UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

November Rmf

owl

the builders next door were treated to the sight of my shuffling thru the leaves, fighting with plastic bags that wanted to blow away whilst bent at the waist and muttering rood words to myself for a good 20 mins wacko.gif

Similar to what my neighbours must witness on a daily basis :laugh:

I had fenced the grass off for the winter like I normally do, but Milly likes to go on grass, so takes ages to acclimatise herself to not being able to go on it and I end up getting up every half hour to let her out or else coming down to wees on the rug, so I opened part of the fence up again for her, seeing as she's poorly. However, with the rain we've had over the past week or so, the living room was constantly covered in muddy paws and mud spatters, so I have fenced it off again this morning. If necessary I will let Milly only onto the lawn to do pottys, but am not going to leave it open all the time.

RMF: I went back to sleep, got up and vacuumed the living room (which really needed it as I hadn't cleaned properly last weekend as I was studying). Thankfully the new rugs are dead easy to clean and because they are flatweave they don't seem to hold onto the hair, which gathers in corners instead, so is easy to pick up between cleans.

Morning :)

I have bought some charcoal granules for Dylan the amazing farting kitten :sick01: I am hoping they live up to their promise to 'safely and efectively control bodily odours' :laugh:

Oh fabulous,he's just fallen off the dining room table..he has no sense of danger whatsoever and how he doesn't hurt himself I do not know :rolleyes:

Morning :)

I have bought some charcoal granules for Dylan the amazing farting kitten :sick01: I am hoping they live up to their promise to 'safely and efectively control bodily odours' :laugh:

Oh fabulous,he's just fallen off the dining room table..he has no sense of danger whatsoever and how he doesn't hurt himself I do not know :rolleyes:

lap tops playing stupid buggers and posted that twice.Ooopsy.

Edited by Kats inc

Morning

Lovely morning for a walk but sadly the world and his wife seemed to think the same so we played dodge the dog all the way.

Couldn't sleep last night despite feeling very tired. At least I know why though.

I'm going to have a right old sort out over the next 5 days. Thankfully I managed to get the agency to book 2 days holiday for next week so will be paid for those and lose out on pay for the other 2. So want this job and not just because I need one.

Martyn paid for Think Dog Certificate for me the night before I was told not to go to work. Heyho it's one of those things. I'm going to make a start on reading a book while I'm waiting for the coursework to come through as I think it could well turn up on Monday. Am very excited about it.

Katsinc I know nowt about cats but I hope you can find something to stop the wind.

Edited by Jacobean

Hello folks and thanks for thinking about us all :flowers:

I meant to come on yesterday and say hello and post some pictures but all the bailing really knackered my all ready knackered shoulder and I wasn't feeling too good.

The flood waters have receded and even tho it's just started raining again I don't think it will cause a problem. We have had a really good dry spell, about 30 hours, and it's just given everything a breathing space.

The same homes at the bottom end of town that were flooded in 2005 have been flooded again and the owners are really pee'd off, naturally.

Our trouble came not from the river overflow but that the standing water from the heavy downpour couldn't drain away as the drains were just overwhelmed and couldn't cope. We had 2 streams running along each side of our street. For some reason the two houses preceding ours don't have downspouts but we do and so all the water coming off their roofs (rooves?) travels along their guttering to ours & empties down our downspout and into an underground drain which runs under our garden and out to join the main drain under the street. At the same time our garden is inclined back toward the house to allow water falling on the flags to run away into the drain so this, combined with the roof water, overwhelmed the drain and started backing up in the garden. We bailed like crazy into the flower beds but had to keep stopping every now and again as they got sodden. We were able to resume once they drained.

Finally there were huge bursts at various points on our river and ironically this caused some relief on the drainage system. It also meant that there was a knock on effect along the river's flow which leads to meets up with other rivers and Bass lake and so it passed the trouble along to Cockermouth :(

Anyway at about 9pm on Thursday night I looked out to check the level and it had receded from the front door by several inches so we did some final bailing and got it down by another couple of inches, went off to bed and got up to yesterday morning to find that the garden had completely drained :biggrin:

Here's some photos from around town that Ruby took on Thursday afternoon.

This is the river Greta on the left with the main road thro Keswick closed off as the river burst over it. We are two streets back from here but well out of danger from this flooding. The side street (to the right) directly behind the flooding was evacuated

PRd1.jpg

This is, or was, a bowling green with tennis courts behind it in the park on the opposite bank to the photo above.

ThePark.jpg

The local supermarket - the water got very much higher than this later in the day. The supermarket was badly flooded.

TBarnBooths.jpg

This is at the bottom end of town where the worst flooding occurred. Many, many houses around here were flooded. The wall you see the river spilling over normally has a 10ft drop in the other side so you can see how high the river came up!

HHwaterspillingover.jpg

And looking back the other way into town

OldKSroadflooding.jpg

All the water has now receded, although they have closed the bridge that Ruby was standing on when she took the second too last photo as a crack has appeared on it. People are starting the clean up although it will be a long time before they will have liveable houses to go back too as the drying out process takes months.

The emergency services have been bloody fantastic and deserve a huge pat on the back as do the many voluntary organisations that have mobilised to offer help.

WOW those are some amazing photos Marian - so pleased to hear that you are all ok though flowers.gif

Flipping good thing I'm not catholic else I'd be spending the rest of today saying Hail Mary's the amount of very unchristian swearing and abuse I have been directing at the magazine coordinators this morning laugh.gif flipping good thing they weren't in earshot or within arms reach either laugh.gif honestly this is the most frustrating and annoying part of my job, and it NEEDNT BE!!!!!! Every single one of them has been sent a template which I created for them to use when putting together their contribution to the magazine, every single one of them has been told repeatedly use MY template, do NOT format the text unless it's in MY template, they know what size font is to be used and what font they must use ....and without exception every ruddy one of them thats sent their stuff in has this month used their own flipping template, formatted fancy looking text inserted clip art and feck knows what instead of me being able to just cutnpaste their stuff into the master document I have spent hours and ruddy hours reformatting, trying to find invisible clip art, tracking down hanging indents (who the fcuk needs a hanging indent anyway??????????) argggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggg sods fecking law that this is a double edition of the mag and its twice as much content as normal and all needs to be done and at the printers by Monday morning and yet 2 of them havent even sent me their stuff despite the deadline having been last bloody Wednesday ....and breathhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Am soaked: took hounds out for a walk along the River Walkham, took a wrong turn, ended up on Dartmoor, poured with rain, ducked into a wood for shelter: result, walk considerably longer than planned!

Molls leg held up OK though, she's doing really well. :biggrin:

Fingers crossed Michelle gets the new job, a slap for Snow's magazine contributors, and very pleased Yantan has not been washed away!

good afternoon. the hotel has improved the wifi range on t'internet so i can sit by the pool and surf on me laptop. no escape from me now where ever I am :laugh:

I'm not jealous at all of you sitting by a pool in the sun :mecry:

Hello Marion, glad you are safe and dry but really feel for those who are not (and for the poor policeman who died) :(

RMF : Had a lovely walk with our friends - there were 6 yoomans and 11 dogs, who all had an absolute whale of a time in the mud and water. Milly was mucky as anything but she really enjoyed herself :wub: