UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

February's Flippin' Faffing

merledogs

Alex, you're not being self-absorbed, and even if you were its perfectly understandable.

Owl - good luck with your mum. I hope both you and your sister are able to visit and connect her a bit more with the present.

My car needs 4 new tyres :( Ah well, at least it'll have new shoes for the drive up to the agility show. Its 2 years today since Sky left us. When they died, we planted memorial flowers for both Sky and Sophie. The 'little miss sophie' plants are doing really well and are beautiful, just like Sophie was. The ones we bought for Sky never grew - I need to sort out something else to plant in his memory, we haven't forgotten him.

• Like 1

My mum's great friend is going to see her today and will tell me what she finds and if mum recognises her. It's annoying that I am still too sneezy - mum's friend told me on phone I sound far too bug-ridden to be allowed on the ward.

I do want when I can to take in some photos to refresh mum's memory. In a sense it doesn't matter what decade she is living in, but in a practical sense it does matter. It would be a pity if she doesn't know she has another daughter, and I can hardly pass as 6 years old when I visit. And if she thinks she has a husband she will be wondering why he doesn't visit or take her home. We will just have to play it by ear.

Sophie, hope you can find some suitable plants for Sky.

Positive thoughts for mummy owl :GroupHug:

I moved the old washing machine outside the front earlier in readiness for when the new one arrives, as they were going to take the old one away. Just had a bloke knock on the door asking if they could take it, so I said they could. I paid £9.99 for Argos to collect so will try to get a refund on that. Should have known better cos anything with metal in it gets taken round here if you leave it on the drive, which is quite handy in a way and I've got rid of a few things that way.

Collies r best...... try tart cherry extract, my dad had gout and he started on that and was o.k for years, he now doesn't take anything at all..... have a google as there are some foods that can aggrivate the symptoms.

Merledogs, i don't think anyone would consider you self absorbed!! glad you got the washing machine collected, i hope you can get a refund too

Well done Molly for doing so well in your agility.... heres to a super agility season for you and glen

Owl, i hope you can get to see your mum soon.

Sophie, i hope you can find a nice plant for sky

i am feeling really ill today..... didn't manage to get up until 11.30 and i have another water infection..... i will never get an appointment today with my gp so will have to go to the emergency doctor over the weekend.... i just can't be bothered in going out! on the upside i ordered the dogs a new jolly ball each and diez has had me in hysterics playing with it, she was running round like a puppy, not bad for a wonky 12 year old!

Griff take it easy and I hope you get a doctor to call sooner rather than later.

Alex don't be silly thinking you are self absorbed. I admire the fact that you can even get on here to post and I am pleased that you can.

I hope things go better for mummy Owl. When my great aunt had to go into a care home with psychotic dementia (that was fun!) she firmly believed that she was working there and would cue up with the other staff to collect her pay-packet. The home used to make one out for her and put in a few coins. This satisfied her for a while until one day in a moment of clear thinking she realised she was only being paid peanuts and staged a one woman strike before handing her notice in as she was not going to be taken for a mug any more. The care home manager accepted her resignation and suggested that it was time to retire and put her feet up. She agreed to this but believing she was a live in member of staff she was worried about where she would go and live. They sorted that by putting her in a car took her for a nice little ride out before bringing her back to the home which as far as my great aunt was aware was somewhere completely different. Whilst she had been absent the staff had been busy changing her from one room to another (something that was in the pipeline anyway and this presented an ideal way to effect that change.) They brought her back in through a side door and took her to her new room to settle in. By the time she came out she'd forgotten just about all that had gone on other than she got that she was now retired.

• Like 1

Wow Marian it's amazing how the mind works.

My FIL was very confused when we saw him, he could understand that he was in France, and he knew he used to live in England, but he couldn't connect the dots in his mind so when asked where he lives, he would always answer England. He knew his house in France and everything about it, but he said he just couldn't get the two bits of information to work together. He doesn't have dementia but Multiple System Atrophy so they don't know what parts of the brain have gone.

I hope your Mom is able to understand the present Owl.

Wow Alex, how the hell did you move the washing machine?!

How fab Yantan that a care home put so much care into ensuring your aunt was kept happ, sadly now we only seem to hear bad things of care homes.... shame really as i am sure there must be some really terrific ones.

They're definitely not all bad. The care home my mum was in was wonderful

Sophie, are your tyres balanced properly? Sometimes if they aren't balanced, that can lead to excessive wear :unsure:

Hope you get your washing machine sorted Alex :flowers: :GroupHug:

Hope your mum is feeling better and less confused Owl :flowers:

Griff, look after yourself please :) :flowers:

Busy day at work today, was glad to get out of there. Just finishing at the gym now, heading for home and bed, ready to do it all again tomorrow :)

Mum's friend Joan went to see her this afternoon and reported back. Mum opened her eyes and looked at her and said "Joan" then slipped straight back into the very heavy sleep which she is now in about 23 hours a day. She also said she would like a coffee, and Joan managed to help her to drink it but had to wake her up for each sip. I reckon it would be ok for me to go tomorrow, bug seems to have cleared off just leaving a zombified owl. But younger and fitter folk than me have taken 3 weeks to get back to normal.

I was less than cheered today to get a cold call from some sales type asking if I had given any thought to my funeral plans. I shut him up by telling him I intended to leave my body to science. He was quite stunned and said no one had ever given him that answer before. Having thought about it, I might as well do exactly that.

Hope you get to see your mum today Owl.

Today is the BIG day, and as I know that anyone who might have given the game away if I said anything on here is currently unable to access the internet I can confirm that we have indeed organised a surprise party for mum in laws 80th birthday and she has no clue at all about it. I've been very sneaky and told her a couple of weeks ago that Rob & I were going to take her out for a "posh meal" just the 3 of us and it might be an idea if she had her hair done on Saturday morning rather than on her usual Thursday so it would be nice for going out, then Thursday when we took Sal over to her she asked me what I was wearing so I told her I thought I might "dress up a bit for a change" so she said she would too :thumbsup_still: I also suggested it might be an idea to put Sal & Nog into kennels for the day so that we wouldn't have to rush back so they went in last night. She thinks its an "odd time" to be going out for a meal (we're picking her up at 2pm) but we explained that its a "high tea" kinda thing which she thought was "lovely".

What actually is happening is that we've booked the local golf club for this afternoon who are laying on a buffet, we've had a cake made which has a needlework theme and Vickys spent the past 24 hours baking cupcakes with buttons and needles and thread decorations. My brothers & sister in laws and their families are all coming in fact my sil and my niece and families stayed at the golf club hotel last night, Nick & Vicky are driving down today with Trudy, Graham & Amelia, mums friends are all coming as are all mums nieces and nephews which we only usually see at funerals rather than on happy occasions, and her 2 longest bestest friends and their families are also coming & my sil will be decorating the room this morning with balloons & banners & confetti.

Mums friends have been ringing me all week saying that mum has been asking them if they know where we might be taking her, and she is pretty convinced she's just going out with me & Rob as she told them she doesn't think Steve & Claire have planned anything for her b'day and they've told her they will take her out or come and see her in the week (which is when her birthday actually is).

Fingers crossed that it all goes to plan and shes properly surprised.

• Like 4