UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

The Chicken Thread.

phoebejo

• Replies 995
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did you hatch them in an incubator or under a broody? Hybrids aren't known for their broodiness so I'm contemplating asking for an incubator for my birthday :rolleyes: We might raise our own meat birds :unsure:

I think hybrids make just as good broodies and mums as pure breeds although are not quite as tenatious hatching anything that's not moving as pure breeds seem to be :wacko: . My chicks were hatched under a broody speckledy who was a great mum. Incubators seem a bit too fiddly for me, adjusting temperatures, adding water, monitoring humitity, rolling the eggs - a broody does it all for you and it is lovely to see mum proudly leading her babies through the garden.

IMGP0847.jpg

We've been comtemplating raising meat birds - We're going to start with quail in spring.

Awwwwww the babies are gorgeous :wub: What are they? What did you do with the cockerels?

We were extremely lucky this time around we think we've got all girls (there's just one we are a bit unsure of purely because of the size in all other aspects it's a definate hen). We planned to keep any boys unless the neighbours complained or they fought, in that case we had homes for them on a nearby farm, eventually the boys will be sunday dinner though. The babies are a mixed bag of marans, black rock and a heinz 57 that has a bit of light sussex, a bit of silkie and a bit of buff orpington she's just started laying at 22 weeks.

Hi Everyone,

Gwyn is very right in saying consider an ex battery hen.

Gwyn once again did us a big favour and went to get our chooks, unfortunately it only happens normally twice a year, and this day had to be my birthday, which was already organised, so Gywn came to the rescue, as she always does.

Last Chance Animal rescue took thirty girls, and I took another six making my brood now ten. After slow introductions all are living very happily together, as I knew they would in time.

Henrietta is from my first rescue girls, and she is the boss, Winifred is next in line, then Wilma, and darling little Flo. Still haven’t got around to naming the others, as I am waiting for them to start looking a bit different than each other, in other words some feathers. Again, I am not worrying about that, as if you could see my first girls, they look wonderful, shiny feathers, dark red, clear eyes and they were in worse condition than my new girls.

The great news is that our Thirty Rescue girls have been shown lots of interest by the public, and they are wanting to rehome them, obviously all the proper home checks are done, just like our dogs and cats, because these girls are very special to us. So it is great news for the battery hen, as WE Last Chance are going to continue rescuing them, to either live within our rescue or to find new loving homes. I am over the moon to think we can help more.

I will try to remember to take some pictures of my girls this weekend.

Forgot to mention, are my girls friendly, too much so, they call for me, they want me to pick them up, they love to snuggle up in my hair, follow me everywhere when they are fully out in the whole garden, I work full time, so in large pen when am out. Adorable, friendly, chatty girls, I am there for hours just talking to them and watching them, keep being late for work and no one believes me. Will be continuing here on to rescue many, many more girls to come and spreading the word to everyone.

I LOVE THEM

Spread the word on these little darlings, all of them need our help.

Edited by age

I have chooks and 3 quacks. My chooks are approaching 5/6years old and we have lost some of them. Like has been said I think that the average age is about 6 years of course commercially most dont make anywhere near this age and are lucky to see 1 year old!!.

If anyone wants hens why not think rescue contact the Battery Hen Welfare Trust and rehome some ex bats. Its very rewarding these poor hens have never done real henny things, never dust bathed, never seen the sun or felt it on their bodies, they come out of the battery with pale large combs, some have few feathers and they look pitiful. After a few weeks they soon find their feet they still lay eggs and have a real zest for life.

Think rescue.

http://www.bhwt.org.uk/

Thanks for the link :flowers:

I am not able to have any now but in the future would love some chooks and 100 % want rescue ones

I sat out in the garden watching the chooks go to bed. I wanted to see who went where and figured if there were quite a few newbies in with the big girls I'd shift them all into the big house. Sooner than intended but they've been behaving so well. Thicko Valerie and nearly as thick Mrs Pants went to bed in the newbies house :wacko: A few of the newbies were in the big house so I retrieved Valerie & Pants and the remaining few and now everyone is sleeping in the big house. I lifted up the nest box lid to have a peek and saw Freya and Violet cuddled up to evil Pancake! So far so good. Will get up early so they don't spend too long awake and confined in the morning.

Fingers are being crossed!

We might raise our own meat birds :unsure:

I have every respect for people who raise their own meat (even though it's not something I would contemplate.....I'll stick with me fruit & veg) :wink: .

Much better for everyone to have compassionately & healthily raised meat (well, except the animal, but you know what I mean :rolleyes: )

We've been comtemplating raising meat birds - We're going to start with quail in spring.

Is there a particular reason for starting with quail, or just personal preference?

I have chooks and 3 quacks. My chooks are approaching 5/6years old and we have lost some of them. Like has been said I think that the average age is about 6 years of course commercially most dont make anywhere near this age and are lucky to see 1 year old!!.

If anyone wants hens why not think rescue contact the Battery Hen Welfare Trust and rehome some ex bats. Its very rewarding these poor hens have never done real henny things, never dust bathed, never seen the sun or felt it on their bodies, they come out of the battery with pale large combs, some have few feathers and they look pitiful. After a few weeks they soon find their feet they still lay eggs and have a real zest for life.

Think rescue.

http://www.bhwt.org.uk/

next time i visit my brother I shall take my camera and get some pics of his. They are not ex battery but they came from a local rescue but they are all boring brown and black and lay brown eggs :laugh: He started with 6 but sadly lost one. She was depressed and under the weather and wandered off across the fields where she met a fox. The remaining 5 get on great with the 3 rescue ducks and they all fight for the scraps in the morning :laugh: The daily visits to his little lake are mainly wild ducks with the occasional little group of canada geese who all seem rather bemused by the hens and ducks side by side at feeding time :laugh:

Much to my surprise the OH is up for keeping hens ! :elefant: which will make the whole process that much easier, sooooooooooooo, looks like we'll most certainly be getting hens in the spring :biggrin: , have changed my mind about the housing as we'd like to get a big breed, and after some research saw that bigger birds need slightly different housing, so will be getting one of these Westford and the panel fencing which will mean they can be safe while I'm not about but still be easy to move about onto new pasture. I did seriously think about ex-battery, we used to get them in every year at the City Farm I used to work at, but I've fallen in love with Orpingtons, the place that does the housing also has buff and blue Orpingtons, so I think thats what we'll be going for, it doesn't mean we wont be getting some rescues in later though :rolleyes:

I'm so excited about it :jumpy: have been in touch with one lot of people who unfortunatly won't have any Orp's at the time I'll be looking, which is a bit of a bummer as they are breeding a slightly smaller bird more like the original Orp, rather than some of the show strains which can have joint problems because of their size. Theres another place that will probably have Orp's at the right time, and they have gold lace Orp's which look absolutly stunning, I'm really restricted up here, there's not a huge amount of chook breeders, unless you want a Black Rock which seems to be very popular here.

How exciting Celeste, great big fluffy orpies wandering around :)

I have every respect for people who raise their own meat (even though it's not something I would contemplate.....I'll stick with me fruit & veg) :wink: .

Much better for everyone to have compassionately & healthily raised meat (well, except the animal, but you know what I mean :rolleyes: )

Is there a particular reason for starting with quail, or just personal preference?

I'm not sure that we could cope with the dispatching of chickens just yet, especially with having them as pets. Quail apparently are not very responsive to people so they wouldn't be pets as such. I'm a veggie but hubby and son eat meat and I have a huge issue with the way animals are raised for meat so really would like to know our food had had a nice life.

I'm not sure that we could cope with the dispatching of chickens just yet, especially with having them as pets. Quail apparently are not very responsive to people so they wouldn't be pets as such. I'm a veggie but hubby and son eat meat and I have a huge issue with the way animals are raised for meat so really would like to know our food had had a nice life.

The dispatching isn't pleasant thats for sure, I used to do the chickens at the farm when one was required for meat, once you get the hang of it it is quick , it's just doing it for the first time thats the big hurdle.............and saying all that...........I will be wimping out of doing anything like that this time and will keep my chooks till they die of old age :)

We used to have Quail at the farm too, odd little things, I could never understand why anyone would want to eat one though, they're so tiny........and rather cute :rolleyes: