UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

The Horse Update / Pic Thread

Clare

Oh Loki, huge no box rest thoughts!

Wanda had a trip up to the vet clinic, nerve blocked and x-rays. Her near hind is fine but there are some arthritic changes on the off. She had a steroid injection today and is on 4 days box rest, (Loki, do not listen)! She then has to be turned out in a small area and does a week of walk hacking, then a week of walk and trot hacking. No school work, straight lines only, that will make her day! :biggrin:

She is a star though, :wub: she travelled to the clinic stuffing her face with haylage, unloaded and popped herself into a box. 'Where's the grub' was her only comment, she never batted an eye with the block and stood humming to herself for the x-ray after having a tiny amount of sedative. No sedative needed for the steroid, just twitched her, which she loves the weird horse, and held a front leg up. Have left her tonight once again stuffing her face, she is so predictable!

Aww Wanda sounds like you enjoyed your day at the vets :wacko: :wub: Hope the steroids help :flowers:

Vet was happy that is was a minor splint, he is sound on it even on a circle in the carpark, which actually threw up very slight lameness in the other front leg :wacko:

He said he was fine to be ridden and turned out, as long as things don't start to get worse.

I am feeling a bad mummy though, as thinking about it for the last I think two weeks he has been coming out of his stable a bit pottery in front in the mornings, but after about four strides he is fine. This morning it was really noticable but again dissapeared, I went for a short ride but wasn't happy with him and came back. I asked the McTimmoney lady to look at him and she found him sore in his neck, where he wasn't when she treated him three weeks ago, so thinking there is more going on with him than the splint. Have decided to give him a week off and see if it eases with the bute he is on for his leg.

Hate not knowing what is going on, and not being able to go to the tack shop and buy something to fix it :rolleyes:

Hindsight is a wonderful thing Clare. Guess that's how we learn in a way.

Hope Wanda and Loki are both getting back to normal?

How did the move with Blue go Jane?

Vet out again on Thursday, I haven't dared ask what the bill is yet with both of them having had emergency treatment! Going to ask them to check Squeak as well re: a dental. Bit tricky that one as he needs heavy sedation just to wear the mouth speculum. Last time he nearly fell over whilst under and it was just a little bit stressful! Hence haven't had him done for many years but with the compaction and dropping his hard food and now not finishing his haylage, think it'd be just as well to check.

He also has a bad leg which a week of box rest and extra bute didn't make much difference to so in for a penny in for a grand as they say :rolleyes:

Duke doing well, need a final weigh in and to see how much turn out he can have. Day off today so might take some piccies.

It's rug replacement time this Winter as some are no longer repairable so going to do some looking around on ebay. It would be the expensive heavy weight ones that need replacing!

Squiggles :wub: Not looking forward to Thursday! (left fore is the poorly leg, swelling just above fetlock)

asqueak.jpg

as2.jpg

as4.jpg

After the kitkats after I'd removed the flakes of straw they were sleeping against, daring me to go ahead and remove the string as well from under them - I didn't !

ascats.jpg

Hope all goes well with Squeak today :flowers: He is looking great, how do you keep him so clean!

Loki still puzzling me, he comes out of his stable very very short in both fronts, after about five strides he is back to moving normally :wacko: His front legs are slightly swollen in the morning but only fetlock and below, and this goes down out in the field. He is on one sachet of bute for the splint (which doesn't appear to be bothering him at all!) and it hasn't helped the pottering.

I have my usual McTimmoney lady coming out tonight to see if she can find anything, but the sports physio man I really wanted out can't come until 22nd Sept :(

Really don't know what to do with him work wise, he is becoming full of himself but I am only lightly working him as I don't know what is going on, but I am getting reports of rather of lot of fast work being carried out in the field :rolleyes: . I feel another vet visit coming on before I go on holiday next week :dry:

Awful awful day.

Got to let Squeak go to the rainbow fields 8am tomorrow morning.

Ruptured deep digital flexor tendon. He was nerve blocked for navicular when he was 4 years old and vet thinks it actually wasn't navicular at all but a slight rupture of the tendon which was misdiagnosed. It does explain a lot and I totally trust his opinion.

Nothing that can be done for him; because he can't feel the pain in his foot the swelling is now going up his leg and it's that pain that he is feeling. Bute isn't even touching it :mecry:

My parents are on holiday and have had to give the awful news to his old and first ever owner.

It's my birthday tomorrow and my birthday money is going on paying for them to take his body and do the cremation. I've never lost a horse before. My head is all over the place, I went to the supermarket to buy carrots and instead of saying "thank you" to the cashier for a bag, the words that formed were "good boy"!

I don't know what me and Duke are going to do without him, I even fleetingly thought about letting Duke go at the same time as they are such a strong pair :mecry:

Spring a couple of years ago:

awow.jpg

wowz.jpg

yum.jpg

Squeak's old Mum came round to see him tonight and a friend came over too especially, so he has had a carrot and fuss party. Still bright and normal Squeak, just on 3 legs :(

Lisa used to be on the GB dressage team as a junior before she moved up to horses and was telling me of Squeak's days at Goodwood! Or rather Waterman IV to give him his proper title. But most impressive of all was his real age - he was born in 1980 :wub: :wub: :wub:

Still in shock really, I knew his time was getting shorter but didn't expect this so suddenly.

Lisa will be there in the morning as well so that's good. Just dreading it.