UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

The Horse Update / Pic Thread

Clare

You are braver than me venturing into novice classes, I come out in a nervous sweat just thinking about it :laugh:

Hope Blue's face is healing well :flowers:

I am off to Smiths Lawn in a couple of weeks, it is something I have put off, they do them once a month and it is in hacking distance through the park but it is a massive show and they also run showjumping and ...... carriage driving :rolleyes:. So it makes just hacking there a challenge!

I have wimped out of P14 as giving and taking the reins in canter on a grass arena is just going to end in tears (well a swift exit out of arena anyway :rolleyes:) so doing Intro A this time, if we survive and want to go back then a prelim next time :D

Just recieved my ebay bargain Sprenger bit, so hoping I have finally found a bit he settles in!

Edited by Clare

I just realised I had not posted here about our new mare Welina :) She is about 17 hh chestnut Hannoverian (there are photos on my Facebook, will get some on here).

She is fantastic nature...however she is costing a lot in vet bills, had a very expensive week.

We had her vetted at the yard, and we know that she is a roarer (not major) but the vet suggested that before we commit to buy her we had a endoscopy to see the severity of it. The outcome is that it wasn't too bad, from birth so not going to deteriate (it is very common in big horses). Then we had to get her vaccinated. Thought that was the end of the vet bill.....until tonight. Yesterday evening I noticed that Pablo had kicked her at the side of her hock. She trotted up sound so I just cleaned it up. This evening, we brought her in, still sound but swollen, so called the vet out. She had to sedate her, clean it up antibiotics and bute.

Main problem is though, we were due to move the horses to our new yard tomorrow, we are moving about 2 hours away. As the vet wants her checked on Saturday, we decided to delay it so she can be seen by the same vet. Moving them now on Sunday.

Oh well never mind, the joy of horse ownership eh?

• 4 weeks later...

What's large, brown with black trim and hysterical?

WANDA

Honestly she seems to have lost the plot big style and is over reacting to just about everything, some calves ran down the field towards her and she freaked, she was convinced they were going into attack mode. They were on the other side of the hedge by the way. :)

I lunged her today for about 20 minutes and after the first 15 when she bucked, screamed, took off, kicked out at me and swung her head giving me evil glances she decided to calm down and did 5 mins of good work. She came back in a fair bit quieter though, silly horse. We have entered dressage on 2nd August,(P14) I have not mentioned it to her so she can't plan a sick note or shoe removal!

Angel, how is Welina after her kick?

Duke's feet are bad, just got back from work and my Dad had just come back from the vet visit :mecry:

Box rest for 3 weeks. Don't know if I'm in shock or just so used to life's crap. I was driving home worrying about Jack and begging for something in life to go something other than bad when I get hit with this.

I'm having a sulk/rant and this is the only place I can do it really. I rode Wanda last night and she was more than a bit twitchy in her head. Today she was worse and her breathing was elevated, she is allergic to pollen so I knew the reason. Instructor arrived 3/4 hour late (not happy about this) and we discussed Wanda, she quite rightly said that dropping the Pollenex dose level from highest poss was probably the right thing to do but you don't know you've dropped it too far until it's too late, so adandonded the lesson. It's easily sorted, have given Wanda her steroid inhaler which she loves and will do again tonight, also have upped the Pollenex.

Pollenex is screamingly expensive but it works and I don't mind the cost so why should my otherwise lovely YO take issue with this an continually suggest I try something different/cheaper, off Ebay or whatever and also again continually suggest that Wanda is fine and it's in my head? Wanda was moving me in the saddle at the halt so her breathing was deff raised and instructor agreed, it's easily fixable so again why the resistance to Wanda having a problem?

Add to the rant bit that the bloody yard chickens are driving me mad, they come in the tack room, climb on the work tops and poop on everything or scrat it on to the floor. Nothing is safe from the damn things, I put a leaflet down an within minutes it's covered in chicken poop! Also the floor is covered and the poop is decidedly slippery and disgusting!!! Arrrrrrrrrrrrrgh!

Now the sulk bit: I seem to be the yard photographer but no-one ever offers to take a pic of me and Wanda so today asked YO if she would, just a simple posed one, nothing too fantasic. She just laughed and wandered off poo picking, I was not impressed to say the least so I'm still sulking about it. Think I will get a professional photographer to come take one, so there!!

Feel better now! :)

Sorry it's been unpleasant on the yard Pendlewitch. Is there an allergen test the vet can do?

Duke seems ok after the initial scare. I felt sick this evening though when his head didn't come over the door, even after I opened the yard gate. He was having a snooze at the back of his box bless him and seemed quite startled when I appeared!

Still very worried both for now and the future but at least he seems ok and not in too much pain. He is the most beautiful horse in the world.

Sorry to hear Duke is suffering with his feet again, give the gorgeous boy a hug from me :wub: Do you use any supplements for his feet, just sprang to mind as there was a stand promoting a new supplement that sounded really interesting and cost effective I am thinking of trying Loki-worst-feet-in-the-world on it :rolleyes:

PW I think you should go on photograph strike until someone repays the favour and takes some pics of you and Wanda, we are definately overdue some!

Loki and I haven't been up to much, have found a new instructor who has really helped us move forward in a short space of time, although she can't do regular lessons so after having a few a week apart I now haven't had one for three weeks, and its hard not to loose the thread in that time :wacko: Have one booked for Saturday so hope this blinkin weather improves and our school doesn't get water logged.

We did venture out for some dressage at Smiths Lawn last weekend and we won our class, actually got prize money and as part of my prize won a free lesson with a dressage judge, so was very chuffed :biggrin: I am now banning myself from doing Intros, I need to get our canter sorted at competitions, its getting really nice at home, but I lose the plot at comps and avoiding doing it isn't going to help :rolleyes:

Help, does anyone know what i'm talking about :rolleyes: Recently i saw stable rugs for sale somewhere on tinternet but cannot find them and yep, i forgot to save the link.These rugs came apart along the back so they could be washed in a normal washing machine one half at a time. Its driving me mad now as i want a better look at them but cant find them anywhere and cant remember what make they were. So has anyone else comes across them?

My friend has found the rugs! She was bored at work so was searching for me.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Masta-Easy-Wash-Horse-Stable-Blanket-Rug-Black-81-New_W0QQitemZ200303796711QQihZ010QQcategoryZ72587QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp3286.m7QQ_trkparmsZalgo%3DLVI%26itu%3DUCI%26otn%3D3%26ps%3D5

The rug goes into 3 pieces not two as i thought.

Edited by collies r best

Clare, you won!!!!!!! :circle: Well done you, no pics?

Wanda is going to be a bit cross this weekend, Sam's horse has been kicked and can't go to the dressage. As it's unafilliated the organisers are allowing Sam and I to both ride Wanda in the same test. We will do the tests about 40 mins apart so Wanda gets a break, she'll probably drop off after the first test and then be horrified that she has to do another one!

:laugh: I think Wanda will be too busy showing off to notice she has done the same test twice. Oooh imagine if she comes 1st and 2nd :biggrin:

What clever rugs!

How is Duke doing Reds?

No pics from dressage, but a video

I wasn't too impressed with our test not sure why, it felt a lot nicer than it looks :wacko: My new instructor is really trying to get my contact better, and I thought it was but can still see reins flapping :rolleyes: Now that I am not being so accomodating in letting him poke his nose he is dropping behind the vertical slightly, what is it with horses you start to get to grips with one problem only to get another!

Good vid Clare, your position is hugely improved, you look really professional. I think the rein thing is more him dropping behind the contact rather than you dropping him, one of our instructors ideas with Sam's Kim who does the same thing is for Sam to widen her hands and put the leg on, it seems to work very well. Might be worth a try! He looks fantastic by the way, what's his next outing going to be?

As for Wanda I think last and next to last will be more realistic, dressage is not her thing at all and she goes into moo mode insisting she has never been asked to bend before! We shall see! :laugh:

Thanks PW you always come up with such good advise :flowers: I tried widening the hands and leg and it definately helped, I was using the leg before but hadn't thought to change my hand position.

I have some very exciting news, I am a bit like this :partytime: :circle: :bigsmiley: :elefant: :biglaugh: :thumbsup_anim: (you get the drift :laugh: )

A few months ago I entered a competion in Horse and Rider and I have just been called to say I won!!! The prize ............ a lesson with Lucinda Fredericks :ohmy: and if that wasn't enough a Toggie outfit! Only bad thing is that I will appear in the magazine, so I hope I don't fall off! I am now going on a crash diet until the end of October :rolleyes: