UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Bbc Could Drop Crufts Over Unhealthy Breeds

merledogs

anybody on here good at setting up a petition? I know the NR10 Downingstreet one,but this one is closed until the return of our PM,the first of september , but in the time being ,maybe one on this site?

http://www.ipetitions.com/start-petition/

my english isnt too bad ,but for something official like this,I'd rather leave it to a more 'experienced' person :)

sorry ,I forgot to please and thank you ,it's just I can't sleep now ,my head cant comprehend it :(

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cav's arent the only toy dog that have SM (as you guessed it i know a bit about this subject) it's slowly becoming known as a toy dog problem. the reason that its only been known recently is due to people like Carol not taking crap from the cav breeders.

they didn't want to know and certainly didn't want anyone else to find out. luckily there is alot of work going on to help the cav's.

i think the kc need to take responsibility for the good name they are supposed to have. the breed standards are a joke and a sick one at that.

I can't get my head around why it is illegal for a vet (or anyone else) to dock a non-working puppy, yet they can legally kill a perfectly healthy pup because it doesn't conform to a certain look :(

That 'look' is set by the KC, which makes them culpable. If the KC changed the breed standards and changed the rules for breeders which required them to do certain health tests and then banned dogs from showing/breeding which had those illnesses/diseases, then that would be a start.

I really hope there is outrage now and that the KC, instead of criticising the producers of the programme, start to set their own house in order. Somehow I doubt it though.

I can't get my head around why it is illegal for a vet (or anyone else) to dock a non-working puppy, yet they can legally kill a perfectly healthy pup because it doesn't conform to a certain look :(

Nice to hear though, that "all these new vets who see all in black and white" aren't so happy about killing perfectly healthy puppies! :)

The KC effectively limit the amount of litters a bitch can have by resticting the breeding age and amount of litters that can be registered, so why can't they also restrict the amount of litters that can be registered to a stud dog during it's life, oh no silly me. of course the owners of top dogs make huge amounts of money from stud fees so that wouldn't work !!!

You can't really bring puppy farmers etc. into the equation be cause this was a programme about so called top responsible show breeders, puppy farm dogs can't be shown at Crufts, and at least we all know the puppy farmers don't care about the health and welfare of the dogs they are open to just seeing a huge profit.

There are a few very good breeders about who are trying to improve their dogs health, they aren't the big show wiiners, health is far more important to them then comformation, and it has absolutely nothing to dowith the KC, they do it for the good of their own dogs.

With regards to the comparison with Hitler, did the program not say that the KC started out as a eugenics society ?

Yes it did Ingrid.

I emailed the BBC last night and thanked them for the investigation and the showing of this programme and asking if there is to be a follow up in a year or so to see if the kc had done anything to rectify the situation.

I also email the kc saying that their reputation was in shreds as far as I was concerned.

Being a member of an association usually meant you were qualified and compedent in that field -the kc has ben shown to be neither, in fact shown to be inept and contributing to harmful practises.

I wonder if I will get a reply.

Vivian that is a brilliant idea. Set it up and email to everyone.

Edited by Kathyw

I've not seen it yet, another one in Scotland and I have cable, I'm not sure I want to see it now :mecry: . Ingrid with regard to the puppy farm dogs not being shown, I know some dogs that have come from puppy farms and they are registered with the kc, would that not mean that they can be shown at kc shows and possibly even win one.

Terri

Im wondering if owners of say the puppies sired by the cav with known SM cant now sue. She has knowingly sold a service which she knows to be defective and therefore not fit for the purpose it is supposed to do.

Its also a great shame these 'defective' puppies, such as ridgeless ridgies or white boxers couldnt just be handed over to breed rescue to rehome as they dont usually come with papers or ID anyway.

I haven't cried like that in a long long time. How those people can sleep at night. This morning in my office people who usually have no interest in dogs have been speaking of it, lets hope that is an indication that finally the general public are aware of what is going on.

That cav woman who knowingly bred from her dog is a disgrace.

Edited by JACKYSIAN

Too much to quote or reply to, but of course I agree with a lot (if not everything) of what has already been said. I was only able to watch this because I'm staying at my mum's (and in Holland people have about 200 channels on their basic telly package!), and I was crying for the poor little cavs writhing and crying in pain, and wanted to throttle both the KC muppets and those breeders. If you watched who won though, you can understand why there is a ridiculous amount of inbreeding: Mr A let Mr B's dog win at one show, so Mr B let Mr Ã's dog win at the next. It's all about a small cliquey incrowd doing eachother favours - these breeders don't give a monkey's about dogs - and as far as I'm concerned, neither does the KC. They're all a bunch of right up their own @rse t0ssers, who want to keep feeding into their inflated egoes and those of their chums. KC registration? I was amazed to hear that white german shepherds were some of the dogs that are/were being killed because they were undesirable of the breed, yet one of my neighbours bought a white german shepherd (on purpose) from an ad in the newspaper, got it with all sorts of paperwork, and was told that he could have his dog KC registered for a fee of about GBP25! That tells you how much KC registration is worth - as much as anyone willing to hand over 25 quid to have a piece of paper stamped :mad:

I have to say I was pleasantly surprised by the very clear stance of the RSPCA - didn't expect that of them.

What I was wondering is how the situation in this country compares to other countries; is Britain a prime example of how it all goes wrong or are other western european countries just as bad?

Lazydaisy - I honestly fail to see how you could possibly be accused of having any responsibility for the sorry state of affairs when it comes to labs, when all you do is rehoming rescue labs and thus picking up the pieces for someone else :flowers:

This whole docu has done nothing but reinforced my beliefs that the only good breeder is one that retires (after seeing this how can you, as a breeder, honestly believe that you will be able to produce a litter of healthy pups? The genes do not even seem to be there anymore!), that when animals and egoes/money are involved the animal will lose out ALWAYS, that the KC is a bunch of stuck up t0ssers who are in it for nothing but their own ego - they would have been chairs of the choo choo train club if they had figured that that would have yielded more street cred - and that big dog shows are nothing but a place where even more money and ego boosting are made over the backs of these poor mutated animals :mad: :(

What with 8000 heatlhy dogs being put to sleep every year and the shocking figures with regards to the health status of so many breeds, surely the only reasonable conclusion would be to stop breeding altogether? Dogs aren't going to die out as a species overnight, but the breeders themselves are working hard to ensure that "their"breed will die a slow and painful death within the next 50 years or so. If you love dogs for the species that they are you will love a mongrel just as much, wouldn't you?

That's my opinion anyway and I stick by it!

There's going to be something on The Wright Stuff this morning

That ridgeback woman :angry: :angry: :angry: , she even had the cheek to say she'd rather have a ridgeless puppy pts rather than it landed in the hands of dogfighters........eh? how many Ridges have you heard of involved in fighting. The Cav woman who declared she wouldn't have any of her dogs given an MRI scan, could that be because it would cost her a grand ? and how much does she make from one litter ? say if there's a litter of 6, she sells them at, what? about 450 each?, nice little earner, why would she eat into her profits by bothering to make sure the poor dogs will be healthy. :angry:

I also found the Boxer who was having a fit very disturbing, not so much the fit (that was bad enough) but the way the owners handled the situation :( I hope now someone tells them shouting, lying on top off the dog and putting on bright lights isn't the way to help.

ridgebacks say it all really they are bred to a standard of deformity not quality

why didnt they when they realised this quirk was a deformity just change the breeds name i think Rhodesian flatback has a ring to it

but no its easier to hide away and cull anything that might be remotely healthy :mad:

and the neo mastiff so heavy his skin couldnt cope with his weight upon it covered in callouses is that really the proud brave athletic hound its breed description refers to, is it feck these people ought to be ashamed of themselves

tbh there wasnt much on there that most people involved in the rescue of the breeds mentioned didnt already know but i do hope it serves to educate joe bloggs who think the kc promote quality.

Too much to quote or reply to, but of course I agree with a lot (if not everything) of what has already been said. I was only able to watch this because I'm staying at my mum's (and in Holland people have about 200 channels on their basic telly package!), and I was crying for the poor little cavs writhing and crying in pain, and wanted to throttle both the KC muppets and those breeders. If you watched who won though, you can understand why there is a ridiculous amount of inbreeding: Mr A let Mr B's dog win at one show, so Mr B let Mr Ã's dog win at the next. It's all about a small cliquey incrowd doing eachother favours - these breeders don't give a monkey's about dogs - and as far as I'm concerned, neither does the KC. They're all a bunch of right up their own @rse t0ssers, who want to keep feeding into their inflated egoes and those of their chums. KC registration? I was amazed to hear that white german shepherds were some of the dogs that are/were being killed because they were undesirable of the breed, yet one of my neighbours bought a white german shepherd (on purpose) from an ad in the newspaper, got it with all sorts of paperwork, and was told that he could have his dog KC registered for a fee of about GBP25! That tells you how much KC registration is worth - as much as anyone willing to hand over 25 quid to have a piece of paper stamped :mad:

I have to say I was pleasantly surprised by the very clear stance of the RSPCA - didn't expect that of them.

What I was wondering is how the situation in this country compares to other countries; is Britain a prime example of how it all goes wrong or are other western european countries just as bad?

Lazydaisy - I honestly fail to see how you could possibly be accused of having any responsibility for the sorry state of affairs when it comes to labs, when all you do is rehoming rescue labs and thus picking up the pieces for someone else :flowers:

This whole docu has done nothing but reinforced my beliefs that the only good breeder is one that retires (after seeing this how can you, as a breeder, honestly believe that you will be able to produce a litter of healthy pups? The genes do not even seem to be there anymore!), that when animals and egoes/money are involved the animal will lose out ALWAYS, that the KC is a bunch of stuck up t0ssers who are in it for nothing but their own ego - they would have been chairs of the choo choo train club if they had figured that that would have yielded more street cred - and that big dog shows are nothing but a place where even more money and ego boosting are made over the backs of these poor mutated animals :mad: :(

What with 8000 heatlhy dogs being put to sleep every year and the shocking figures with regards to the health status of so many breeds, surely the only reasonable conclusion would be to stop breeding altogether? Dogs aren't going to die out as a species overnight, but the breeders themselves are working hard to ensure that "their"breed will die a slow and painful death within the next 50 years or so. If you love dogs for the species that they are you will love a mongrel just as much, wouldn't you?

That's my opinion anyway and I stick by it!

I agree with your whole post Billy - the bit I highlighted is what I would like to see done now.

If the kc were to truly take responsibility then stop all breeding for a set amount of years and then every dog to be tested genetically and only allow to breed under license.

The large sentence - says it all to me.

I like the idea Helly of all the owners of pups from that brain challenged woman's cavi sue her and win large amounts of dosh - that should get rid of lots of the bad breeders.

We did laugh though at the kc people when coming to the parlimentary hearing - laughing and addressing the reporters by name, acting all jolly and confident - you just knew they were very worried.

The kv top morons reminded me of this government......

They know there is different types of sickness prevelant throughout society and spend lots of dosh on appearances )ie olymlics etc) eyt do nothing to cure what ails.