UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Hit A Dog With The Car This Morning

houndzrus

I was on my way to a client this morning and driving past some houses when, seemingly out of nowhere, a little dog darted across the road in front of me. I braked and swerved but there was a sickening thud as I hit him :( . I looked in the rear view mirror and saw him lying in the road on his back, legs flailing in the air :mecry: :mecry: A woman ran out of a nearby house and picked him up so I went to the house with her. Poor dog was still flailing, his head rolling around, eyes blank. It was one hell of a shock and I just couldn't believe what I'd done. :mecry:

The woman kept saying it's not your fault,and she left the door open etc etc, but that wasn't any help to be honest. :mecry:

I went back to the house a little while later as I wanted to know if there was anything I could do, and of course find out what happened to the dog. Well, someone must be looking after that boy today because he's been checked over by the vet and seems to be fine, he was wagging his tail, jumping up and even licked me! he's less than a year old and a little lively terrier. I think my car must have clipped his head and sent him into a spin, thank god the back wheels didn't go over him. He was looking the other way while he was running! :(

The woman happier, but I was crying and still in shock.

Anyway, my boss has sent me home to have some time to get myself together as I have to get to an important meeting this afternoon in Stratford, and i really can't get out of it. I've never hit anything living before and it's such a horrible feeling. :(

Edited by houndzrus

So glad the dog is OK, and :GroupHug: for you, can understand your shock. Consider that something positive has come from it - that woman won't be leaving the door open again, and the terrier will hopefully be safer in the future. So you might have done the little tyke a favour, in a roundabout way.

How awful for you, it's the stuff of nightmare :GroupHug: :GroupHug: I bet you are really shaken. I'm so glad the little dog is okay - I hope you feel better soon - you did everything you could have done to avoid hitting him and to help him afterwards, that's all anyone could do :GroupHug:

:GroupHug: :GroupHug: how terrible for you, it's awful when you love animals so much that you think you have caused them pain :mecry: :mecry: At least you swerved which is more than some people would of done.

I remember OH knocking a poodle down years ago, poor thing died on impact. It had got out of the owners garden along with another dog had they both just run out into the road. OH did an emergency stop, but sadly still hit it. It was quite a old dog and I think the shock killed it more than anything, but to this day I can still hear the bump :(

OMG Marge, what a horrid experience for you! :ohmy: That's one of the reasons that whenever I open my front door, the dogs are always in the living room with the door shut. I am so so pleased that the dog was okay, although as others have said, it was not your fault! I hope you manage to calm yourself soon :GroupHug:

Edited by merledogs

what a shock for you :GroupHug: I have nighmares about that too

and my road is notorious for animals straying accross.

Glad you are ok and so is the cheeky chappy.

Again, whenever i open the front door my inner door (to the porch) is closed

so no one can escape - i just hope that woman learned her lesson and wont

be so damn irresponsible again.