UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

What Did You Want To Be When You Grew Up?

Jacobean

When I was little I wanted to be a post office clerk because I thought all the paperwork was great and I could use a rubber stamp.

I've worked in finance most of the time with the odd blip doing different things when moving to different locations.

I remember lots of other little girls wanting to be nurses.

I never gave a thought to what I wanted to be when I grew up. Nothing was ever spoken about what we wanted to do so I left school as soon as I could and did shop work up until 10 years ago and then got an office job which I hankered after as I thought I would have a 'posh' job. 10 years down the line.............yawn!

I always wanted to be a vet, but when I did my work experience at a vets, there was very much a 'them and us' feeling between the vets and the other staff members. No one really seemed to like the vets, which put me off a bit. So my careers adviser suggested I do a job that uses my brains, but gives me time to keep my animals as my hobby, which is what I did. Became an optometrist, which is well paid, 9-5 work, which means I can have my dogs (albeit at mum and dad's house as am out at work all day), and Blue, but enjoy them too!

I wanted to work with horses and dogs. I wanted to live away from home. I got a YTS scheme set up, but that got scuppered, so ended up working in a factory. once I got married I did jobs working round his hours, mainly shops and factories. I always hated the idea of working in a factory, but actually enjoyed them. much more than shops, with ....customers! lol

Once I was divorced and disabled, im at home with my dogs and helping rescues, and im loving it

I only wanted to be a mummy but everybody told me I had to get a job first.

So, I started training to be a teacher but gave that up after 18 months, was a bank clerk then joined the Inland Revenue.

Next came an accounts clerk with the Electricty Board.

In the meantime I had got married and became a mummy.

After twenty years in that job I rejoined the Inland Revenue until I retired 6 years ago.

Now I have the best job- being retired.

When I was very young I had ideas of being a vet..when I got to my teens, all I wanted to do was leave home any way possible, which is probably why I got married at 18! My English teacher wanted me to go to teacher training college and be a teacher myself, but I didn't like that idea. If someone had pointed me in the direction of journalism, I would have loved that...I could have been another Lynda Lee Potter or something :laugh:

I wanted to be a dancer. I studied ballet till I was 16 but was always going to join Pans People (ooh, that dates me!) I would dance till I was 24 then would be too old and become a nurse.

Reality - I joined the civil service straight from school then became a librarian, then a university administrator. I have enjoyed most of my jobs, made a good career for myself, and like blackmagic now have the best job of all. Retired to a little village in France where I can spend all day with my dogs and potter about in my garden. Sorry for the misery public sector cuts have caused to some but it's given me early retirement so a blessing for me.

I possibly could have become a dancer - I was good enough,though maybe not for Pan's People - but getting pregnant at 16 scuppered that dream. But god help the poor patients if I'd become a nurse! :laugh:

I don't regret how my life panned out, however.