UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Killing Field Of The Dog Industry

Brindlebabe

How can scum like this man justify what they do :mecry:

I've just sent this link to a couple of local journalists. I'm sure they will pick it up from newswires but thought the more exposure it gets, the better. Trouble is it's very big business up here so regional papers might be wary of upsetting advertisers. It makes me ashamed to be living in the north east :(

Haven't read the whole of this thread, but John's just rang me and it's going in the Echo tomorrow. I was thinking of trying to get him some quotes from a greyhound charity basically saying what others have said on this thread, it's NOT a one off incident and highlight the figures Claz mentioned.

Any idea where I can get that from?

• Replies 386
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have brought a few more copies this afternoon and will scan them in later

Mel you are right , the door is ajar and every single realistic piece of reporting re Greyhounds is a positive step towards raising awareness, laws changing , public losing interest and maybe even the government banning racing

who would have thought 15 years ago that a major supermarket ( Waitrose ) would ban battery eggs ?. No one really because who gave a stuff or even knew about about battery hens, its the same with racing and yes its going to take a long time but I do believe in my life time there will be major changes

Sam

Every person I've ever spoken to about greyhounds and racing really didn't have a clue and seriously thought the dogs enjoyed racing :(

Would they not run if they didn't want to? I'm not asking that as a statement but as a genuine question. I have worked in horse racing in the past and we had one little gelding who hated racing and he used to refuse to leave the starting stalls and he was rehomed to a 'pet' home.

With NH horses you can often see as they jump that their ears are pricked and they are enjoying themselves and I wonder if it is the same with greyhounds?

I'm guessing with a lot of them the chase instinct gets the better of them and they just run...

I have to say I don't know a huge amount about Greyhound racing, except the rescue aspect.

My mum is currently fostering a failed racer Bram , he is 2 and 1/2 years old and he would love to run and chase things, he suffered an awful injury to one of his legs whilst racing and now limps.

he is a lovely dog but scared witless of the world, so far Gracie has taught him about beds, toys and walks and he is a huge fan of Grandma Squirrels cooking ( all things that were so alien to him at first )

no one in the industry wants Bram now, his owner/trainer did not want a 2 year old dog that limps and he was bloody lucky that Houndsavers heard about him and Whitelodge were able to offer space when he needed help

There are thousands of Brams up and down the country that may very well have enjoyed the running but the way they are treated/disposed of when they can no longer run and earn money is shocking

Sam

One of the sad things is just how some people WILL not listen, I have printed reams of stuff from Greyhound action and talked and talked to a guy I used to work with but nothing would change his mind :handjob it was just a good time. My ex hairdresser enjoys a night "out at the dogs" - hence the ex part. How can you educate those who won't see? :mecry:

This is too good an opportunity to miss, we all say we want to change things, let's do it, but to succeed we must co-ordinate our activity. This means a single campaigning body against the greyhound raciing industry fighting on all fronts and ensuring we speak with one voice. The first thing we would need to do is agree what the objective is, whether that be banning racing altogether or campaiging for humane treatment of all racing dogs.

We must capitalise on this article and one of the brilliant ideas I've seen today is to get local press involved and I suggest we organise a proper press pack.

Whilst campaigining at dog tracks and the like is important it is the persuasion of the general public that will really make a difference.

What I'm suggesting is the bringing together of all anti-racing/greyhound action groups into one co-ordinated campaign.

Every article that highlights the cruelty happening to the waste product of the race industry is hopefully another step (however small) in the fight to ban racing.

Hopefully other papers, the tv etc will pick-up the story and we'll have a few more people who understand the cruelty, the sheer numbers of dogs involved.

About running - Lloyd loves to run and usually will when he gets a chance, Con has no interest in running, would much rather roll on his back in the grass. :wub:

What I'm suggesting is the bringing together of all anti-racing/greyhound action groups into one co-ordinated campaign.

Excellent idea!

How do you suggest we go about it? Emails, letters to MPs, Animal Welfare groups, the noblesse of the Greyhound racing industry?

A coordinated effort could make a big difference. :flowers:

Edited by Going to the dogs