to do or not, but it is very gentle and I tend to long rein more than ride, and my sharer is always very careful with him. Vet and physio said to keep him ticking over, more than I am doing really, but I think he will tell me when he is ready to do more than walk and at the moment I don't think we are there.

I have just spoken to Toggi who have been great and have left the lesson date open for when he is better, which is so nice of them I am quite overcome :biggrin:

Twenty-four xrays and we still don't know what is wrong with him :wacko:

He is still sound in a straight line, and very slightly lame on three legs lunging on the concrete :rolleyes:

Nerve blocked both front feet and he was pretty much sound, so out came the xray machine with vet saying he thought it was sidebone, only for all the xrays on the feet to be fine.

Then xrayed his back and he thought he had kissing spine, but then decided he didn't, he does have two close together vertibraes but there is no wear on them to suggest they are rubbing and everything else is perfectly spaced :rolleyes:

So there we have it, he is a medical mystery, and I am praying my insurance pays up :laugh:

Not sure if you are into alternative stuff, but I know a man who claims to communicate with animals, he is also a horse person through and through, into his dressage, but all on the horses terms (no roll kur or push me/pull you riding here!). If you want, I can put you in touch and he can have Loki tell you what is wrong with him!? He is a really nice guy :flowers:

Thanks Al for the pedigree, great to see :flowers: :flowers: It's nice knowing the ancestry of one of your animals - even if I don't have the knowledge to fully appreciate it!

Duke was the same as Merlyn - bucket off food made him forget his stable woes and he's be waiting at the gate to come in :laugh:

Clare - any further improvements with Loki? Fantastic that Toggi will wait until you think fit. Make sure you let us ALL know when it is so we can buy up all the issues :wub:

I left Duke out last night for the first time in what seems like a very long time. Being in the stable so much has been great for the bit of seedy toe he has and it's even pretty much cleared up now. I can see me being soft on them again this Winter!

Worried about return of laminitis but Duke has 10 kilos of weight to play with (as in potential gain)and he really is still very skinny so for the last few weeks of the Summer field grass he can spend a few nights out which is something he has been asking for lately by walking in the opposite direction to the stabe at fetch in time :rolleyes:

It's made Cornish happy as he will actually go down the bottom of the field away from the stables to graze overnight now that Duke is out with him. They were in the shelter together again this morning which is reassuring.

Oh and we have a few sunken fence posts - turns out when Cornish was on his nightly vigil in the paddock in front of Duke's stable, he'd park his bottom on the top rail of the fence, rest one back leg and go to sleep!! :wacko: Wondered why the fence wasn't quite as sturdy as it was - thought it must be his windsucking :laugh:

Duke and Squeak's vet who was just wonderful with both of them, especially taking care of Squeak and all the arrangements, has reached the final of Petplan equine vet of the year. It's not announced yet but I hope it goes to public vote.

Hopefully I have managed to sort out livery for Pablo and Welina for when we move in December. Spoke to a nice farmer who has stables and all year turnout.

Had an awful afternoon yesterday. Steve phoned me whilst I was at work to say he was going to the stables as one of the other liveries had called round hysterical that she had had a call from yard to say that Pablo was stuck in the field fence and needed a vet (they phoned her as she is german and could get to us). I left work straight away and of course was imagining the worst, how I drove with tears running down my cheeks without crashing I don't know. The 20 minute drive took forever. Anyway, I was nearly home when Steve called again to say not to panic, it wasn't as bad as first thought.

It looks like he had kicked out at the horse in next field and caught his leg on the tape then when he brought it back again he was stuck so kicked back again. The tape had wound around his leg. The vet came and although there are quite a few deepish scores in his leg and a lot of exposed skin, he only needed an antibiotic jab.

Thank god for the two young boys that had been walking their dogs past the field :flowers:

Edited by Angel155

Hopefully I have managed to sort out livery for Pablo and Welina for when we move in December. Spoke to a nice farmer who has stables and all year turnout.

Had an awful afternoon yesterday. Steve phoned me whilst I was at work to say he was going to the stables as one of the other liveries had called round hysterical that she had had a call from yard to say that Pablo was stuck in the field fence and needed a vet (they phoned her as she is german and could get to us). I left work straight away and of course was imagining the worst, how I drove with tears running down my cheeks without crashing I don't know. The 20 minute drive took forever. Anyway, I was nearly home when Steve called again to say not to panic, it wasn't as bad as first thought.

It looks like he had kicked out at the horse in next field and caught his leg on the tape then when he brought it back again he was stuck so kicked back again. The tape had wound around his leg. The vet came and although there are quite a few deepish scores in his leg and a lot of exposed skin, he only needed an antibiotic jab.

Thank god for the two young boys that had been walking their dogs past the field :flowers:

Glad the silly horse hasn't hurt himself badly Andrea.

Glad Pablo's injuries weren't as bad as feared, hope he is on the mend now :flowers:

Sounds like Duke and Cornwall are really bonding :wub: I think we need photographic evidence :D

Thanks for the suggestion Anne, I have a Reikki lady coming out to see him soon and if that doesn't bring anything to light I will take you up on your kind offer thank you :flowers:

I don't really know if he is improving or not :rolleyes: Because everything is so subtle its really hard to see progress, his pasterns are definately not swelling as much thats for sure.

We are looking to buy a trailer early next year and I have just discovered if I used the trailer money as a deposit I could probably just about manage (with the help of OH) to get one of these on finance Sonic it is a completely mad idea, but oh wow how lovely are they :laugh:

Agghhh just popped down to get Loki in (late lunch hour :rolleyes: ) to find him covered in blood, in a horror movie stylie.

Looks like he has been kicked and taken lump out of his jaw / chin, then rubbed it all over his legs and body, I have never seen so much blood ever :huh: Managed to stop the bleeding and have left him under supervision with another livery while I've come back to work after a very long lunch "hour", and now waiting for a call from the vet who should be with us in the next hour. Not sure if there is much he can do but I will feel better when it has been looked at properly and got come AB's :rolleyes:

Forget the horsebox I am going to be paying vets fees for the next year :(

All stapled back together :rolleyes: Seemingly none the worst other than that :flowers:

I have a real concern with Loki (well I have quite a few :laugh: ) lately he has become incredibly nervous in his stable, for example this morning I lent over to pick up his feed bowl and had a small box of antibiotics in my hand and he ran to the back of his box and climbed the wall, whereas normally he would be inquisitive. He is doing this a lot lately with insignificant things, and also with rugging and I have no idea why :huh:

I have seen this behaviour from him before at the first yard and I put it down to being stabled next to 2 very loud dogs who I thought at night may be jumping at his stable door, and having JCBs etc passing close to stable, and generally being horse unfriendly, but I know that isn't happening here.

The only thing that has changed is we have two new people who are lovely but they and their horses seem to have changed the atmosphere in the barn, I can't really explain, its noiser and the energy is different :wacko:

I know he is incredibly sensitive and perhaps this has tipped him over the edge, but what on earth can I do about it, I can't keep moving him, and there are no other obvious places to take him.

The only other thing I can think of is that he has been on some homeopathic rememdies, I will stop those but not sure whether they would have that effect?

I really don't know what to do about it :err:

Thanks Anne :flowers:

I think I may have found the cause of his behaviour, the horse stabled next to him it is coming to light has a few issues, they moved in a couple of weeks ago. I have seen him giving Loki a hard time in the field trying to force play, but as he seems happy enough out I am not too worried about that as long as no further injuries appear.

But at his other yard the new boy used to box walk, kick the walls etc, this morning whilst mucking out he started kicking the wall between my stable and his (he is over 17hh so not a delicate flower :rolleyes: )

I think this would be enough to upset Loki as he is so sensitive, and given what is happening in the field he probably feels he can't escape him! It possibly explains also why I keep finding chucks of tail hair in his bed, he is probably fast asleep and the kicking or something starts happening next door and he shoots up in the air treading on his tail :( It would make me a nervous wreck!

A very kind lady has offered to swap stables as her mare wouldn't care, but her stable is right at the end of the block and its a bit tight for space, not a stable I would want to be honest, they say I should ask that the new horse is moved but I feel like I am making a fuss, and as its a stable I wouldn't like why should I expect someone else to go into it.

And is it Loki's issue or the other horses :wacko:

Loki has seemed much better the last few days, but I guess it all depends on what is going on next door.

Agghh I don't know what to do :mecry:

Clare, please get something changed for Loki's sake :GroupHug: Years ago i knew of a horse that suffered depression as he was constantly picked on by the horse in the next stable. This horse would kick the walls, try to bite Glen as he was leaving or entering the stable. Glens life became such a misery and after a while he refused to eat or drink and was being pts the next day. I could see what was happening but the owner didnt believe it was all down to the bullying , neither did the vets. Anyway, i persuaded them to let me take him on a weeks trial, so i collected this skin and bones creature and boxed him to my friends yard. The transformation was amazing, even when the vets came to check on him a week later they were stunned :laugh: He was still a wreck to look at but had that spark back in his eyes The week turned into several years :rolleyes: and he was a happy lad.

Dont underestimate the impact it could have especially as Loki is so sensative :GroupHug:

Edited by collies r best