UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

May's Meandering Monologue

merledogs

Great news Andrea :flowers:

Hope Adam is ok now, Julia.

I may not get much sleep tonight as we found a chilled and dehydrated pheasant chick on our walk. It had keeled over on the path. I have had advice from a bird rescue over in Lincs, but it's touch and go. The rescue lady said that the weak ones do get left behind by the hen. Anyway, it's now living in my bra :laugh: warmest place to keep a cold chick if you don't have a heat lamp. Off now to give it more drops of water. If it survives the night I should be able to get it to a wildlife rescue tomorrow. It would be inconvenient to have a gamebird permanently living in my bra. :unsure:

I'm thinking of putting eggs in my bra tomorrow, one in each cup :laugh: I set 24 eggs in my incubator last weekend with the intention of starting them off in there before giving the fertile ones to broody Bridget Brahma this weekend for the final two weeks. I don't normally get more than a 50% fertility rate on posted eggs so I was a bit surprised when 20 of them were fertile :wacko: Bridget is a hefty bird but not that hefty to be able to cover 20 eggs. I thought that wasn't the end of the world, I'd leave some in the incy and sneak them under her once they'd hatched. But then the electricity board announced they were switching off power for the entire street for 6 hours tomorrow :mad: I doubt incy eggs could survive that long without heat so I've squeezed as many eggs as I can under Bridget and have just two left in the incy. I'm seriously considering tucking one under each boob tomorrow :unsure:

Morning :tired:

I hate Monday, or for that fact any day which requires me to go back to work after a couple of days off. At least it's bank holiday this weekend. although I am praying for rain so the asbo neighbours don't start with the music blaring again :(

I hope birds in bras are okay wacko.gifflowers.gif

And congratulations Granny Anny laugh.gif

Pheasant chick is still with us and much more lively. I nicked the snails' heat mat much to their disgust - if they get too cold they can seal themselves in so should be OK - and put it under a towel under a lidded plastic aquarium tank. Left chick with a smidgen of moistened biscuit and some water, also my woolly hat to use as a sleeping bag and an ickle tiny teddybear to keep it company. It did OK until 4.30 when it started shouting and had to come into bed with me. It slept in the hollow of my neck, but of course I didn't sleep in case I rolled and squashed it, so read a book. It's back in the warm tank in the bedroom now and seems to have settled. When I go in it will doubtless start off again as it does whenever I am near. Need to get it to a wildlife rescue asap as I don't want it to get imprinted on me. It has done a small poo this morning so I think it has eaten some of the moistened biscuit I left for it.

I found a list of wildlife rescues but most of the local numbers are out of date, which is why I was getting advice from one in Lincs. Going to ring round the vets and see if anyone knows of a nearer one.

Well done ickle chick :flowers:

I have a very unexpected day off ... mind you throwing up half way through getting dressed for work was very unexpected as well :rolleyes: rang the boss to say I might be in later and anyone would think I rang in to say I had bubonic plague :wacko: I have been banished until tomorrow and am only to go in tomorrow if I am 100% in case its something I might pass on to the children :wacko:

Hope you feel better soon snow.

Ickle chick and I are shortly off to a wildlife hospital nr Lincoln. They have a few pheasant chicks in already so are set up to deal with it, and it will have company which should cheer it up. I can fill a hot water bottle for the journey.

Hope you feel better soon Snow :flowers:

Ickle chick :wub:

RMF : A situation at work is awful again, I am getting dragged down with it and just want it to be over and done, which it won't be for a couple of months. I am not feeling well either, had awful dire rear yesterday and today I feel like I'm coming down with something. Oh woe :rolleyes: