UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

All Those Who Live Alone

Kathyw

When we were wee, Mum and Dad were out for the evening ( getting pished) and Terri (Ailsas Mum)my brother Sandy and myself were watching the film The Birds, film finished and I was ordered (bullied) to bed, Terri went into the room, put the light on, and screamed at the top of her lungs, there, sitting on the chest of drawers was a ruddy big pigeon, poor thing flapped it's way round the room with Terri shrieking the whole time, it did eventually fly out the window again, and Terri did calm down, but that was bloody funny :laugh:

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

When we were wee, Mum and Dad were out for the evening ( getting pished) and Terri (Ailsas Mum)my brother Sandy and myself were watching the film The Birds, film finished and I was ordered (bullied) to bed, Terri went into the room, put the light on, and screamed at the top of her lungs, there, sitting on the chest of drawers was a ruddy big pigeon, poor thing flapped it's way round the room with Terri shrieking the whole time, it did eventually fly out the window again, and Terri did calm down, but that was bloody funny :laugh:

:laugh: :laugh:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Poor Terri.

When I was about 15/16 I used to go to a youth club and a few of the crowd met at my house. If my Mum and Dad were out and Terry was still at work I would be sitting outside the house.

One of the girls asked me why and before I could say anything Valerie said 'there is a ghost in the house'.

We made up this story about a woman who lived in the house during the first world war. She had a son who lost a leg in WW1 and had a wooden leg. When he died she buried him in the coal cupboard and every night his ghost would come out and tap along the hallway.

They being silly girls wanted to witness this so me and Valerie ran back to my house. Terry had come home from work and one of his friends was waiting for him. We told Terry what we had said. He hid in the old coal cupboard (by then a nice clean closet). When they turned up we were all just sitting there and suddenly we heard the cupboard door open and a tap tap along the hallway.

It was Terry with a billiard cue. He went up one side of the hallway and down the other.

As he came closer to the livingroom door the fear level was so high.

As the door opened I fainted clean away and I knew it was Terry -the fear just overtook me. :laugh:

Edited by Kathyw

We do have a spooky thing at the bottom of the garden though. If I have to check on the Refuge lot late at night it sometimes creeps up and scares the cr*p out of me :wacko:

what kind of spooky thing? I'm now wondering if I've got a spooky thing I don't know about :glare:

I lived alone for many years and was never afraid. I've been frightened in certain houses but wouldn't live somewhere that made me nervous. [i slept very well at Hellys despite her telling me about the resident ghost]

I'm not afraid in this house even though the dogs are crap and have slept through 3 burglaries [Fooface only barked when the police came, the others not at all :rolleyes: ]

I say I'm not afraid but if the house is totally empty of humans I do tend to sleep with some lights on. All the interior doors are left open though.

I struggle in hotels but thats more about fire than anything else and when I stayed at the Adelphi in Liverpool few months back, Melf and her hubby rang me up and scared me shitless talking about all the ghosts there. I slept with all the lights on and my head buried under the blankets. :laugh: barstewards :angry:

I used to love living on my own, i had my dog so i was not scared unless there was a thunderstorm, which i'm terrified of, 2 houses that i have lived in have been struck by lightning, a flat i lived in, in Germany, the tree outside my flat was struck and when i moved in this house the lamppost outside got struck.

I love being on my own - just not after dark.

I could never live anywhere where there are no street lights.

When I stayed down the caravan on my own (Ray was working) one of the other people used to park their car at the side of our caravan so it seemed as if Ray was there.

I would take the dogs out for a long walk in the late afternoon, round the site about 10ish and then settle down for a night of videos.

At dawn I would take the dogs on the cliffs, give them breakfast and then go to bed in the daylight.

Strange thing is if there is another human being in the house, even a tiny baby (when I have babysat for a weekend) I have no fears whatsoever. A baby or small child couldn't protect me but I feel no fear - only when totally alone.

Edited by Kathyw

I don't think I'd like to be here on my own without the dogs, even though the risk of crime is minimal. Just got used to having other beings there, I suppose. It still feels strange without a male puli as a watchdog, as apart from one month between Mojo and Humphrey I had one around for 15 yrs. Polly is going a bit deaf, so I'm really glad to have Wispa's sharp hearing and thunderous bark.

My scariest moment at night was when I was surrounded by OH, 2 dogs and a gang of cats. I woke in the small hours to hear someone quietly playing scales on the small harp which PC had at the time and was learning. At first I thought it was PC practising, but then turned to find him next to me. All cats and dogs were sleeping peacefully, and I knew no musical burglar could be involved as they wouldn't have got past the pulis. I thought it must be a friendly ghost, as there was no bad vibe or chilly feeling. Still surreal and scary, and it took me some effort to creep to the stairs and look down into the living room. There was the harp, being played by ...

a big crane fly, skittering up and down the strings :laugh:

I've sort of lived alone for the last 6 years with OH working away Mon-Fri.

Same here. I like my own company and I've asked mine if he really, really needs to come home at weekends but he insists :rolleyes:

I'm not nervous but I do check I've locked everything up properly before I go to bed and I'm away to the land of nod in a minute. I doubt the two lazy pointies would even stir if someone came in (Whuppety Jake just raises an eyebrow and looks at me if a noise manages to break through his sleep) and OH is dead to the world when he's sleeping anyway. Twice in the past I've heard a noise, jumped out of bed and rushed out of the house to confront a) the milkman, who was bent down tying his laces when I thought he was some norty person stealing my alloys, and b) two blokes trying to force a downstairs window of next door's house.

I don't know if I'd feel the same if I'd been burgled three times like Melp though, that must be horrible :GroupHug:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Poor Terri.

When I was about 15/16 I used to go to a youth club and a few of the crowd met at my house. If my Mum and Dad were out and Terry was still at work I would be sitting outside the house.

One of the girls asked me why and before I could say anything Valerie said 'there is a ghost in the house'.

We made up this story about a woman who lived in the house during the first world war. She had a son who lost a leg in WW1 and had a wooden leg. When he died she buried him in the coal cupboard and every night his ghost would come out and tap along the hallway.

They being silly girls wanted to witness this so me and Valerie ran back to my house. Terry had come home from work and one of his friends was waiting for him. We told Terry what we had said. He hid in the old coal cupboard (by then a nice clean closet). When they turned up we were all just sitting there and suddenly we heard the cupboard door open and a tap tap along the hallway.

It was Terry with a billiard cue. He went up one side of the hallway and down the other.

As he came closer to the livingroom door the fear level was so high.

As the door opened I fainted clean away and I knew it was Terry -the fear just overtook me. :laugh:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

We were always making up spooky stories about deralict houses in our backgreen, amazes me that we were all so gullible, Susan and I used to have great fun in later life telling her son the same stories :laugh: , and he believed them :laugh: ooooo, we're right mean :laugh:

I dont mind it in the day but I hate it at night but I got used to it after a while.

The first house I rented in Tarporley a few years ago was surround by fields and right next to a main road and I have a neighbour to one side of me, but I still got the creeps being in there. I always felt I was being watched. :unsure:

My uncle passed away a few years ago, and my cousin's year old baby stares at his picture on the wall and smiles and gurgles and waves at it sometimes. Now that is quite scary! x

After the Wiccs haunted mansion we went to a few years ago I am definitely convinced there is something there :mellow:

I live alone (well, with my 2 dogs) and I am very rarely scared.

When I was married, I was always afraid if my OH was working away from home and I was alone in the house.

Since I got divorced & got my own house I've never been frightened.

It would be a different story if I didn't have dogs, but then, my whole life would be a different story if I didn't have dogs.

I've lived alone for years and it's never occured to me to be scared :unsure: I don't even check the doors at night regularly.I do have the Ds sleeping upstairs with me which is reassuring but have windows wide open most of the year.I have a phone in the bedroom and a torch in my bedside table with batteries too - although that's more because the house was flooded long before I moved in.The only thing I regularly check is that the Ds leads and collars are by the front door with my keys "just in case".