UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

The Veggie Plot 2012

houndzrus

Well, it's a new year and a new start on the veggie plot. i have seeds sorted, so ready for the sowing and digging to commence. :biggrin:

Anyone want to join i and have a go? Doesn't have to be anything too time consuming or difficult. just a a few things you like to eat, or may like to try.

I am happy to send some seeds from my packets to anyone wanting to grow something from my list below. GRIFF, I can also pop in some extra seeds to grow on, I know you live locally to me.

I have got:

Cauliflower (various varieties)

lettuce, iceberg, little gem, etc etc

spaghetti squash

patty pan squashes, (moonbeam) little yellow flower shaped.

courgettes

cucumber (mini)

calabrese and brocolli

cabbages (various)

basil

coriander

parsley

carrots (various)

tomatoes (various)

beetroot red and yellow

Any of these I am happy to share a few, if you want to try them out. :biggrin: there will be too many seeds in a packet for me to use up. :flowers: I am no expert, and don't really do fruit, apart from Rhubarb and blueberries, but fruit can be added here too.

Edited by houndzrus

Wow! What an offer. Seeds and encouragement!

I have a small vegetable patch behind my garage and every year I decide I'm going to grow some food and every year I get two runner beans. I'm pretty useless in the gardening department. And as I live alone, I really don't want whole packets of things. Like - I love celeriac but I only eat about one a month during the autumn/winter so I ony need a couple of plants and not the hundreds you get in a pack.

So I'd love any seeds you can spare - anything easy to grow because I'm a garden numpty. I've already got a pack of coriander seeds because I eat loads of that. I don't have a greenhouse so it has to be something which will grow in the ground outside. Obviously I'll make a donation to a rescue in return for the seeds. You can choose which one.

I've got a big front garden (which I never see because everyone uses the back door!) and I've just turned it into a mini orchard with plum, cherry and apple trees. And loads of raspberry canes. The strawberry plants will go out there at some point too. So I am really trying to grow my own this year. I need to keep the enthusiasm going so this might be just what I need.

Diane

I'll sort through and send a selection for you. it's not whole packets, but will be enought to get you started. :biggrin:

Courgettes are pretty prolific croppers and I only plant two for the two of us. :laugh:

For anyone who wants to also stock up on whole packets, I have also heard that Lidl or Aldi will have seeds for 39p a packet on 21st Jan. I must sit on my hands and not look! I'm sure Poundland and wilkinson will soon start stocking things too, labels, slug pellets etc......I love this time of year for planning. :biggrin:

Edited by houndzrus

:flowers: thankyou Marge, that is a very kind offer but i have given up on growing things :laugh: i did just take a nosy at the wilko website and they are doing 3 for 2 on johnsons seeds but they are very very pricey compared to the aldi price :ohmy: i will let my mums workmates know about the upcoming aldi/lidl seeds as they seem to grow stuff :flowers:

I want to have a go growing veggies in the garden this year once the bay tree has been chopped down. I don't know if I will be well enough to dig the plot over or whether I shall just do containers unsure.gif

The last time I had a go I got so discouraged as pests and diseases got the lot mecry.gif

What's best to grow in a very small space?

thankyou Marge, that is a very kind offer but i have given up on growing things

Well, I will pop a couple of Tomatoe seeds in for you and see if you can resist them when you see "your" plants growing! :laugh:

I want to have a go growing veggies in the garden this year once the bay tree has been chopped down. I don't know if I will be well enough to dig the plot over or whether I shall just do containers

The last time I had a go I got so discouraged as pests and diseases got the lot

What's best to grow in a very small space?

You could dig it over and dig in some compost, then maybe some chicken manure pelletts.

I grow my carrots in buckets. I get them £1.50 from Tesco, fill half builders sand half compost. If doing more than one, sow at 2 or 3 weekly intervals for succession. Carrot fly don't seem to go to bucket height and a sprinkling of slug pellets will keep the beasties away.

the main thing to keep in mind is to grow what you know you like to eat, what may be expensive in the shops, and not too time consuming.

How big is the plot? does it have shade, or full sun?

Good to have you all on board. (and you too Griff :wink: )

I've ordered and just received some tomato and cucumber seeds. The tomatoes that we grew last year looked spectacular but tasted of nothing at all, so this year I've bought Red Alert on the recommendation of a friend.

I tend to grow most veg in either pots or growbags, so not much digging needed at all.

I do need to remember to prune my apple trees and look up how to prune the currants too. I'd like to grow some strawberries but they are just magnets for the slugs most years.

i bought some re useable growing bags from a supplier on ebay about three years ago and they're still going strong. I just fill with compost every year. :biggrin:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Gardman-Summer-Vegetable-Patio-Planter-Growbag-Grow-Fresh-Vegetables-Anywhere-/350524307553?pt=UK_Home_Garden_Garden_Plants_Pots_Window_Boxes_CV&hash=item519ce07861#ht_500wt_949

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Gardman-Tomato-Pepper-Patio-Planter-Growbag-Grow-Fresh-Vegetables-Anywhere-/350524307552?pt=UK_Home_Garden_Garden_Plants_Pots_Window_Boxes_CV&hash=item519ce07860#ht_500wt_949

i haven't tried red alert. There are so many choices aren't there? :wacko:

I have also bought seeds from here, although recently I have used premier seeds on Ebay. Flat rate of 59p postage.

Edited by houndzrus

I wish I liked more veg but I really don't so it would be a waste of time for me to grow it. The only veg I've ever grown has been spuds and tomatoes. I get my tomato plants from my dad and they've been pretty good - 2 plants last me the whole summer. Now I've got a much bigger garden I'm hoping to set aside a veggie patch and plant some potatoes and maybe carrots and shallots. I'll need to hire a rotivator to get the ground into shape for planting though - it's in too much of a mess for me to dig over on my own. I do like some winter veg so will try my hand at sprouts and turnip later on. I'd like to get some fruit canes too - raspberry and gooseberry to start with. I don't really have a problem with slugs and snails as we have a hedgehog family who come in every evening for their dinner :wub: 277616_10150233059578691_627133690_7603941_5164072_o.jpg (there's actually 3 now as there is a baby one too :biggrin: )

oooooooooo Eve how wonderful :flowers: i luffs hedgehogs :wub: i was very excited when we had one in our back garden in the summer.... don't know how it got in :unsure: it was gone by the morning and i haven't seen it again :mecry: could do with a hedgehog or two as we have gazillions of slugs :rolleyes:

:wub: :wub: hedgehogs!

The baby one 279708_10150232918318691_627133690_7602391_5176097_o.jpg

Sorry - got distracted from the original topic Marge! I wouldn't mind some carrot seeds if you've some to spare and maybe a few cauli? I don't like cauli but OH does so I should try and grow something for him lol. Could get brave and try brocolli too. And some beetroot perhaps as I'd like to try pickling my own beetroot. Just whatever you can spare. I'll pm you my dad's address to save postage to France if that's ok. Getting quite excited now :biggrin: