UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Could Smudge Have Some Come Home Thoughts Please

Sophie

We're back, and sadly still no sign of Smudge :(

We did find his ball next to a rabbit hole, so we at least have some idea of which area he is likely to be in.  

Sophie was very helpful, seemed to understand what we were doing, and focussed in on two rabbit holes in the area - every time we called Smudge's name she'd stick her head down one of the holes.  Whether this means she could hear/smell him down there, we're not sure, but hopefully it means something.  Logan and Sky had a great day running through the dunes, but were of no help whatsoever.

Mum and Morse are staying down in Wales until Smudge shows up - sadly my OH, my dad and me all need to be back in Reading for work so can't stay any longer :(

Huge thanks to owl for all your help :flowers:

Everything here is crossed that he'll make his way out of the warren and back to his mum soon.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Fell and Moorland people can't immediately think of a member in the area, but are asking around. At least you know the area Smudge is likely to be - well done Sophie dog. Will update the F & M about that and see who is the nearest person with an underground camera thingy for poking down holes.

Quick update, though there is not much to say - still no sign of Smudge :mecry:

My mum is planning on staying out there until Thursday morning, then will be heading back home :(  I think she's finding it very hard that, while he is stuck underground, there is not a lot that she can do.  There are signs up everywhere, word is spreading in the area, as some of the local dog walkers she talked to this morning were already aware having been told by friends, and I've been on the phone to everyone I can think of (RSPCA, dog warden, local vets) to see if anyone has reported him.

Will Fire Brigade help with thermal imaging as it looks like it's clear which burrow he's in.Shame F&M don't have someone close,they are so experienced at this.Come out Smudge.

The water and sewage people have that type of gear, and someone is kindly chasing that possibility. I hoped to go down today but got caught up with temp foster needing to get to vet. He is now with foster mum and I have my girls back. Hope to be there tomorrow lunchtime.

Back after 2 days on the Gower. We stayed overnight with Sophie's mum Kathy in the caravan. Wispa has been working very well, took scent from Smudge's harness and was off through the dunes nose to the ground and straight to the hole where his ball was found. We've found some other Smudge-smelling holes, mostly within the area of a gigantic warren which a local told us has been established for well over 100 years. Yesterday teatime both of us heard a yip from underground. We are certain he is in the complex somewhere. RSPCA man was ace, and so were the guys who came from the Brigade with listening equipment. No possibility of cameras in very winding burrows in dunes. They couldn't listen to the whole burrow, just too much of it, and didn't get anything definite.

We went back to the caravan feeling rather discouraged but this morning we met a local man with terriers who was returning to search in daylight, as late in the evening he had heard muffled barking and his terriers were very interested in some holes there.

Wispa and Morse seem to have struck up some kind of working relationship, and this morning Morse got really switched on and started working in tandem quartering the ground with Wispa and checking holes. Then at lunchtime we made our way home and as soon as I was back I got a call from Sophie. Morse found a hole, there seems to be some noise down it, and Morse has gone crazy trying to dig. Waiting to hear more.

There are 2 knackered dogs asleep IN my bed and I'm not much better myself. Polly hasn't done anything but must be overwhelmed by the excitement of spending the night in the caravan :laugh:

Edited by owl