UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

I Am So Proud So Wanted To Share

elricc

I work with really difficult teenagers, (excluded etc) one day a week we do Personal and social development. This is a broad ranging qualification which teaches social skills etc.

We are doing our community award one of the challenges is to raise some money for a charity. We went to visit the local RSPCA for the afternoon and came back were upon my group came up with brilliant ideas to make money for them, their behaviour was perfect, they were polite and helpful.

Today I had 10 15 year olds making dog collars with me, they were thoughtful, inspired commited, wanted to stay after school, made collars to take home. These kids have been written off by so many, and the empathy they felt for abandoned animals was overwhelming. I couldn't post a picture due to confidentiality, but watching these kids would have given everyone hope for the future. It was extrordinary.

Next wednesday we go to drop off the collars phone charms etc that we made off. I fully expect to cry. I think this was the first time that these kids had been succesful and confident.

I know it's not totally dog related but it's showing what the connexion can do.

We take students here at the kennels who, whilst rarely have been fully exluded are often removed from regular school hours for 2 days a week. Whilst some are not the most talkative or outgoing, most have fitted in very well with the staff and turned out to be damned good workers.

So glad that these students have someone who is proud of them. So often they are just written off. Or told so many times that they are useless, no hopers or total wastes of space, who can blame them at times for living up to others expectations?

Would love to see pics of some of their work.