UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

The Chicken Thread.

phoebejo

• Replies 995
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We'll be able to name the Cream Legbars at birth because they're an auto-sexing breed which means baby girls and baby boys look different. Of the mixed bunch I probably will not know for weeks, it depends what breeds they are. I don't think I'll name the boys, I can't get attached to them at all.

Good luck Cheryl :flowers:

It's all very exciting. My experience with an incubator and buying in 'fertilised' eggs was about a 20% success rate but it does very much depend on loads of things so I'm hoping you have better luck :biggrin: I've used a similar incubator to yours - or so it would appear from the pictures - but yours may be more up to date. I've used DEFRA approved hen producers and just people I've found on e-bay for the eggs with no discernible difference in hatching rate so I do think there's an element of luck, regardless.

I never bothered to candle my eggs so just waited for the result. Be interesting to see how you get on with that :) One of the reasons I didn't candle them was because I thought I wouldn't be able to interpret the results accurately!

My hens were soooooo happy that today at last the ground had defrosted sufficiently for them to scratch properly in the soil and look for grubs. I don't think there were any grubs anywhere near the surface but it didn't stop them having fun :laugh:

Edited by Katiebob

My hens were soooooo happy that today at last the ground had defrosted sufficiently for them to scratch properly in the soil and look for grubs. I don't think there were any grubs anywhere near the surface but it didn't stop them having fun :laugh:

Yes my lot wandered home with a ton on mud stuck to each of their feet and they didn't bother to wipe them before they went to bed :laugh: . That's all of my hard work mucking out on Saturday wasted!

Day 7 today and the candler I'd bought online hasn't arrived so I've attempted candling with the brightest light I had, the one on my mobile phone. The easiest to do were the Cream Legbars because of their pale coloured shells. I think there are definitely two fertile of those. Of the others, well it was a bit hit and miss, some I didn't have a clue, others were probably fertile. I think in total there are seven fertile eggs out of the eighteen which isn't too bad. I'll try again when my proper candler arrives. One of the Legbars was fantastically clear, I could definitely see a tiny chick the size of my little finger nail forming :wub: They'll probably both be boys :rolleyes: I was looking forward to seeing if the green egg was fertile but the shell is thicker than elephant hide and I couldn't tell. One of the white ones is so that's good.

Only fourteen days to go :pinkie:

Good news! I decided to have another bash at candling last night. I'd been scared by tales of exploding mouldy eggs so I thought I'd better try harder to determine what was and what wasn't growing. There was a huge difference from day 7 to day 8 which made it so much easier. I was right in initially saying only 2/6 of the Cream Legbars were fertile so I reluctantly admited defeat and removed the useless 4. Of the mixed batch of 12, it was still impossible to see what was in the green egg. I think it's fertile but I'm not 100% sure so that one stayed in. Of the other 11 I'm pretty sure 9 are fertile, the 2 that definitely aren't are the white eggs which is a shame. The blue one definitely is though! So basically I think I've got 11, possibly 12, fertile eggs in total which is just amazing :pinkie:

I'll leave them alone now until next weekend when I'll candle again to remove anything dead.

Chickens take 21 days to hatch so I should be a granny on Saturday 31st. Only 12 days to go :pinkie:

Here is an interesting link which shows what the chick looks like at each day of gestation. Not for the squeemish but just like any pregnant mother I like to see pictures of how my baby looks at each stage :laugh:

Here is an interesting link which shows what the chick looks like at each day of gestation. Not for the squeemish but just like any pregnant mother I like to see pictures of how my baby looks at each stage :laugh:

I was preparing myself to go :sick01: but instead I went :ohmy: and :mecry: and :wub:

I suspect I may be due my period :rolleyes: :blush:

Edited by dirtychicken