UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Another Request For Healing Thoughts

sproggie14

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's his front right leg Alex. I was talking to them about Milly last night actually, saying that despite everything else she had going on she didn't let losing her leg affect her flowers.gif Thank you so much for that link and yes please to the videos, I'm sure that'll help. As I say logically Mum knows he'll be fine but I think she is finding the prospect a bit upsetting so I'm sure seeing other dogs doing well will help smile.gif

Try these :

Milly 1

Milly 2

Milly 3

Milly 4

Milly 5

Milly 6

And has now apparently got up and walked to the other end of the house to stand at the back door to ask to go out for a wee bigsmiley.gif

Fabulous news partytime.gif

Thanks everyone :flowers:

Billy is doing ok physically. He had another dressing change yesterday which they did under sedation as it's still very painful for him. Today he apparently walked himself back into the house after his morning wee and then tried to get up on the bed (his choice of daytime sleeping location generally). My step dad helped him up on to the bed and he slept there all day, getting himself up to turn round, adjust the pillows, get under the duvet when he got cold etc :rolleyes:

But mentally he's not doing so well. Mum says that he didn't react when they went to pick him up from the vets yesterday. Usually he hears them in the waiting room and starts squeaking but even when they walked in the room he just looked at them with a big scowl. He won't eat and he doesn't want to do anything but sleep. This is so very out of character for Billy, usually it's a constant battle to keep him quiet and to fend off his constant demands for attention and play. Of course a certain amount is to be expected but I think what is really troubling my Mum is that there isn't an end in sight for him. Best case scenario he has another 6 weeks of going to the vet and having his dressing changed three times a week. And then after that he still needs to face either amputation or skin grafts and a plate in his wrist. Mum is so worried that he just can't cope with so many more weeks of being this depressed. :mecry:

She asked me tonight whether I thought it would be kinder to Billy to just go ahead with the amputation, therefore giving him about a 4 week recovery without so many procedures as opposed to possibly three months of being pulled around. I have to wonder if she might have a point. I told her to talk to the vet on Monday and I've also posted on the tripawds forum to see what people think. We obviously don't want to rush a decision which might have major implications for him but nor do we want to put him through a long fight to have a 50/50 chance of saving a leg he might be better off without.

I've suggested to Mum that she try and get him some Gentian Bach flower remedy as I know gentian is an appetite stimulant and apparently it's also good for depression caused by illness. Any other suggestions of ways to cheer him up and get him eating would be very much appreciated :)

Poor Billy. I had a hell of a time getting Milly to eat so just gave her whatever I could get down her. Tins of fish, meat fried up for her, etc. Someone on here suggested those pouches of fish in butter sauce which was going to be my next purchase but she left me before I could try it.

The vet can give an injection which stimulates appetite, but not sure how that would react with existing meds.

Re the leg, if your mum trusts her vet then let her be guided by them.

I was amazed at how Milly coped with her amputation - I thought she wouldn't be able to walk properly but she was able to walk straight away and within a week or two she was coming out on walks. She could only do shorter walks initially until the muscles around her remaining front leg built up but within a few weeks she could do an hour or longer easily. Not that I'm saying Billy should have his leg off, but if it is the better option in his case, then they do adapt. Hydro is very good for building up the muscles.

Whatever happens, I hope Billy is back to himself soon Group_Hug_Emoticon.gif

Edited by merledogs

I'm feeling a bit more encouraged now as we went to see him this morning. To everyone's surprise he got up when he heard us come in, hopped to the door and greeted us almost as normal with a full waggy tail and lots of licks. He even tried to jump up :ohmy: Of course after about 30 seconds of that he suddenly realised what he had done and looked suddenly exhausted. But he managed to walk to the other end of the house and lay down on his duvet which is really good progress for him. It's really encouraging to know that the old Billy is still in there and that he can still get excited given the right stimulus.

We went via Tesco and bought him a load of goodies (cocktail sausages, ham, corned beef, pate, pigs ears and some vile looking tripe sticks) so hopefully something in there will tempt him. Last night Mum put some cat food in the cats bowl, left it within his reach and left the room. Everything tastes better when it's stolen :laugh: So we left a cocktail sausage on his bed and ignored him and after a minute it disappeared. And then once he had the taste he had a few more. So that's all a bit more positive at least :)

Billy is doing really really well :biggrin:

Yesterday he ate all of the ham we took over for him and most of the pate. At the vets today they were able to change his bandage without any sedation and he only whimpered a couple of times. The wound looks really good and is healing well. He doesn’t need to go back again until Thursday!

Since he got home from the vets he has eaten two sachets of cat food. He has been much more mobile, wandering about in the garden when he goes for a wee and he also tried to get up on the bed this morning.

So I think the fight to save his leg is back on track :biggrin: Huge thanks to everyone sending him reiki and healing, it seems to really be helping :flowers: