UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

The Veggie Plot 2012

houndzrus

That allotment looks fabulous!

I'm looking forward to planting my freebie potatoes into their potato bag once I've bought some suitable compost. I've not grown potatoes before so it's all good fun :biggrin:

Thank you :flowers:

I started out growing potatoes in bags :biggrin:

|I have been to Aldi and Lidl, and apart from the canes, fertiliser, and seed trays, I also got ...

These. :biggrin:

9f3e697d.jpg

Just happened to have my size, so I was lucky. There are a few more bits I want, but I couldn't carry them all. :rolleyes:

I love seeing and hearing about your allotment Marge. I especially love the 2 gorgeous garden gnomes who feature quite often wink.gif wub.gif wub.gif

Well due to various problems my veggie growing is going to have to go on hold until next year but I will be following this thread to get my veggie kicks biggrin.gif

I love seeing and hearing about your allotment Marge. I especially love the 2 gorgeous garden gnomes who feature quite often wink.gif wub.gif wub.gif

Well due to various problems my veggie growing is going to have to go on hold until next year but I will be following this thread to get my veggie kicks biggrin.gif

Sorry you aren't up to it this year, but there's a long season ahead if you change your mind. You know where to come. :wink:

Today I planted these seeds:

White, cheddar, purple and green cauliflower. rainbow carrots, nantes carrots, mixed sweet peppers, purple sprouting broccoli, autumn spear broccoli, chilli peppers, red and orange beetroot, two varieties of broad beans, two types of leeks, five varieties of cabbage, curly kale, two types of brussel sprouts, three varieties of lettuce and a tray of lettuce leafy salad, wild rocket, spring onions -red and white, and two trays of marigolds.

It's taken hours :laugh: but hopefully, by doing only a few of each, it should be easier at planting out time. We'll see :rolleyes:

Love seeing your allotment coming to life Marge :biggrin:

Our greenhouses fell assunder to I bought myself this. It's not huge and will be going on a concrete surface in the back yard so everything will be in containers.

I've got seeds of tomato, cucumber, spring onions and peppers. I'll be getting some herbs. What else can I grow in containers?

As soon as I can grab hubby for a few minutes I'll be getting it set up. He's going to secure it to the ground so it doesn't blow away :laugh: and make me a little bench so I can put pots out in the sun :biggrin:

Love seeing your allotment coming to life Marge :biggrin:

I've got seeds of tomato, cucumber, spring onions and peppers. I'll be getting some herbs. What else can I grow in containers?

I like your noo greenhouse. Chillis grow well. Outside you can have courgettes, carrots (I grow mine in buckets, half and half sand and compost). radish, lettuce and lettuce leaves, rocket, patty pan squash, beetroot. I have also grown leeks in containers and dwarf broad beans. You can grow runner beans up a wigwam of canes in a container. You might need some big containers for some things though. :flowers:

You could try growing Aubergine in the greenhouse, though the aubergine are a bit tricky. I got a grand total of one last year. :laugh:

Edited by houndzrus

I've got a small greenhouse, it's 6' x 6'. I usually grow a couple of types of cucumber in it and although I love cucumber we always end with too many of course!

If I just grow a couple of cucumber plants, any ideas what else I could grow at the same time? Not aubergines please!

You could try melons or sweet peppers.Can't think of anything else at the moment, as I don't like anything else. :rolleyes:

I think the main benefit of greenhouses is to give seeds and plants a head start and maybe extend the growing season a little when the nights start drawing in. A little extra salad etc.

I have had notification that my polytunnel is on it's way. That's very quick, the website said delivery was week commencing 12th March. :biggrin:

I like your noo polytunnel :biggrin:

Never thought of chillis, hubby would be delighted but I'd have to watch him - he'd put them in everything :laugh:

I don't think I could have pots on the ground as dogs wouldn't leave them alone. I really should have trained them better :rolleyes: but I might try carrots inside. Would love to do courgettes, had some last year and loved them. I think I already have lettuce seeds. No thanks to radish, aubergine and beetroot (I can still smell the beetroot being cooked when I was a child :sick01:). I've never tried growing beans before so that's a maybe. Must do spinach also as I'm buying a bag every week for the chooks :rolleyes:

Thanks for all the suggestions :liebe94:

I like your noo polytunnel :biggrin:

Never thought of chillis, hubby would be delighted but I'd have to watch him - he'd put them in everything :laugh:

I don't think I could have pots on the ground as dogs wouldn't leave them alone. I really should have trained them better :rolleyes: but I might try carrots inside. Would love to do courgettes, had some last year and loved them. I think I already have lettuce seeds. No thanks to radish, aubergine and beetroot (I can still smell the beetroot being cooked when I was a child :sick01:). I've never tried growing beans before so that's a maybe. Must do spinach also as I'm buying a bag every week for the chooks :rolleyes:

Try perpetual spinach as it grows and grows till the frost gets it

Thanks for all the suggestions :liebe94: