UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Augusts Askin N Answers

Jazz

It can't be August already!

I've just changed over to Windows 10. What a feckin performance! It wouldn't recognise my Microsoft Password and in the end I had to change it via my phone and tablet so I could access my email. I changed it to the same feckin password I've been using since I got Windows 8. Grrrrrrrrrr. So I get it all sorted and I don't see any real difference. Was it worth it I wonder???

Advance notice of mini Rant

3 or 4 years ago the PTB spent in excess of £250,000 putting in a cycle path around a pretty busy roundabout just outside town. I am in the vicinity of this roundabout several times a week and I could count on one hand the number of times I have seen cyclists actually using it. Most of them prefer to ride, if they are in a group, bunched together spread across the width of the roundabout with no thought to the cars behind them. We get a HUGE amount of cyclists here because of the cycling opportunities the national park affords them. Their arrogance is astounding to me and many residents. Riding in groups across the carriageway. Actually weaving about to stop drivers overtaking them. Riding on paths were they are prohibited which is particularly galling and annoying to dog walkers. The list goes on! I don't know anyone who doesn't have a gripe about them.

What dismays me most is the complete and utter waste of that £250,000 plus. It could have gone to do good somewhere else in or around the town.

OK rant over.

I just went outside to start doing some gardening. Got halfway through potting up a hydrangea and the heavens opened - and boy have then opened!

Oh well, saves me having to water stuff.

Marion - despite having Windows 8 and upgrading to 8.1, when I try to download Windows 10 it tells me that I haven't got permission because my Windows is unsupported, whatever that means :mad: I'm certainly not going to pay for the thing, but I really do hate Windows 8 which is the worst piece of shite in the history of the universe :mad:

Alex they are doing a roll out upgrade which may take weeks. Perhaps you just haven't been OK'd yet. I got an email telling me that as I had reserved an upgrade I could now start the change over. I then checked my status on the icon on my toolbar that was installed when I applied for the upgrade and sure enough it said I could go ahead - so I did. Is this the same process you tried?

It can't be August already!

I've just changed over to Windows 10. What a feckin performance! It wouldn't recognise my Microsoft Password and in the end I had to change it via my phone and tablet so I could access my email. I changed it to the same feckin password I've been using since I got Windows 8. Grrrrrrrrrr. So I get it all sorted and I don't see any real difference. Was it worth it I wonder???

Advance notice of mini Rant

3 or 4 years ago the PTB spent in excess of £250,000 putting in a cycle path around a pretty busy roundabout just outside town. I am in the vicinity of this roundabout several times a week and I could count on one hand the number of times I have seen cyclists actually using it. Most of them prefer to ride, if they are in a group, bunched together spread across the width of the roundabout with no thought to the cars behind them. We get a HUGE amount of cyclists here because of the cycling opportunities the national park affords them. Their arrogance is astounding to me and many residents. Riding in groups across the carriageway. Actually weaving about to stop drivers overtaking them. Riding on paths were they are prohibited which is particularly galling and annoying to dog walkers. The list goes on! I don't know anyone who doesn't have a gripe about them.

What dismays me most is the complete and utter waste of that £250,000 plus. It could have gone to do good somewhere else in or around the town.

OK rant over.

Where I used to live they put in a cycle path round the town.

Only , at a junction between a side road and the main road they put the cycle lane across the junction, giving cyclist the right of way and drivers had to stop before the line of the path before exiting onto the main road.

There was just one big problem- when you stopped before the line of the cycle path you could not see if there was any traffic approaching on the main road. So you had to move forward, stop over the cycle path and check the road before moving out.

They had to come and remove the cycle lane from the junction.

The pavement out of the town was converted into a joint cycle path/ pedestrian walkway, with a white line down the middle and a diagram of pedestrians next to the main road and a cycle on the inner half.

The whole width was not enough for two people to pass so a cyclist and a person could not pass without one of them stopping to let the other pass.

Keeping to the pedestrian lane with a dog or a child was impossible. It was not wide enough. Never mind the danger of walking right next to a main road.

Everybody walked on the insode of the pavement in the cycle lane.

Then they let the bushes grow unchecked which reduced the available width even more.

Who got paid for producing these useless plans?

The money came form EU funding wnicn meant that it could only be used for a cycle path, nothing else. SO the council built one regardless of its uselessness.

Similar thing with cycle paths in Chesterfield. There is a busy dual carriageway which goes down past Tesco and they put a cycle path in at the side, it fouled up traffic for months and cost loads. We drive down the dual carriageway frequently and can count on the fingers of one hand the cyclists we've seen. What amused me was the council said it would be useful for people going to Tesco. Really? How many cyclists laden with carrier bags to you see coming out of Tesco?

I'm not sure if the Police, the Court or the postal service are useless! My son in law got a speeding ticket before they went away and the paperwork came after they'd gone to Greece so I've been emailing him their letters etc. We went to their house today to collect post, and in one envelope postmarked the Court was his photo driving licence. Nothing else. In another letter from Ripley Police, they are saying although he paid the fine online they have no record of his photo driving licence being received by the Court so he must answer a summons. Erm, how could the Court send it back, if they didn't have it in the first place? I tried to phone but of course, it's the weekend, so no answer.

Suzeanna, sadly it seems to be happening more and more with different departments being unsure of what the other is doing, hopefully you will get someone with some common sense who will be able to sort it all out

Yantan, i really do despair of some people, i know not all cyclists are bad but when you see that repeatedly you can see how people come to blows

Merledogs, well as you say at least you don't need to do the watering

nothing much to report here except my neighbour (the noisy ones) have obviously fallen out again as he hasn't stayed the past 2 nights and has now been and bagged up his stuff, shall we take a bet on how long he stays away this time?