UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Killing Field Of The Dog Industry

Brindlebabe

Looks as if questions are being asked...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/wear/5185234.stm

when I rang my mum earlier to tell her about she said that it had been discussed in length on the radio today ( not sure what station )

I think the tabloids will have to pick teh story up now which is all for the good as not every one reads the Times

• Replies 386
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The first thing we would need to do is agree what the objective is, whether that be banning racing altogether or campaiging for humane treatment of all racing dogs.

I don't think that Greyhound Racing will ever be banned. Change have to be made but all the time that there are people going to watch and betting on races it won't stop.

I think campaigning for humane treatment is probably the best way to go as campaigning for a ban is unrealistic.

I probably come across as harsh when saying this but knowing the millions of pounds thast are flooded into greyhound racing each year I can't see an end to it.

Edited by La_Femme_Pires

Got a stonking bad headache so will come back to this tomorrow but The Sunday times is owned by News Corporation who also own Sky. Sky Sports 3 show greyhound racing. How about sending the Sunday Times article to Sky executives, and the Sky sports channel? put the pressure on them to stop showing Greyhound racing on TV when their own newspaper disagree with the inhumane destruction of the dogs.

As the Sunday Times editor said " Greyhound racing is rich enogh to look after it's retired animals properly. It should do so. This unnecessary slaughter shames it."

Abigail thankyou for your PM, I'll answer you properly tomorrow :flowers:

If writing to Ben Bradshaw is a plan, what about all of us co-ordinating to send our letters at around the same time, so they arrive in bulk? I think posting rather than emailing would be a good idea, I suspect it would be harder to ignore/taken more seriously?

Is anyone involved with GA able to check whether anything is planned from that side?

My MP wrote to Ben Bradshaw after I went to see him (my MP) about my concerns regarding strays being pts and puppy farming. The response from Ben was erm, less than helpful really(!) but maybe if he receives a number of letters on the same thing he might be prepared to look into it. Also a good idea to cc any letters to Ben, to our own MPs - and perhaps to the Carlisle MP mentioned in that BBC article, who is concerned. Though I think the emphasis should be more on the fact that the industry is dumping/killing/disappearing so many dogs, rather than on how/who is pts-ing them. The delightul character supposedly killing all these dogs is just providing a rather unpleasant service - it's why people are needing/using the service that needs to be addressed.

Just my tired thoughts.

Alistair McLean, chief executive of the National Greyhound Racing Club, which governs the sport, promised an inquiry and said: "We categorically do not endorse this sort of thing."

We don't endorse doesn't exactly mean we stop it happening or are not aware!

It's good that some of the tabloids are taking this story up. The more the better and it will reach a much wider audience if some of the less erm... well The Sun, News of the World etc pick up on it too :) .

I agree wih Ange, if we all send our letters at the same time he'll have to take notice.

Is Amanda from GAS here or does anyone have contact details for her?

Just thinking as well, Radio 4 is all very well but this needs to be on places like Radio one. The people that go to dog races aren't the kind of people who read The Times and watch Question time [which is a shocking thing to say and I apologise for that :ohmy: ]