UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Another Request For Healing Thoughts

sproggie14

Glad to hear that Billy is out of danger :)

:GroupHug: to all his family

Making those kind of decisions is never easy but for me, I would be guided by the vet (as long as you trust him). Dogs often do really well with only three legs and he'd be up and mobile much more quickly than if repairs are undertaken to the shattered leg.

Will keep sending positive thoughts to Billy :GroupHug:

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:flowers: glad to hear billy is eating

as for amputation, i understand fully how your mum feels, i was in that situation myself with my cat... at the first instance i said i wanted him PTS not because i had an issue with amputation but because i couldn't imagine him being the same cat... luckily my vet said he would have him if i opted for pts so i asked if he was sure he would be o.k and he said worst case scenario he would be a house cat.... he is anything but a house cat, he can outrun a staffy and staffy x and he still scales 6 ft fences on a regular basis, i am glad he didn't get PTS and he was up and about on 3 legs the same day of his surgery. he needs an anti inflammatory jab a couple of times a year and that is it :biggrin: he is now 12 years old and had 3 limbs for 10 years and is still as happy. if billy does need an amputation i would say go for it :flowers:

Oh absolutely, there's no question of not going for it don't worry :) One thing Billy isn't is a dog to give up or be bothered by things, much as he's a typical woosy lurcher with pain. I have no doubt that he'll be up and creating mischief very soon :biggrin: It's ironic really as Rosie had part of her foot amputated because of an old injury she sustained before they got her so they'll have this strangely co-ordinated pair of dodgy legged long dogs :rolleyes:

Is it front or back leg he may have to have amputated?

Milly got around brilliantly on three legs after having her front leg amputated, even though she had severe HD in her back ones. It might help your parents if you show them some videos of three legged dogs running and swimming and enjoying themselves (I have some of Milly I can post if you are interested).

There is also a website called Tripaws http://tripawds.com/ which they might like to have a look at if the worst comes to the worst flowers.gif

I've met a few 3 legged dogs but the memory which stays is one of a very active doberman girl. We had not seen her for a few weeks so when we did meet up she and Ben charged around as usual..... then her owner pointed out that the reason we had not seen them was she had lost a back leg due to an accident......if he had not pointed it out I would not have noticed until she came close to us, she was running around the same as normal.

Edited by buddyboy

It's his front right leg Alex. I was talking to them about Milly last night actually, saying that despite everything else she had going on she didn't let losing her leg affect her :flowers: Thank you so much for that link and yes please to the videos, I'm sure that'll help. As I say logically Mum knows he'll be fine but I think she is finding the prospect a bit upsetting so I'm sure seeing other dogs doing well will help :)

I'm told Billy stood up by himself and turned himself round last night :biggrin:

So glad he is progressing now despite that appalling bad treatment by the E-vet. You wouldn't credit a qualified professional with all those years of training could miss all that. Pity you can't name and shame so other folk know and can avoid using that one in future.

I'm so sorry to hear Billy was mis-diagnosed :GroupHug: As for the amputation as you know I had Sheena who had her back leg amputated. She recovered really quickly for an old girl and was the happiest and bounciest we'd ever seen her afterwards. It didn't stop her at all. Hoping it doesn't come to that for Billy but he will be absolutely fine if it does.

Group_Hug_Emoticon.gif Group_Hug_Emoticon.gif Group_Hug_Emoticon.gif to you, Billy and your family.

To add to the 3 legged dog stories, there is a 3 legged dog who does flyball. He doesn't do many runs, but he has managed to get up to his intermediate award in flyball, which is an amazing achievement. He has lost one of his front legsflowers.gif