UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

The Chicken Thread.

phoebejo

• Replies 995
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm back !.......oh my god.....oh my god......oh my god.

Stressed or what ! :ohmy:

Well, all the ladies are chilling in the coop at the mo.........just............feckin' men !........Ed had one little job to do, be the goalie and catch any hens that might escape between getting out of carry box and coop, the big balloon, lifted one side of the lid to pick up a bird, and didn't bother to shut the bloody lid again ! cue one Maran lady lose in the garden, Ed now decides he's bloody Daktari and knows all about catching hens, he corners it and of course it flaps up and over the wall into next doors garden!, luckily I can catch hens without putting the fear of god into them and managed to snaffle her before she went through a hedge and ended up in the stream..............whew !

Pics tomorrow, it's chucking it down with a vengence here.

Methinks you ought to clip a wing on each of them just incase :laugh: Not that that stops Eliza escaping if the fancy takes her, next door is only a hop, skip and a jump away via the barbeque wall and a handily placed tree :rolleyes: Thankfully she's only done it three times :rolleyes:

I can't wait to see your ladies :biggrin:

Still not heard back about the ex-batts. I've said I'll take 3 to go in Ms ChickenTikkas coop because it's empty at the moment. They need it more than my unborn chicks do at the moment :sad02: I'm going to build a brooder for the chicks :spudnikhardhat: :bigmartart:

A couple of pics

henhouse008.jpg

henhouse005.jpg

The second pic is Lola, tranny hen extrordinare

I did load up more but for some reason Photobucket hasn't stored em' :unsure:

I think Lola is going to be a bit of a headache, I've already had to put purple spray on her toe, she managed to make it bleed whilst attempting to bash her way through the weld mesh :wacko: she seems to have calmed down a bit now, but the bad news is one seems to have Scaly Leg :mad: which means they will all need doing, so it's off to the vets on Monday for some Frontline spray, luckily I use the spray anyway.

Wing clipping will be on the agenda tomorrow, and some de-lousing, I don't think they have any but it won't hurt to do them anyway

It would be lovely to do ex batts one day, hope the people get in touch soon.

I think a broody unit might be on the cards for me too next year :rolleyes: , although the place I got the hens from also make their own housing and it was of excellent quality and very cheap compared to what I bought.

Surgical spirit & vaseline is good for scaley leg mite. Fill a jam jar with surgical spirit, dunk each leg in turn and swill it around, dry the leg off and cover it in vaseline. Suffocates the little buggers.

How old are they? Lola looks a lot older than the one at the front. I love her floppy comb :wub:

Lola is possibly 4 weeks older ( 30 weeks), I was a bit concerned she was a he (hence the name) she is big, and even has rudimentary spurs, but all her feathering is rounded, no pointed c*** feathers at all.

LOL at the bleeping of the C word LOL

Edited by celeste

A couple of pics

henhouse008.jpg

henhouse005.jpg

The second pic is Lola, tranny hen extrordinare

I did load up more but for some reason Photobucket hasn't stored em' :unsure:

I think Lola is going to be a bit of a headache, I've already had to put purple spray on her toe, she managed to make it bleed whilst attempting to bash her way through the weld mesh :wacko: she seems to have calmed down a bit now, but the bad news is one seems to have Scaly Leg :mad: which means they will all need doing, so it's off to the vets on Monday for some Frontline spray, luckily I use the spray anyway.

They are lovely though :wub:

I'm pooped! We've been re-arranging the garden so that we can sow grass seed on the rest of the bare bits. This has involved moving the big coop from near the house to the top of the garden. It now faces the other way too. This has caused and no doubt will continue to cause much confusion amongst the chooky numbskulls :biglaugh: Freya needed to lay and has already been helped four times back into her coop :rolleyes: She then proceeded to demonstrate extra thickness by wandering back and forth across a patch of land that used to have the omlet netting on it which she used to jump over. There was still a bit of netting next to it and she kept leaping over it then walking back looking confused to do it again :laugh:

This was all after I'd spent an hour or so watching everyone free ranging together. Quite a few times the ladies have escaped into the chicks section so we knew on the whole they'd probably be ok but now it's permanent, if the chicks are out then they'll be out with the ladies but I've still got the option of keeping them in their run.

The chicks are enjoying all the new benefits of sharing a garden with the ladies. This includes their tyre dust bath which I've moved to under a bush and they love it! Will have to take pics later :biggrin:

I'm pooped! We've been re-arranging the garden so that we can sow grass seed on the rest of the bare bits. This has involved moving the big coop from near the house to the top of the garden. It now faces the other way too. This has caused and no doubt will continue to cause much confusion amongst the chooky numbskulls :biglaugh: Freya needed to lay and has already been helped four times back into her coop :rolleyes: She then proceeded to demonstrate extra thickness by wandering back and forth across a patch of land that used to have the omlet netting on it which she used to jump over. There was still a bit of netting next to it and she kept leaping over it then walking back looking confused to do it again :laugh:

:laugh: brilliant, they're worth it for the comedy factor alone

Three eggs this morning

Flaming idiots :grrr: Just went out to close the pop hole only to find all 10 ladies in a huddle on the ground exactly in the same spot their coop used to be :rolleyes: I stood at the other end of the garden next to their coop and called them. A few wandered aimlessly over but everytime I shoved one in it'd run out again screaming :rolleyes: :laugh: FFS it's the same bloody coop!. Ended up closing all the doors and shoving them in one by one. Valerie & Violet ran around the garden as if I was about to murder them :rolleyes:

My chickens will not be enrolling with Mensa.

Flaming idiots :grrr: Just went out to close the pop hole only to find all 10 ladies in a huddle on the ground exactly in the same spot their coop used to be :rolleyes: I stood at the other end of the garden next to their coop and called them. A few wandered aimlessly over but everytime I shoved one in it'd run out again screaming :rolleyes: :laugh: FFS it's the same bloody coop!. Ended up closing all the doors and shoving them in one by one. Valerie & Violet ran around the garden as if I was about to murder them :rolleyes:

My chickens will not be enrolling with Mensa.

:biglaugh: :biglaugh:

:laugh: ........nice but dim :laugh:

Mine put themselves to bed tonight :wub:

Mind, I did have them up at 6.30 :rolleyes: which they felt was far to early, and remained firmly in the coop, I peeked in and they were all perching with their wee heads all snugged into themselves :wub: . They were lucky, I had woken up at 5.30 and had to make myself stay in bed :rolleyes:

I have a few more names too, the Speckled Sussex, who's at the front of the group shot is called Caroline, after my friend, they are both wee and clever.

The big Light Sussex is now Kelly, after my friend ( Griff on here) both big gobby birds :D

So there's one (small Maran) that I need a name for, toying with either Kirsty ( niece who lives in America) or Violet, just because I quite like the name.