UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Frighteneing Experience

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi,

I dont have time to respond to all this and it is getting very "off topic".

"dominant" isnt a word i use as it is not measureable in any way - one person saying "dominant" could mean something completely different to another perhaps more, or less experienced person. if you want more info on this i can give links but later on as i'm busy!

there seems to be an awful lot of "opinions" hurled at me simply because i'm new, and advocate clear responsible practices.

of course i reccommend my behaviourist, where i think its appropriate because there are so many awful ones and i know she is good, not expensive and will always be there for backup. it is only like you giving your own advice and then reccommending someone gets "one to one" advice. i go on my experience and of course i am going to know more about some things than others !! at the moment i have an aggressive foster dog here for me to assess her sooo all my learning regarding this is at the forefront of my mind. playful lead biting is a world apart from focussed aggression - i go on what the OP writes.

Claire.

Hi,

personally i would not get a muzzle or headcollar for her until you have spoken to a behaviourist. in some cases muzzles can make aggression worse and they also do not stop the dog doing the behaviour.

I would like to know what evidence you have which leads you to beleive this. In my experience it is dogs with docked tails or cropped ears that find it harder to communicate with other dogs, even in some cases solid black dogs such as black Labs. However this doesn't tend to lead directly to agression from the dog, rather aggression towards it from other dogs who misread the signals.

nowt to do with this - RR's are less able to communicate which causes issues BOTH ways.

Claire.

Hi Fenella,

Just to say that haltis work for a lot of dogs, but if yours can't get on with one, consider one of the anti-pull harnesses. Worked for a very stubborn extreme puller I used to have, who was also a lead-cruncher. He crunched me as well as the lead, and it certainly wasn't dominance, it was panic. Got him sorted in the end, with much patience, and he became an excellent companion.

Some dogs are a lot more complex than some of the behaviourists would have us think. :)

I use a harness already and she works/walks really well with it on-and is definately getting much better at not pulling so much. If she starts to pull i say-WAIT-and stop and she stops and then is only allowd to walk on when i say so. Sometimes i have to do it 3 or 4 times before she will walk without pulling and sometimes less. But i am having to do it less and less each day. The lead biting has only started in the last couple of days-actually-while my son has been with me! Maybe he is the key!

You know it doesnt matter what the nature of a dog is or the breed.

What does matter is that you only have the right nature and breed for you and your family.

Ridgies are called Lion dogs in Africa because they stop your livestock being left in trees by big cats. Of course they are no more aggresive than any other dog. They just deal with things in a sensible manner suitable for the mind of a ridgie.

Which area is the rescue in ? there seems to be about 3 with the same name.It may be useful to say what area the dog came from because anyone on here could have a contact number to get hold of someone quickly

Sounds like you've had a crap day :(

I too would go to a behaviourist, but whatever you do check the actual qualifications they have got - not that they just say they're qualified, and check out where they got the qualification from and whether they're part of an association :flowers: There's an awful lot of quacks out there.

If you're anywhere near Lincoln - I'd recommend contacting Prof Daniel Mills Lincoln Uni

I don't know what kind of harness you are using, but have you checked that it does not hurt her when she pulls. Some harness can rub under the legs and on a short coated dog it can cause a raw area.

If she isn't used to a harness, she could panic at feeling restricted and not understanding what is happening.

Her write up on the rescue website described her as 'nice natured', so this behaviour would not appear to have been shown previously.

You may also need to get her used to a head collar and/or muzzle. You should get a Baskerville type muzzle, which allows her to pant, eat and drink, while wearing it.

No, it won't stop the 'behaviour' but it will stop her damaging anybody until you can help from someone on the spot, who can assess the dog properly.

Hopefully the rescue will be able to help you.

I use a harness already and she works/walks really well with it on-and is definately getting much better at not pulling so much. If she starts to pull i say-WAIT-and stop and she stops and then is only allowd to walk on when i say so. Sometimes i have to do it 3 or 4 times before she will walk without pulling and sometimes less. But i am having to do it less and less each day. The lead biting has only started in the last couple of days-actually-while my son has been with me! Maybe he is the key!

Has she got a chain lead or a leather one ?

It may be your son has been playing with her. She wont grab a chain one if she is just playing

.. in case anyone missed it, this isn't a pure ridgeback, it's actually a x lab x greyhound? So the behaviour, if it is related to breed, could be ridgeback, but it might just as well be greyhound or lab ..?

If she only does it when Fenella's son is about, that does sound like it might be a useful insight.

Sounds like Trallwm farm might be onto it, perhaps your son has been playing with her with the lead? Might be worth asking her.

Off topic I know, but I'd still love to hear why summersun thinks RR's can't communicate as well as other dogs?

in case anyone missed it, this isn't a pure ridgeback, it's actually a x lab x greyhound?

My thoughts exactly, which just goes to show that with these prejudices people always focus on the breed they think they know is aggressive.

She is really nice natured! Usually! Her leads are nylon-and her pull toy is nylon so thats going in the cupboard! Just had a phone call from the rescue who are going to come round tomorrow and see whats what-I am not giving up on her. Now i have recovered and calmed down i am determined to give this another go. I have left messages with 2 behaviourists. Will take her out again before i go to work and try a more firm approach if she tries anything again. Will keep everyone posted.

Well done, it's lovely to hear you are willing to work with her to get through this, rather than sending her back. I know from experience it's not easy when things like this happen with a new rescue dog, and must be even more difficult being a first time owner. So many people give up after even the smallest hiccup so I wish we had more people like you adopting dogs, who care enough about them to stick with them even through bigger issues. Good luck with her!

only just catching up with this and firstly a big :GroupHug: to you.

Getting to know your new dog and he you is a trial and error time, you both have to find the best and worst in each other, not to mention, what is and isnt acceptable.

Can you combine all the ideas given, a halti/harness used with a chain lead and a firm "no" if the lead chewing is attempted as it will hopefully nip the habit as it starts.

Dogs are assessed whilst in rescues but behaviours can and often do change when they are settled and confident with their new families, the way forward for you and your dog is to work together to over come the problems taking on board advice from the rescue.

Contrary to what was said earlier in the thread, taking your dog back and asking for a "refund" is not how it generally works, donations are given for the rescue to continue its work, they dont sell dogs on a "be happy or return with a full refund" basis and you will find they will be happy to help you and your dog over come any issues to ensure a happy homing, rather than have you all upset by the dog being returned.

Thant wasnt said in any sarky fashion by the way :flowers:

Good luck, please do keep us all updated on your progress :)

She is really nice natured! Usually! Her leads are nylon-and her pull toy is nylon so thats going in the cupboard! Just had a phone call from the rescue who are going to come round tomorrow and see whats what-I am not giving up on her. Now i have recovered and calmed down i am determined to give this another go. I have left messages with 2 behaviourists. Will take her out again before i go to work and try a more firm approach if she tries anything again. Will keep everyone posted.

That all sounds like a very positive way forward. Good luck :GroupHug:

Marion

That sounds fab :GroupHug: can we have pictures of her please? :wub: