UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

The 2009 Diet Thread

Wendbert

Spins you can do whatever you like. You dont have to do a specific diet, you could just cut down on 'bad' food. Depends on how much you have to lose and what kind of foods you really like. I find if I have to cut out things I really like its harder to stick to long term which is why I do SW because I can have nice things in moderation. :biggrin:

I usually eat quite healthy meals, low fat, lots of veg (apart from when I can't be bothered and I only eat Weetabix for a day or two- it's not that often) but I'm a snacker and don't eat healthy snacks and I have strong chocolate cravings that I give into every day. Not good!

• Replies 655
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can you eat more smaller meals rather than snacking? Or try snacking on healthy things? I love 'mugshots' (pasta or noodles in a cup) for this. Just pour on boiling water and wait a few minutes. Especially the cheesey one as it seems more naughty than it is. Does your chocolate have to be bars of chocolate or can it be choccy flavoured things? Cadburys have a new 'lighter' cadbury mousse that you could try. Try dipping strawberries into it or banana or kiwi etc. You are filling yourself up with fruit but getting the choccy flavour.

What I find REALLY helps is to keep a food diary. Write down EVERYTHING that goes past your lips, including chewing gum, milk in tea and coffee etc, the odd boiled sweet, the extra lump of cheese that was left over..... Its amazing how all the little bits add up. :wink:

Does your chocolate have to be bars of chocolate or can it be choccy flavoured things?

What I find REALLY helps is to keep a food diary. Write down EVERYTHING that goes past your lips, including chewing gum, milk in tea and coffee etc, the odd boiled sweet, the extra lump of cheese that was left over..... Its amazing how all the little bits add up. :wink:

It's the texture of chocolate as well as the taste that I like.

Wasn't that scarey when you started doing it?

Edited by Spins4me

You can still have your chocolate, just moderate it and watch what else you have with it/after it/before it. :laugh:

LOL, yes it was but thats the whole point, to make me realise exactly what I have been eating (that I didnt necessarily need to) :rolleyes: And it helped me to chose other things instead that might be slightly better for me. Still havent found a replacement for wine though! :laugh:

Could you try dividing choccie bars into smaller amounts and having them either in the fridge or freezer? When they are colder/harder they take longer to eat so less would give you the craving buster.

Hi All

(sneaks back in blushing) :blush:

I havent been in here for ages and have just caught up, how well are you all doing!!! Well done!!

I fell off the SW wagon after just a couple of weeks, just couldnt get my head in the right place so wandered off. I have pulled myself together now, and both Sian and I are plodding on. I kept the weight that I lost at SW off (somehow) and have lost another 11lb to go with it over the last 4 weeks, so since I started its 1st 2.5lb gone. Now I just have to keep on trucking.

Well done again... I wonder if it was added up, how much weight has been lost on this thread????

Edited by chasta

Hi All

(sneaks back in blushing) :blush:

I havent been in here for ages and have just caught up, how well are you all doing!!! Well done!!

I fell off the SW wagon after just a couple of weeks, just couldnt get my head in the right place so wandered off. I have pulled myself together now, and both Sian and I are plodding on. I kept the weight that I lost at SW off (somehow) and have lost another 11lb to go with it over the last 4 weeks, so since I started its 1st 2.5lb gone. Now I just have to keep on trucking.

Well done again... I wonder if it was added up, how much weight has been lost on this thread????

Well done Chasta on your weight loss :flowers:

I think you do have to be in the right place mentally to change your eating habits - it's not easy. Well done for getting back on board :biggrin:

Interesting question about the total weight loss though :unsure:

Did you feel hungry when you tried it?

Spins - I'm not dieting at the moment so I probably shouldn't be in here, but just wanted to say that a few years back when me and OH were much larger than we are now, we decided we just ate too much. I did a bit of reading up on what an appropriate portion size would be and then stuck to that.

It took two weeks of being hungry (right proper stomach growling hunger for a couple of days but tailing off after that) and then we seemed to just adjust. Bodies get used to larger amounts of food scarily easily, abut they also can adjust back.

Of all the things we tried to lose weight, I have to say cutting down on the amount of food was the single most important thing, and I am stil amazed today by the amount of food we used to eat compared to now.

Stick with it :)

I'm convinced you're right about getting used to eating larger portions v easily. I've done it over the recent past.

I've spent the last few days working on improving what I'm eating - no more weetabix for lunch and more salad (green salad especially) and greater variety of veg and trying to remember to drink more water.

I've also been watching Paul McKenna and thinking about following what he suggests.

I put on 1.75 lbs this week.

But, if you remember I was full of stinky cold last week, and really hadn't eaten before my "weigh-in" so knew it was a bit :wacko:

However, since two weeks ago, I have still lost 2.5 lbs, so I'm happy I'm heading in the right direction.

Spins4me - I deal with my "need" for chocolate by allowing some every day. I have an afternoon "treat" - with my afternoon tea I allow myself some crisps, chocolate biscuit or the like - but I do try to have something like a 2 finger Kit Kat, rather than a mega Mars Bar, and some Quavers rather than fattier crisps, but I also have around yogurt and fruit - and sometimes I just decide I would rather have the fruit or yogurt.

Then, after dinner, I always have a piece of chocolate.

Knowing there are two points in the day when I am "allowed" naughty treats has kept me going for 16 weeks now.

Just don't ask what I had for dinner tonight though.