UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

The Veggie Plot 2012

houndzrus

For anyone who wants to also stock up on whole packets, I have also heard that Lidl or Aldi will have seeds for 39p a packet on 21st Jan. I must sit on my hands and not look! I'm sure Poundland and wilkinson will soon start stocking things too, labels, slug pellets etc......I love this time of year for planning. :biggrin:

I've just had an email from Aldi saying they are doing packets of seed this Thursday 19th - there look to be a few veggies to choose from as well as flowering plants.

Aren't cucumber seeds a horrendous price - I've just realised that I've paid £3.99 for a packet containing an "average of 4 seeds" !

We were away at the time that I would have sowed cucumber seeds last year, so I bought plants when we got back. I chose some nice smooth F1 hybrid plants according to their labels. They turned out to be various types of spiky ridge cucumbers, which would have been much happier outdoors than stuck in my little greenhouse :laugh:

So this year I have learned my lesson and will be going back to growing from seed.

I don't know moonbeam squash, so will have to google that. I did try little pattypan squashes a couple of years ago which were really nice.

Edited by Karen

• 1 month later...

I have just finished packaging the seeds, sop they will be winging their way asap and should be with you by the end of the wee. Apologies for the wait :flowers:

There are various squashes that you might think I have been mean with, but you really need only one or two! :laugh:

I hope you enjoy starting off. Once you know, there will still be time to get more seeds, especially beetroot. :biggrin:

We were away at the time that I would have sowed cucumber seeds last year, so I bought plants when we got back. I chose some nice smooth F1 hybrid plants according to their labels. They turned out to be various types of spiky ridge cucumbers, which would have been much happier outdoors than stuck in my little greenhouse :laugh:

So this year I have learned my lesson and will be going back to growing from seed.

I don't know moonbeam squash, so will have to google that. I did try little pattypan squashes a couple of years ago which were really nice.

They are the little patty pans. I might have some spare if you want a couple? :unsure:

Marion : I grow lots of stuff in containers - not fruit and veg and stuff but I do sit down when I'm potting into large planters cos it's hard work on the back otherwise.

less weeding too, I still have lots of containers. :biggrin:

Eve and Smirnoff, the seeds were posted on Tuesday, so should be with you soon. :flowers:

They are the little patty pans. I might have some spare if you want a couple? :unsure:

I have just googled and they look fascinating. The ones I grew last time were yellow, like little sunshines! If you do have one or two going spare then I'd love to have them please.

I had a couple of packs of freebie seeds arrive from Thompson and Morgan with my potatoes and growing bag thingie. Could you use Black Cherry tomato seeds or Jalapeno Summer Heat chili seeds?

I have just googled and they look fascinating. The ones I grew last time were yellow, like little sunshines! If you do have one or two going spare then I'd love to have them please.

I had a couple of packs of freebie seeds arrive from Thompson and Morgan with my potatoes and growing bag thingie. Could you use Black Cherry tomato seeds or Jalapeno Summer Heat chili seeds?

Ooh yes please, they sound interesting. I shall look through my patty pan seeds for you. :biggrin:

Ooh yes please, they sound interesting. I shall look through my patty pan seeds for you. :biggrin:

PM me your address and I'll pop the packets in the post to you. I'd already ordered different tomatoes and don't have room for more than one sort. We grew chili peppers last year, had dozens of fruit and ended up using one single chili - so no point doing that again!

PM me your address and I'll pop the packets in the post to you. I'd already ordered different tomatoes and don't have room for more than one sort. We grew chili peppers last year, had dozens of fruit and ended up using one single chili - so no point doing that again!

i put lots of chillis in the freezer two years ago and have just finished them. :laugh: Will PM you :flowers:

We went to the allotment for the first time this year and did some digging and moving of raised beds. It was a mistake to put the overwintering cabbages/cauli and kale where I had it, so we transplanted them over to the left. Fingers crossed they continue growing, but they couldn't stay where they were, as the ground has to be prepared for potatoes.

Raised beds on right

allotment.jpg

moved to the left, plants replanted under hooped netting. (view from the shed!)

66b9b9e3.jpg

I haven't started on the containers/tomato houses in the back garden yet, but I will be planting my first carrots in a bucket this weekend. :biggrin: