UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

The Chicken Thread.

phoebejo

Both your hens are stunning :wub:

I was quite content waiting for my house to arrive at the end of the month and then mooching about to find good breeders ( as well as the chap I'll hopefully get some Marans from)but after seeing all your beautiful birds......................I want them NOW :laugh:

It's quite surprising how limited we seem to be in Scotland for hen breeds, it seems to be quite a limited range, a lot of sites just seem to go on about Black Rocks which I think were developed quite near me in the Kinross area :unsure:

The guy with the Marans has French Marans and British ones, the Frenchies have feathering on their legs, but I read somewhere that you should steer clear of leg feathering if you lived in a wet climate as the feathers get clarty and make the bedding in the house damp...............what do you guys think ?

I'm now looking for some decent books on keeping hens, any recommendations ? I'd like a general looking after them book and a disease book.

• Replies 995
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I yam not amused :mad: 12 eggs have arrived :partytime: But 12 are still in the post somewhere :mad: They were posted yesterday using the very expensive Guaranteed Next Day Special Delivery service :mad: They should've been here by 1pm :mad: I can claim back a refund on the postage but that's not the fecking point :mad: If they don't turn up tomorrow the chances are they'll be ruined by spending too long in the post :mad:

The 12 that did arrive are so pretty :wub: A variety of colours, a blue egg, a green egg and a couple of white ones along with the bog standard brown. I have no idea what breeds will hatch from those so that'll be really exciting :pinkie: I'm giving the stray ones a chance to arrive tomorrow but regardless the incubator will have eggs in it tomorrow night.

"The Norfolk Coop" which is a self contained unit of raised housing and run.... the idea is that when I go away for the weekend with the dogs I can get the neighbours kids to open and close the door via the techie bit (basically a metal rod on the side so they don;t have to open the enclosure), and when I am home the rest of the time I can leave the enclosure door open into a bigger fenced off bit of the garden during the day.

The chickens will be ex-battery hens so no idea what model they will be.

Took the boys to a friend's to see what their reaction to hens was and they were more interested in eating the horse and goat poo in the field, so will have to get a bucket of that to scatter round for them on the day the chicks arrive!!!

My delightful dogs think chicken poo tastes wonderful!

Cream legbar eggs have arrived and will be going in the incubator tonight with the eggs that arrived yesterday. No sign of the wyandottes so somebody will be getting a strongly worded email and a demand for my money back. Still at least there are 18 wonderful little eggs full of hope. How I'll survive the three week wait I don't know!

Bummer about the Wyandottes :(

At least the others have arrived. how long will it be before you know how many will be viable ?............is there a way to tell :unsure: I've seen people using a candle but don't know if that just works in TV Land.

Buddyboy I'm at the same stage as you, my housing won't arrive untill the end of the month, and lord knows when I'll get my hands on some chooks.

I tried candling early but really wasn't sure what I was looking at :wacko: . I made another attempt at 15 days and it was really quite clear which contained chicks and which didn't - the little eggs looked full up with chick. Only one of ours didn't hatch and it wasn't fertile which was amazing for post delivered eggs. It supposed to be about a 50% hatch rate when theve been jiggled about on the road.

Good luck with your babies :)