UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Bbc Could Drop Crufts Over Unhealthy Breeds

merledogs

Does this type of thing go on in the cat world as well.

The Siamese cats have changed with a more triangular face. The Persians have a more pushed in face as well (ultra). There are breeders of Old Type Siamese as well though and open faced Persians which I think have Ragdolls in them.

As for in breeding, I have seen pedigrees for Siberians on the website where father has been bred to daughter and has his own great grandmother bred to grandson or something. One name appeared several times in the pedigree for kittens where it should only appear once.

My pedigree lump of a cat has 0% in breeding and his breeder is very open on her site about when her cats have had their routine tests and the results. (one is HCM and can't remember the other test).

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know that there is an average in dogs - there certainly isn't in people. All Mark's mother's family are afflicted with some degree of narcolepsy, his mother developed petit mal seizures (which mostly involve a bad headache, staring into space and a sense of being disconnected) when she was over 50. Yet they were all very surprised when he started getting grand mal seizures (which is more like what the boxer had, very dramatic).

I am not sure that you would necessarily notice narcolepsy in a dog, if it was fairly minor, you'd probably just think he was having a nap, he wouldn't be able to explain that he was trapped by sleep and unable to get out of it. You might not even notice petit mal seizures unless you knew what you were looking for.

I am told that petit mal is actually more unpleasant for the sufferer than grand mal: grand mal looks awful, but the sufferer is usually well out of it, whereas petit mal is a really horrible feeling that leaves you feeling really sick, but is a lot less noticeable to observers.

Most dogs if they are going to have epilepsy, develope it before 4 years, they can get it later but it's pretty rare.

The narcolepsy you describe is very like whats described in Borders, they freeze and stare off into space, my friend thinks her Border, Bruce, might be suffering from it, and he does go into a wee world of his own for a minuite when you can't snap him out of it.

One of my nephews suffers from petit mal, I never realised it would be like that :(

When my Bridge lad Louie started to have fits they were a lot worse than the Boxer that was shown, what they didn't show with the Boxer, is how distressed the dog can be afterwards, which to my mind was worse than the actual fit.

and for those that missed it or want to watch it again,it's also on youtube.com

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=-1LyjlX4Mp8

its in 6 parts and you can find part2-6 on your right hand in the list :)

my mind is still in turmoil, and to think that I also played a part in it by wanting small doggies :blush02: :( :mecry: I promise from now on I will look for something more natural in our next dog(s)

I've just watched the Boxer fitting and I think it was Ange that asked some questions about the severity of the seizure and the owners methods of dealing with it.

It was pretty much as George fits although George can do some spectacular acrobatics going into the fit. I do stay with him throughout as the Boxer's owners did, I talk to him and keep my hands on him tho I don't restraint him. It is often times necessary to stop him hurting himself i.e banging his head against the wall or even falling down the stairs. Lights on or off I would think make no difference. I don't know if George is aware thro his seizure but I talk constantly to reassure him just in case. I didn't really see anything that the Boxers owners did that was too wrong.

Sorry this is off-topic but I wanted to answer earlier but couldn't as I hadn't seen the relevant part of the programme :flowers:

I've just watched the Boxer fitting and I think it was Ange that asked some questions about the severity of the seizure and the owners methods of dealing with it.

It was pretty much as George fits although George can do some spectacular acrobatics going into the fit. I do stay with him throughout as the Boxer's owners did, I talk to him and keep my hands on him tho I don't restraint him. It is often times necessary to stop him hurting himself i.e banging his head against the wall or even falling down the stairs. Lights on or off I would think make no difference. I don't know if George is aware thro his seizure but I talk constantly to reassure him just in case. I didn't really see anything that the Boxers owners did that was too wrong.

Sorry this is off-topic but I wanted to answer earlier but couldn't as I hadn't seen the relevant part of the programme :flowers:

Thanks Marion, it was me that asked about the severity :flowers: I'm not sure if I mentioned how the owners dealt with it, but have read others commenting on it. I did presume they lay on the dog to stop him moving and hurting himself but wasn't sure whether that was helpful or not for the dog!

it got me thinking,could we/somebody not start an independant dog breed registration group? as an alternative to the Kennel Club? ofcourse non-profit or all profits going to good dog causes

does anybody here think it would be possible?

I think if anyone was going to start a new dog breed register it should be the good breeders tbh - I know I haven't got a clue about breeding other than what I have read. There are already other registration groups but they're rubbish, they're for the dogs that can't even be KC registered.

How would you determine who could be allowed to register with your new group? I think only very good and experienced breeders would know what was in/out?

I think the best bet would be for the KC to "tighten up" what it allows to be KC registered and make sure its accredited breeder scheme actually does what it should, which I don't believe it does at the moment if puppy farmers have managed to get on :rolleyes: , and separate the good from the bad.

Although you would still have to deal with the puppy buyers that don't do their research/buy from the first litter they see/buy out of pity from bad breeders without thinking of the wider consequences/wouldn't be allowed to buy/adopt from a good breeder/rescue. Not sure what the answer is for those :(