UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

1950's Sweeties

billydog

Can I hijack this while people's minds are on sweeties and ask if anyone remembers the small cube chewy fruity chews? Smooth on the outside? I remember the bigger flatter ones being called Tootie Frooties or something, but these were smaller and cubes and in pastel colours.

Sherbert lemons, they rip the roof of your mouth to shreds but are worth it. Also pear drops, mint lumps, sherbert fountains, pink shrimps, flying saucers, black jacks, fruit salads, licquorice comfits, licquorice pipes, sweet cigarettes. No wonder my dental bills are so high!!!

Dolly Mixtures. My first sweeties. "Two ounces of dolly mixtures, please, and here's my sweetie coupon". :laugh:

Oh, and Soor Plooms, though they sound Scottish (and a bit rude :unsure: ) - they were green and very sharp.

I liked Chocolate Mint Cracknell too (round white hard mint with chocolate stripes and filling...mmm), but can never find them now. :mecry:

Can I hijack this while people's minds are on sweeties and ask if anyone remembers the small cube chewy fruity chews? Smooth on the outside? I remember the bigger flatter ones being called Tootie Frooties or something, but these were smaller and cubes and in pastel colours.

Dolly mixtures?

Does anyones else remember Mint Crunchies in the late 60's - OH thinks I'm having him on.....

Were they the one's that were renamed Skittles?

I think A 1/4 Of do the Easy Fundraising thing, I'm sure I just saw them :unsure:

You can still get DibDabs I had one on Monday :biggrin:

I believe Soor Plooms are indeed Scottish, although now a days they are a poor imitation of the ones I remember.

Spanish Gold was my favourite.

Does anybody remember the tubes of juice you used to get ? this would have been mid 70's, you would get a hard tube filled with juice and compressed air which had a tab you peeled off to reveal wee holes to put a straw in.

Does anybody remember the tubes of juice you used to get ? this would have been mid 70's, you would get a hard tube filled with juice and compressed air which had a tab you peeled off to reveal wee holes to put a straw in.

The mid 70's!!!! I was all growed up and sensible then and didn't drink juice out of tubes! I drank sophisticated stuff like Cinzano and lemonade with a cocktail cherry in it.

In about 1958 (the olden days :laugh: ) there was an orange squash drink called Jubbly in a kind if pyramid shaped carton.

Edited by Spins4me

Thanks folks lol - no definitely not dolly mixtures. These had a smooth outer coating like Tooty Frooties or Skittles, but Skittles came later and were round, brighter and sourer. These were little cubes in pastel colours, sweeter than Skittles (cos Skittles made me carsick so I remember vividly lol). Maybe they were just bastardised Tooty Frooties, they were just like them except smaller and cubes lol.