UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

The Horse Update / Pic Thread

Clare

I can see why you won Clare, a very deserving winner!! Fabulous opportunity to be photo'd too.

Very worrying times at home, Squeak hasn't been eating for a couple of days and he is the equine lawnmower and even though he is very very strongly bonded to Duke (who is in the stable about ten feet in front of the field) he has never been like this before so worried it's physical. Could of course just be a teeth issue. Might be another day off to spend with the vets!

Wait and see game with Duke, week by week.

Repeat after me, "My horses are not old and they are going to live for at least another 20 years".

Am exhausted. Horrible day. Called the vet for Squeak before I went to work, my Dad called to say it was 50:50 and vet wanted to speak to me asap re: whether or not to sanction a possible major operation (I didn't), start balling at work, called his old Mum to let her know, come lunch time things were looking like being in the good 50 and as of 5 minutes ago, tentatively in the clear.

Rectal blockage, fortunately no signs of colic so after liquid paraffin and 'unpleasantries' by vet and lots of gas released, he is now looking ok. :)

Am exhausted. Horrible day. Called the vet for Squeak before I went to work, my Dad called to say it was 50:50 and vet wanted to speak to me asap re: whether or not to sanction a possible major operation (I didn't), start balling at work, called his old Mum to let her know, come lunch time things were looking like being in the good 50 and as of 5 minutes ago, tentatively in the clear.

Rectal blockage, fortunately no signs of colic so after liquid paraffin and 'unpleasantries' by vet and lots of gas released, he is now looking ok. smile.gif

Scary - sending hugs to you and SqueakGroup_Hug_Emoticon.gif

That's so exciting Clare about the lesson - I subscribe to H&R, so will be looking out for you! I am always tempted to enter comps, but I don't ride well enough to enter them!! They'd spend their whole time yelling at me to get on the right diagonal (I am a hell of a lot better than I used to be but still forget!!)

I'm on the search for yet another farm. I really don't want to move Blue again, as he is settled and happy, however unfortunately the only 2 people on my farm who hack out and go to shows are moving off to a yard which is too far away for me to travel to. As I can't hack out on the little monster at all, once they go, I won't be able to ride out. Also, we have to pay £5 to use our school for an hour, which I begrudge doing, as it used to be free, but they have put a new surface on (despite putting the rent up last year to pay for the school!), and are now charging everyone. Also, the fencing and grazing isn't brilliant, but tbh, I think that wherever Blue is, he'll still prefer his stable to the field!!!

Is there a local riding club near you Jayne? Might be useful in terms of contacts of people close to you who you could meet up with for rides?

It is great to be able to have a school to use even if you're paying for it twice. I'd still have ridden Duke if we'd had a surfaced area.

You've just reminded me that our livery hasn't gone up for a couple of years, think the farmer must be mellowing. I have been there for over 15 years though so I think a cap is more than reasonable! I am now touching a lot of wood......

Just come back from seeing Squeak, he's started eating again but has had a very rough day and he looked like a new baby, all vulnerable. He's bruised quite badly as he fell over during one of the procedures but at least things seem to literally be passing :wub: :wub: Few days box rest so he doesn't eat too much to make up for lost time.

The horse vets have been really caring, makes such a difference.

You're having an awful time at the moment Reds, glad Squeak is better, hows he today? Also hows Duke doing?

I nearly lost my old horse to the same as Squeak. Got to the yard one morning and took one look at Glen , knew something was wrong and called emergency vets. As luck would have it the vet on call was picking up a locum vet from the airport and he was a horse vet. Luckily Glen pulled through but it was touch and go for a while, its scary how quick things can go wrong.

Edited by collies r best

Thanks Collies :flowers:

I think Duke is ok, need another check with the hoof testers and another week in before we really know more. He's still on two butes a day though so more waiting and seeing. Will speak to the vet tomorrow. He's fine in himself so am seriously hoping it's a one-off. Just feel like wrapping them all in cotton wool.

Oh Reds how terrifying, poor Squeak :GroupHug: So glad to hear he is doing well :flowers: Your two boys are giving you a real rollercoaster ride at the moment aren't they. Fingers crossed for a vet free time from now on :GroupHug:

Had a scary moment yesterday, I was out hacking and had got off to unlock one of the park gates on the side of a no through road when a huge lorry came flying into the road, I guess he had chanced a small gap in the traffic as he just kept coming even though Loki was in complete panick :mecry: I though he was going to run through the fence, then he went up and having dragged me back away from the gate saw a gap a shot through it, thank god I managed to keep hold of him, but it really shook me up :mecry: I know it was just wrong place at wrong time but it does knock the confidence, why is damm confidence so easy to lost and so hard to get back :rolleyes:

Forgot to say, Gooster have you checked here BRC to see if there are any riding clubs around?

Good luck with trying to find a yard, it is so hard to find somewhere that has everything. Saying that I think being charged for using the school is really cheeky and I would be miffed too :ohmy:

Group_Hug_Emoticon.gif Group_Hug_Emoticon.gif Group_Hug_Emoticon.gif

Some drivers just have no common sense! Glad you are ok!

A few weeks ago I was hacking back from a show, and all the others had gone on ahead and left me, when I noticed there was a bus behind us, so I pulled into a side road to let it past, only for it to stop at a bloody bus stop right in front of us, totally cutting Blue's view off of the road. He panicked and started to rear and spin in the middle of the roadohmy.gif Eventually the bus pulled off, but Blue continued being a plank, so I had to get off and walk him back to the bridle path where we were heading for! I was so annoyed!!

Gooster, please give your friends a lecture about leaving you behind . I've witnessed a terrible accident where in a similar situation the horse panicked to catch up to his friends and went straight into a car. The sight of that horse standing there with a badly broken leg was awful and i'll never forget it. He was put down immediately :mecry:

Gooster, please give your friends a lecture about leaving you behind . I've witnessed a terrible accident where in a similar situation the horse panicked to catch up to his friends and went straight into a car. The sight of that horse standing there with a badly broken leg was awful and i'll never forget it. He was put down immediately :mecry:

:GroupHug: An awful awful thing to have witnessed.

Couldn't agree more though, I always had that trouble with the friend I used to ride with. She would never wait at road junctions and as Duke is nappy and typical mad TB, you can imagine the situations that resulted in. I would always say at the start of the ride that she MUST wait for me.

Glad you managed it all ok and hope the show was a good experience. I do like the sound of Blue - cheeky but full of talent!