UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Killing Field Of The Dog Industry

Brindlebabe

Whilst I'm delighted the Times has published this, I doubt it will change anything. Paul Kenyon exposed a trainer in Oxfordshire about 5 years ago, killing and burying dogs on his own land - IIRC he got suspended, appealed and got his licence back.

This also seems to suggest that this 'service' is a one-off. It isn't. There are people providing a similar service all over the UK.

Look at the stats - 35,000 to 40,000 dogs bred each year. 3,000 rehomed by the RGT, maybe 2,000 rehomed directly from trainers and through other rehoming organisations. That leaves a shortfall of 30,000 to 35,000 dogs a year. This Smith creature doesn't have THAT many in his back garden - it's likely there will be cemetaries for these dogs close to most major tracks - NGRC or flapping.

The sad thing is, if the Smiths of this world are stopped from killing the dogs tomorrow, then someone else will have to do it. The simple fact is, there are not enough homes for the dogs bred - Lord knows, we struggle to rehome one every 10 days or so. The breeding has to stop, and the only way that will happen is for racing to stop.

• Replies 386
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are too many Greyhounds that are surplus to requirements and there will never be enough homes to go round. So yes, this man is providing a service in that the alternative is being dumped or killed by an amateur.

The only way to stop this happening is to ban Greyhound racing. That would cut Greyhound breeding in one blow and then this vile man would be redundant after a few years. He would probably have a surge of employment during the months following the ban though. :mecry:

Mark went out and brought a copy of the Sunday Times

the article is front page, with a further full page article on page 7 ( including photos ) and then an editorial on page 16

both the article and editorial are well written and heavily criticise the racing industry,

we are going to buy a few more copies for Aisling to use at her Greyhound day at school next term so I can cut and scan in the editorial later ( not sure if it shows online )

Sam

I've emailed them to congratulate them on the exposure of this hideous crime.

whats the email address please ?

yes I thought the same :( , Aisling is upstairs reading it now and she was horrifed by the photos :mecry:

we are going to use the article in her school awareness/fundrasing day,

Editor: [email protected]

Editorial Director, The Times and The Sunday Times [email protected]

Newsdesk [email protected]

Thanks Snow

You may also wish to contact

Ben Bradshaw [Minister for nature & conservation]

House of Commons

Westminster

London SW1A 0AA

Tel: 0207 219 6597

Fax: 0207 219 0950

His comment promising an enquiry into the slaughter and potential health hazard of such large scale dumping. Actually we want the govt to investigate the slaughter of the dogs rather than just the health hazard it may cause.

" A new code of practise proposed under the animal welfare bill would restrict the killing of greyhounds to vets using "humane" lethal injections."

Kind of missing the point isn't it?

This should never happen at all whether it's humane or not.

The door is slightly ajar now, what we need to do is turn the general public against ALL slaughter of greyhounds not just the inhumane slaughter.

As Melp says: The door is slightly ajar now, what we need to do is turn the general public against ALL slaughter of greyhounds not just the inhumane slaughter.

So this is a good moment to concentrate one's efforts and make a big protest.

Let's hope the more popular press pick it up and run with it.

Absolutlely, and not just "greyhound people" either [by that I mean not just those of us who own ex racers/work in greyhound rescue] Everyone who is an animal lover should be emailing, writing, calling etc.

Dreadful, but far worse happens that we don't see. I don't agree with what this bloke does at all but my immediate thoughts are with the future dogs that would have been taken to him - how are they going to be 'disposed' of now? You can bet your last penny they won't be going to the vet :mecry:

I can't speak for the UK but when I see how much money the Irish government is pumping into this *industry* then I want to scream... Their excuse is that it brings in more money from tourism.... Yeah, like bullfighting in Spain.

Sarah

Unfortunately I have to agree with ClazUK.

It may heighten awareness to the general public but the people who do this aren't going to be bothered, they will find someone else to bolt these dogs or worse. :mad:

How many of the people that actually go to the dogs or bet on greyhound racing actually care about the animals? Its all about the money and no matter how many stories like this come to light it won't make a difference.

With any luck though the NGRC will sit up and take some notice and not let so many dogs slip through the net when they should be tracking them into retirement.

As for the RSPCA knowing... I lost all faith I had in them a long time ago i'm afraid and I haven't got it back yet so in all honesty nothing suprises me...

Thank you Wendy for posting the article. It makes very grim reading, and I have e-mailed the Times to support them publishing it.

I've just sent the link to my company's social committee - I wonder if they'll still be happy to organise a night out greyhound racing after reading that?

The problem is though that the general public have no idea what goes on behind closed doors. Every person I've ever spoken to about greyhounds and racing really didn't have a clue and seriously thought the dogs enjoyed racing :(

You never know, something might be done finally.