UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Killing Field Of The Dog Industry

Brindlebabe

• Replies 386
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just thinking as well, Radio 4 is all very well but this needs to be on places like Radio one. The people that go to dog races aren't the kind of people who read The Times and watch Question time [which is a shocking thing to say and I apologise for that :ohmy: ]

I think this needs to be everywhere - I don't think we can assume people that listen to Radio One, read The Times etc don't go, speaking from limited experience.

I was suprised (& pleased) that Mike Mendoza on Talk Sport Radio was discussing this on his show this morning. He had a vet on claiming that killing by bolt gun is humane, however Mike's main point was that the NGRC have categorically denied this killing goes on & that it is unacceptable to kill these dogs for sport.

He is having a slot on his Friday night phone in radio programme about banning racing if anyone is interested.

I have seen articles in the Daily Express & The Times today, nothing in The Metro though.

It says on the radio 2 website that Jeremy Vine will be discussing the issue on the show today - would be great if people could phone in and give their views as I bet there will be plenty of naive racing owners ringing in to say they don't treat their greyhounds like that.

email [email protected] phone: 0500 288291 between 12 - 2 only.

emailed Jeremy Vine ...

Hello Jeremy

I see from the website that today you will be covering Retired greyhounds, I was hoping that you would pick up of the Times investigation as it is long past time that people in the UK woke up to the truth and realities of what the Greyhound Racing Industry has been trying to hide.

Sadly the news article and investigation came as no shock to me, as the owner of a rescued Greyhound myself I am all to aware what these wonderful dogs go through during their lives in racing. Whilst I know that there are decent owners and trainers involved in racing sadly they are in the minority. The public do not seem to realise that for every dog in training many thousands more have been bred and put to death of long before reaching the track.

Once their racing lives are over they are quite often shipped off to Spain to be kept for racing in appalling conditions or used for hunting and coursing. Dogs which turn out to be no good for hunting are often brutally disposed of, with hanging being a favourite method.

The brutal truth is that there simply are not enough homes available for the huge numbers of Greyhounds bred for the British racing Industry and it is the lucky few who manage to find a home once their usefulness to racing is over.

Can I recommend to you the Greyhound Action website @ http://www.greyhoundaction.co.uk/ which has a lot of very good fact sheets detailing the problem.

Can I also urge you to say something during the show appealing to trainers to work WITH rescues to help with rehoming their unwanted dogs, the RGT are not the only group who work to find good homes for unwanted Greyhounds.

Many thanks.

I just hope it doesn't turn into this one man being used as a scapegoat for the entire industry. I don't approve of what he's done in the sense of taking the lives of these dogs, but he's not to blame for the existence of and cruelty within the industry and that's the bit that needs tackling.

Completely agree with you Ange that's my concern too, that they'll blame one "rouge" element and blow a lot of smoke to make it seem like this is a "one off". Thats why I sent Jeremy Vines researchers Greyhound Actions link - they may not use it ... but who knows.

It's front page on the biggest North East paper, The Journal, and also covered in the Northern Echo. I've emailed both of them saying thanks for highlighting it, but that much as I'd like to see his filthy trade stopped, I think they should run a follow up piece on how many dogs disappear and what the alternative methods are. I've cobbled some figures together and included some links to Greyhound Action.

The press seem to be focussing on an enquiry into whether what he's doing is legal or not, but as others have said, that doesn't address the underlying problem of too many dogs being bred and a 'self-regulated (ha ha) industry that doesn't take any responsibility, and won't until it's forced to by a government that currently makes way too much money from racing as it currently stands :(

Not that it's up to me to tell other people what to do/say/write, but I think if anyone is contacting media, MPs etc. to discuss this, it's important to note that it is the nature of the greyhound racing industry that is of concern, this particular man's service just highlights how many dogs are bred and how disposable they are to many (but not all) of the people within the industry.

Otherwise I can see this one guy "going out of business" while the industry carries on business as usual.