UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Augusts Any Anecdotes

Jazz

Blimey Sam that sounds great for you but that really does put things into perspective that £15 is considered out of the reach of most Sri Lankans. TBH I suspect that I could fly over have a holiday and get my fancy eye implants done for less than I was quoted this morning for 1 fancy implant not available on the NHS which was over £2k.

However, I am pleased to report that I do NOT have glaucoma!! Pleased being an understatement actually, not only that but I did in fact "pass" the hospital field vision test and my eye sight is well within the normal dvla levels for driving yayyyyyy and I can have the lens replacement surgery for my right eye so both eyes will be the same the "fancy" implant would have been a focusing lens which would have meant I would have still have been able to have one eye able to focus, as it is I've opted to have the eye fixed for distance the same as the left one and I'll have glasses for reading & the pc - not a lot different to now really apart from no longer needing the contact lens and being able to see without glasses for the first time in 42 years!!! I'll be able to drive without needing glasses which will be amazing! Slightly nervous about giving up close vision but I simply can't risk going for mono vision when I haven't been able to get on with that with glasses and day to day without my contact in I wear reading glasses with one lens frosted so I can't see out of it - which causes its own problems. Hey ho at least I'll have 2 equal eyes again.

• Like 2

my dentist says he has a lot of western clients who come and get work done like crowns and implants with him and even with flights and accommodation its still cheaper than getting the same work done in the UK and they get a "free holiday" , he recently quoted to some one I know £950 for 6 jacket crowns , top of the range german made and £ 500 for 6 standard crowns !!!!

In the rural areas especially where the floods are there many people to whom £15 would be a weeks income , where I am on the coast its a week wage for a house maid who would work 6 or even 7 days a week 8 hours a day cooking , cleaning , washing etc , you can understand why people struggle with vets bills when it costs us £12 to spay a dog or cat .

Snow very pleased you don't have glaucoma that indeed must be a huge relief

eye surgery is something they do here , not the same as your fancy implant but Sri Lankas are the worlds biggest donors of corneas for transplant

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sri_Lanka_Eye_Donation_Society

Ben paid £500 for one root canal. With the cost of the fillings they put in prior to doing the root canal, we could both have had a holiday!

That said my last trip to the dentist was in SA, obviously not as cheap as Sri Lanka, but check up, X-rays, filling and Polish was the same price they charged me in the uk for one X-ray!

I don't know how people can afford the charges in the UK as they seem very expensive.

Moaning :tired:

Great news snow :flowers:

Alex what sort of premiums are you paying with More Than if you don't mind me asking. I just did a quote for Archie, who is currently still with AXA @ £11 a month. More than are quoting £17.49 per month for the classic package. I have had other quotes from a number of providers and they all roughly match AXA but I would be willing to pay more if the claim process is easier and the cover is pretty comprehensive. Who to choose - uuuummmm, drums fingers on desk. What a mine field! I have bookmarked the link Blackmagic provided but I still find my head reels with all of this.

I have the Classic insurance with More Than, which gives you up to £4,000 or £8,000 per condition (I chose £8,000). For two dogs (11 and nearly 12) the cost is less than £50 per month, which is less than I was paying with Axa. Neither dog has any pre-existing conditions. Don't go with the online quote though, the one they gave me when they rang me after I'd saved a quote was cheaper. I got a discount for more than one pet and they are both now on the same policy. Incidentally I didn't realise that there was a difference between crossbreed (mix of two dog breeds) and mixed breed (three or more). The former is cheaper apparently as first crosses tend to be healthier.

more than are nice. they have been good with me. good prices too. at the renewal, moan its gone up and can they do anything. they will offer you a nights hotel in London, or a doggy hamper, which is 2 bags of vets kitchen complete and a bottle of liquid lucosomine. if they don't tell them they do give them away, your friend got one

Thanks jazz :flowers:

Sam as I have watched numerous people, famous and not famous, take the ALS challenge the only thing that's run through my head is "what a waste of water".

We should all plan visits to come and help you and get our teeth done and other medical complaints seen to whilst we are there!

Sam - I doubt most of the people doing the ALS challenge even know what they're doing it for, they're only doing because everyone else is or to raise their public profile. I'm with Pamela Anderson on this - I would never do anything to benefit an organisation which funds animal testing.

While I've got your attention, I've sent you a message on FB :flowers:

Edited by merledogs

It ain't half peeing it down here.

Good old Pammy! I won't knowingly support anything that tests on animals. The first thing Ruby did when she took over from her boss was to cancel all the contracts with firms that tested their products on animals and found alternatives that didn't. .

I am just awaiting the arrival of Evie. I hope she is in better form than she was last Friday when she was all clingy and just wanted carrying around. She paid a flying visit yesterday when she burst through the door and said "heyo Maiyeeon" (hello Marion) and then later handed the lead to me which was attached to Archie and said "here's Archie". It won't be long before she is chatting away. I'll bet we all wish she'd go back to pre-talking days then when we are getting bombarded with questions and non-stop talking :rolleyes: :laughingsmiley:

• Like 1

lewis didn't stop talking when he was little. whats that? why? alllll the time!

david who is 19 months older than lewis stopped talking when lewis started, lewis spoke for both of them

im not surprised david has married a lovely lady who will talk for both of them lol

Moaning :tired:

Great news snow :flowers:

I have the Classic insurance with More Than, which gives you up to £4,000 or £8,000 per condition (I chose £8,000). For two dogs (11 and nearly 12) the cost is less than £50 per month, which is less than I was paying with Axa. Neither dog has any pre-existing conditions. Don't go with the online quote though, the one they gave me when they rang me after I'd saved a quote was cheaper. I got a discount for more than one pet and they are both now on the same policy. Incidentally I didn't realise that there was a difference between crossbreed (mix of two dog breeds) and mixed breed (three or more). The former is cheaper apparently as first crosses tend to be healthier.

I have a retriever/collie cross and a retriever /gsd cross.

Some policies ask what type of cross. If I put collie cross I get a different quote for than a retriever cross and a gsd cross is different again.

Great news Snow :)

It has absolutely chucked it down here today, however it has meant that I had to cancel my riding lesson, so could get into my snuggly pjs at 7.30pm and relax, instead of riding till 8.30 and getting home at 9.15pm. Think I might get an early night though :)

Moaning from a soggy Salford :tired:

Good for Ruby :flowers

I have just emailed UPS customer services to complain about one of their drivers. I was stuck on the M62 in heavy rain last night coming home from work and saw a UPS driver weaving in and out between the hard shoulder/inside lane with his lights flashing. Feckin idiot could have blocked the way for any emergency vehicle and potentially cost someone their life if the traffic jam had been caused by an accident :mad:

The behaviour of some other drivers really infuriates me! I am not sure if I have become a more narky driver since upgrading to an Audi, but the behaviour of others is beyond belief sometimes! This morning I was going to work and as I was on the slip road to join the motorway, the car in front of me was going 40mph :unsure: Now I always thought that the idea of the slip road was to build up speed, so you are driving at a sensible motorway speed when you join the motorway :unsure: There was also some moron sat on the hard shoulder who then decided to go from stopped and pull out straight back onto the main carriageway without building up speed first! And don't get me started on middle lane drivers - some days it's like someone had spilled a load of nails in the inside lane and people just won't drive in it at all :angry:

Had a nice morning at work today, saw a grand total of 3 patients! So spent the rest of the time gabbing and drinking tea :) Then I went for my 3 weekly manicure and gossip, before hitting the gym for leg day! Am just cooking tea now before settling down for X factor and wine :)