UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

November's Noble Nattering

merledogs

Good to hear you are having a nice time Gooster

Just had an unpleasant conversation with my neighbour, she called to say she is getting her windows and fascia boards done... i asked had her dad said anything about the garage roof (it is leaking into my garage) and she said no so i explained, she basically said she couldn't afford it....but she has managed to save up £5000 on benefits for windows and fascia boards, she turned round and said that my parents should have kept going round to ask what he was going to do...... why??? if we were ever told out property was causing damage to another persons property we would sort it out, we wouldn't need someone coming round every day chasing us...plus my parents both work so i doubt going round and demanding somebody fix their defective property would really be top of the list after a hard day at work.

i am totally in awe of the fact the woman has saved £5000 on benefits, i don't know anyone on benefits who has any money spare at all, took me 12 months to save £150 for some new flooring for the kitchen, i am really annoyed that she seems to think we should have kept chasing her dad, i now feel really bad but it isn't my fault

Griff I think she must have had a windfall from somewhere as I doubt very much that anyone on benefits could save £5000. Contrary to what many believe benefits don't pay out big sums direct to a claimant. People with children come the best off in the benefit sector but a single person - pftttt! They can forget it. Look at the hoops they make Alicia jump through even with a proven case of ill health. Perhaps the woman's family are subsiding her? And yes I otherwise totally agree with everything you say about this. She should be sorting it out.

Mind you we had something similar with one of our adjoining neighbours when her roof started leaking and the water penetration flowed over and came thro our internal wall at the top of the stairs. It made a right mess of the wallpaper, paint and plaster underneath but all we got from her was that her builder said it would dry out OK! No concern was shown, no offer to have the builder pop round to remove the damp plaster, repair and then re-paint. Having been involved in a nasty neighbour dispute many years ago we had no wish to start another so just sucked it up. It wasn't a big repair job - just a couple of square feet of wall that needed attention - and our builder did it when we had the new kitchen/bathroom extension built some months later. But I haven't forgotten about it and filed it away to bring out if necessary!

We on the other hand had someone there very same day the neighbour at the other side came round to tell us that when part of our chimney stack was blown down in a big, big storm it had sliced thro a portion of the roof of her kitchen/bathroom extension below and was letting in water. I made the guys repair all the damage to hers before they even started on ours. Oh and we never even got a thank you! I know it was our fault and all but we got it attended to right away with the minimum of fuss. Had it been me I would have at least thanked the neighbours!

Hey ho!

oh believe me, i know exactly what hoops you have to jump through, i wouldn't have thought anything of her getting the windows done, i would just have thought they were done on tick or family had paid but why say you had managed to save up a large amount of money?...granted i am guessing at the £5000 mark but our windows are huge and there are 6 of them and it cost us 800 quid to get our lower fascia boards done and that was by a dodgy bloke, she also went off to singapore a few months back with her daughter and that can't have been cheap, she had had her benefits stopped earlier this year as she was deemed fit for work and was going to a tribunal but even if she waited a year...which she hasn't she would probably only just get that amount of money, it was a very very odd thing to come out with. i personally think that either her or her daughter has a stash of cash as her husband died in a car crash and she reckons she got left with nothing...... i have had my suspicions before as her "friend" loaned her 7k for a car and her daughter managed to learn to drive with no income in the family and always has the newest of things...macbook, ipods etc very odd

Sounds a bit dodgy griff. You should tell her you are contacting your insurance company about it and they will want the details of her home insurance company to make a claim against them. I bet she'd do something about it then.

My energy company (Ovo Energy) emailed me to say they had made a mistake with my gas price and had been charging me a different tariff than they should, which had been rectified in August (although why it's taken this long to tell me I don't know). I think they have been undercharging me by the look of it, but they have said I don't have to pay the difference back, which is good because I'm over £200 in credit with them. The good thing with Ovo is that they pay you 3% interest on your credit amount, which is more than a lot of banks do these days, so I'm leaving it there until I need it (plus some of it will be used up over winter in any case). I don't really trust energy companies very much at all, so am waiting for them to tell me what the difference is between what I have paid and what I should have paid.

My dog walking friend was amazed that I only pay £60 a month for both gas and electricity for a three bed semi, whereas she pays £125 and thought she was doing well. I don't understand why my bills are so low. I turn the heating on if I need it so I'm not stingy with it, but I do turn everything off at the plug and leave nothing on standby. I don't have a gas fire in the living room (I'd probably have it on constantly in the winter if I did), but I have a calor gas heater, which costs me about £30 a bottle, which I estimate I buy about 3 or 4 of every year (I only use it when it's freezing cold).

What does everyone else pay?

Edited by merledogs

morning xxx

ive decided. now that 2 of the fish have died ill find homes for the other 3. they are in a boirb, which is like a ball, so the top is small. I can throw a bucket of water in the big tank, but cant with that one. do it before I move

have a nice day xx

i think someone has just been about the garage roof...don't think much of them as they never even went in the garage so won't know how bad the boards are.... suspect just re-felting/bodging it, oh well if my garage is watertight again i will be happy, if their roof is done on the cheap it will want doing again in the near future, also an unmarked van which always makes me suspicious

merledogs, i bet beau is all soft and fluffy now

Jazz, glad you got your fish all sorted out and your snails too

popped jacket spuds in the oven for us for tea and just watching 4 in a bed...love the bitchyness of some of the people Lol

Very frustrating, my auntie refused to believe she had a pressure sore and refused to sleep on her nice new memory foam electric bed, preferring to stay in her recliner 24/7 against district nurse's advice. Pressure sore is now grade 4 with gangrene. She is now in bed but it may be too late for it to heal. She is on ABs with nurse visiting daily.