UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

The Veggie Plot 2012

houndzrus

Does anyone buy seeds online? If so, from where please?

I have bought from here

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/great-gardens?_trksid=p4340.l2563

http://myworld.ebay.co.uk/premier_seeds_direct/?_trksid=p4340.l2559

http://www.dtbrownseeds.co.uk/

Lidl's and Aldi both have regular specials on seeds, then there are poundshops and wilkinson's etc. The seeds are just as good as the more expensive one's. B&Q if I am in a rush, though they are a bit more pricey, as are Suttons seeds. :flowers:

Edited by houndzrus

Thanks again Marge :flowers:

I've to get pellets for chooks tomorrow and there's a garden centre also so I'll have a little look. Got my other seeds in Aldi.

Do seeds keep from year to year cos I'll have too many for my little greehouse :laugh:

Hubby set up greenhouse this afternoon so I can't wait to get stuck in :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Do seeds keep from year to year cos I'll have too many for my little greehouse

Hubby set up greenhouse this afternoon so I can't wait to get stuck in :biggrin: :biggrin:

Yes seeds generally keep. The exception being Parsnip, which is best bought new.

I am sooo jealous of you getting your greenhouse up. My polytunnel was delivered today and it's dark when I got home. I have suggested to Keith that we can put it up by torchlight, but he said no. :mad: :laugh:

Rainbow chard is nice to eat and looks great while it's growing too.

I wonder if I could grow a melon in the greenhouse, I've always assumed they need lots of heat? Or would even trying guarantee a dire summer weatherwise? :laugh:

Rainbow chard is nice to eat and looks great while it's growing too.

I wonder if I could grow a melon in the greenhouse, I've always assumed they need lots of heat? Or would even trying guarantee a dire summer weatherwise? :laugh:

I looked on the allotment forum and found this bit of advice regarding melons.

"I have grown Sweetheart every year since i got my allotment (9 or 10 years now) apart from this year as i didn't have the greenhouse set up in time.

I grow Sweetheart as a guarenteed cropper and experiment with others like Ogen or Bastion.

Sweetheart have never failed to give me a good crop of upto 6 melons per plant.

I grow mine in 12inch pots on greenhouse stageing with the pots in a growbag tray, i water from the bottom to stop stem rot, the top of the pot looks dry but an inch bellow the surface is wet, i like to grow melons in pots as i feel i have more control over the moisture and feeding .

I nip out the growing tip when it gets to around 10 to 12inch's and then run the 2 runners up some netting that goes to the eves of the roof.

You get side shoots comming off the 2 main stems and this is where the fruit comes from, when you see a fruit (female flower) hand polinate it and then when it sets (doesn't always work) nip out the side shoot 1 leaf after the fruit.

Now water and feed every 2 to 3 days and stop too much foliar growth from growing.

Do this on all the side shoots until mid August as any fruit set after then won't come to anything and will stop the set fruit from reaching it's full size.

Remove the ripe fruit when it smells sweet and Mellony "

Maybe it's easier to do than to read about. :laugh:

the link to the allotment forum is here

http://chat.allotment.org.uk/index.php

and the thread on melons

http://chat.allotment.org.uk/index.php?topic=80569.0

My greenhouse :biggrin:

From the outside. We put the door facing the shed because it would be less draughty in windy weather

DSC_0008.jpg

And the inside. Bruno gives you a good idea of how small it is :laugh:

DSC_0010.jpg

I planted my seeds this morning :biggrin: :biggrin:

I put the mat on the ground because my feet were really cold standing on the concrete. It works a treat.

Edited by Mags

That's great Mags :biggrin: You have so much space! I am going to have to crowbar my polytunnel into my garden. Oh, I had a root round the allotment forum, for threads on polytunnels, and apparently mine's rubbish! :laugh: Too late now, at least it will be sheltered by the fence.

What have you planted Mags? I keep looking at mine, yet I know darn well nothing will be up yet. :rolleyes:

Bruno is a bit :wub: :wub:

Thanks girls :flowers: and yes Bruno is :wub: I couldn't show Bob and Misty cos they both desperately need grooming. It's on my to do list :rolleyes:

We're very lucky where we live, off out in the country. It's fab. Our back yard is huge which is just as well as I don't get to walk the dogs as often as I should because of my hip/back but Andy keeps them fit :biggrin:

I've planted tomatoes, cucumber, sweet peppers, chilli peppers, spring onions, lettuce, parsnip, courgettes, perpetual spinach (thanks Lesley), parsley and thyme. I'm sure I'm forgetting something lol.

Marge, I'll be expecting growth by tomorrow :laugh:

I love it when things are just planted, it's when they're all up and need to be transplanted I panic. :laugh:

I popped along to my local garden centre this morning and got a bit of a bargain. It's this

http://www.garden-gear.co.uk/accessories/patio-planters/all-in-one-multi-purpose-patio-garden-tall-square.htm

They were selling them for £24.99 reduced to £13.00

They are very versatile because of the three covers and one will come in very handy in the summer to keep the butterflies off my seedling cabbages etc.

Is the radio to listen to while in the greenhouse? Good Idea :guitar:

I have bought some more seeds, red sprouts. I have also ordered seeds for a cross between brussel sprouts and kale. Called Brukale, Petit Posy.

I bought three big planters for £10 at Asda, to repot my blueberry plants too.I have a lot of re-organising to do in the garden, hope it all works out ok. :wacko: