UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

A Flora Update

dirtychicken

• Replies 614
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I spoke to my vet yesterday and they've not been able to get hold of Langford due to a problem with the phone system. She's going to try again on Tuesday.

I need to collect more Rimadyl today, plus a supply of Tramadol (a new one on Flora).

I also need to find a way of getting Flora to lose weight quickly :err: She's been having her food cut back for the last 5/6 weeks but is still putting weight on as she isn't being exercised at all. I've, so far, been trying to do it slowly and steadily, thinking that we had much more time than we actually have now. She needs to drop enough weight so that she is "thin" before the op as she'll be going a further 3 months without any exercise and the only recommendation that the vet has at the moment (surprise, surprise) is Hills diet food :rolleyes:

She's actually having quite a good day today, which always makes me stop and question what's happening, but I just know that by tonight she'll be stiff and sore again :(

Sarah, I hope they can sort the phone system out quickly so you can progress. In regard to her losing weight, can you not bulk her food out with veg or look for a low fat food. I feed my two labrador pero which is low fat anyway (specially for greedy labradors) with a lower fat mixer added to a) lower the fat level and b) the protein levels. As Neo has aggression issues particularly on lead it has calmed him down and obviously you have seen the difference in Saffy which was necessary for her HD. I would think that you dont want to be feeding a high protein diet either when she is housebound as she will have loads of energy still but not sure about the healing effects so you would need to check with your vet. Maybe you could feed a homemade food which might work out cheaper too. That way you can what you need to by way of Glaucosamine and herbal remedies that might help healing. :GroupHug:

In regard to her losing weight, can you not bulk her food out with veg or look for a low fat food.

I think what I might do is carry on making the homemade stuff that they have at the moment but drop the meat from it so that they're still having a mix of veg, rice and barley with a scoop of kibble (they're on CSJ Champ at the mo but I need to check the nutrient levels).

When she was younger and going through this before, it was very easy to get her to drop or put on weight. I could see the difference in just a few meals. But obviously her body mass is completely different now.

It feels all wrong for her to be having to drop a lot of weight and quickly :err: but it's going to be so important and make such a difference.

Edited by dirtychicken

I think what I might do is carry on making the homemade stuff that they have at the moment but drop the meat from it so that they're still having a mix of veg, rice and barley with a scoop of kibble (they're on CSJ Champ at the mo but I need to check the nutrient levels).

If you make the homemade stuff with white fish it will have much lower fat levels, or else use chicken/turkey but cook it separately and then drain the fat off before you mix it with the rice and veg :flowers: You can always just use more veg added in to bulk it out as well.

CSJ do one called 'Old Champ' which is only 6% oil - I ordered some for Max yesterday as he's on a diet :flowers:

Edited by merledogs

When she was younger and going through this before, it was very easy to get her to drop or put on weight. I could see the difference in just a few meals. But obviously her body mass is completely different now.

It feels all wrong for her to be having to drop a lot of weight and quickly :err: but it's going to be so important and make such a difference.

Hi Sarah, please do not drop the meat from her diet - cut out the rice and barley completely and bulk up with green and root vegetables. Protein is the building block of muscles and without this Flora will not be able to make enough muscle to help her through this. Please have a look at this link

http://www.b-naturals.com/newsletter/cooked-diet/

which explains the principles behind home cooking for your dog. A normal dog should not have more than 1/6 of the diet made up of carbohydrates and a dog that has Flora's problems needs a higher percentage of protein. Barty eats a complete meat based diet as he is raw fed and the only problem I have with him is maintaining his weight. He has dropped nearly 3.5 lbs in the last 10 days because of the cold weather and running about silly in snow.

It is important that Flora gets a good diet full of vitamins and the right proteins so that she will heal quickly and well.

I hope that the vet gets their phone system sorted soon so that you can get Flora's appointment. If you want more diet advice you have my phone number and I am always happy to talk you know that.

All our love

Anne

I am sorry, I'm not explaining myself very well at the moment :blush: :flowers:

I was only going to leave the meat out of her homecooked food whilst she's still having the kibble as well, but if she's only going to have homecooked food then of course I'll leave the meat/fish in :flowers: I've just bought some frozen tripe to make the next lot of stew :sick01: and have just got some SA37 for her too.

Despite her mum being rather hopeless, if her "little" brother has anything to do with it, she'll fly through as he's taking great care of her :wub: :wub:

DSCF2086.jpg

DSCF2091.jpg

That's makes it clearer but to be absolutely honest Sarah, you would be better off dropping the kibble which is more carbohydrate than protein and giving her your home cooked food with more veg and meat and getting rid of the rice and barley. Dogs use fats and carbohydrates in a different way to humans and end up storing carbohydrates as fat in their bodies but fat gets used as instant energy. Therefore if you want a dog to lose weight you are better off upping the protein and lowering the carbohydrates.

I am going to ask a good friend of mine who is a canine nutritionist to see if she will give you some better help.