UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

July R M F

Wendbert

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Glad you are back, phoebejo.

I am not a happy owl. Some sad losses on the lost & found scene, and a deliberate killing. Some days you feel anything you do is a drop in the ocean. Wish I could be a braver and harder person.

Also v cheesed off with a doctor at the hospital which MummyOwl has just left. She is now in a residential home for 2 weeks respite care, and my sister and auntie say it appears to be very good. I mentioned that she had been suffering from confusion on and off. I was worried because she was more confused than when she went in, and it was of a different nature. Originally it was caused by urinary bug, as can happen quite often. But the bug was cleared and she became worse, but more at some times of the day than others. She wasn't just muddled or forgetful, she was talking non stop in an almost manic kind of way and not like herself at all. No one knew why, and all my sister could get from anyone was that it might improve and it might not.

My sister Judith decided to google "sudden onset memory loss" and came up with some stuff about the effects of statins on some elderly women. There have been cases of a few ladies becoming severely confused after going on to statins and immediately recovering after the drug was stopped. A major research project has just been completed but the results have not yet been published. At present the drug companies are saying it's only "anecdotal" and brushing it aside, but doctors who have encountered this are asking some serious questions.

Judith suggested to the doctor that it might be worth taking mum off statins as her congestive heart problem has cleared and she has low blood pressure and cholesterol. Doctor was OK with this, said she was just on a low dose as a precaution but he was happy to take her off it to see if there was a change. As soon as the medication was stopped, mum was back to her usual clear-headed self. Clarity for 2 days, then very confused last night. Clear this morning but suddenly lost it altogether an hour after medication. Judith has discovered another doctor had put her back on statins. Mum was transferred to nursing home talking a fair bit of rubbish, and under the impression that she can recharge her mobile phone from her underwear! Judith will be talking to GP tomorrow and making sure she stays off the statins.

I wonder just how many people are now being diagnosed with senile dementia when it is reaction to these drugs.

Hope I feel a bit more positive tomorrow.

Ooooh I signed on this morning for the first time for a while and found everything changed :wacko: I have no chance of catching up on RMF without the aid of the button that took me to first unread post so I shall simply say that I hope everyone is well :flowers: And if you are not then have :GroupHug:

If that's the case about statins, I find it rather scary that they are talking about putting everyone on them as a matter of course, whether or not you have symptoms that require them! The cases of "Alzheimers" will soar! Hope your mum is kept off them.

Morning.

:GroupHug: Phebe :GroupHug:

one of the post upgrade tasks is to rebuild all the post data

so far its done 42,000 of the 600,000 posts... and has been running a hour so this should be finished in time for christmas

:laugh: :laugh:

Now I can get into my PMs and my text isn't all funny, I am very much liking the new board :flowers: I like that the most used smilies all come up in one block rather than having to click onto the second bit.

Ange, the easily pleased.

In case anyone else hasn't worked it out yet, if you want to quote more than one post to reply to, just click the "multiquote" button on each of the posts you want to quote, then select reply and it will bring the various quotes up for you.

:flowers: to Pingu for mammoth task.

Thanks to all for :GroupHug: I do feel a bit better this morning.

suzeanna, I agree. I'm very concerned about this attitude of bulk prescribing. Lots of ££ for the drug companies, and statins I am told are cheap, so not a problem for the NHS. I can remember when everyone with the slightest touch of depression or fatigue was put on valium, and loads of people got addicted. One of my dogwalking mates told me this morning that confusion is mentioned in the leaflet in the statins package as being a possible side-effect. He gave up statins as well, because of a different side-effect.

Edited by owl