UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Frighteneing Experience

murtle - could you explain your comment ?

reikiange - then why send it out to a "new" home without saying anything ?

cycas - it is responsible not alarmist, the dog has already attacked her and most definately could attack others.

ridgebacks are a breed which are genetically more aggressive than "your avg breed" this is NOT "deed not breed" this is genetic fact.

this does not sound like the dog was "tugging playfully at the lead" (or her arm) and lead pulling is rewarding in itself and doesnt have anything to do with "dominance".

i am an experienced rescuer and reasonably experienced in dog behaviour too - experienced enough to know that an inexperienced owner needs help in person asap. and to keep her and the dog safe - dont put leads near her they obviously trigger it, and dont put her in situations where she's got the opportunity to get loose.

claire.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i'm shocked they have sent a dog like this to a "new" home

A lot of times, as others have said, behavior issues that the dog might have don't show in rescue. It's likely that the rescue had never seen this behaviour.

ridgebacks are a breed which are genetically more aggressive than "your avg breed" this is NOT "deed not breed" this is genetic fact.

Having just read this I'm offended and shocked that someone who considers themselves "experienced in rescue and behaviour" could beleive such nonsense. I am also experienced in dog rescue, and can tell you that of all the Ridgebacks and hundereds of other "aggressive breeds" I have cared for I have never seen agression towards humans from any of them. Not to mention my own Ridgeback/Staffie cross - I would never bring a dog into a home with my young siblings if it was naturally agressive.

Hi,

I quite agree for some behaviours yes, this may be the case however, this is behaviour which has "moved on" (would have been originally present) and is moving on and on. I have a feeling I saw this dog being talked about on another forum I recognise the name and being a RR X and the area. Will have a dig about :)

Claire.

Also this could very well be play (albeit unsuitably rough play which needs to be addressed quickly). We have a similar sounding case in the Dogs Trust centre I work at currently - a Boxer cross who has been taught by her previous owner to play very roughly by jumping and ragging on the handlers arms and clothing. She is in no way being aggressive although it can be very painful when she does this, however we have now substituted the grabbing onto a toy and she is making great progress.

Obviously I can't assume what is causing this behaviour in Pushka myself without ever having met her, and neither should you.

Well now i am really confused and don't know what to do. I don't want to give up so easily,and i have to go to work tonight but how can i gurantee my kids safety while i am gone? :(

She loves playing in the house and plays tag and tug-of war really well,and is not agressive at all. But this attack felt very different,like she was possessed.

Hi,

I quite agree for some behaviours yes, this may be the case however, this is behaviour which has "moved on" (would have been originally present) and is moving on and on i feel sure that proper assessment would have revealed this tendancy. I have a feeling I saw this dog being talked about on another forum I recognise the name and being a RR X and the area. Will have a dig about :)

rachel - no need to be offended, the genetics of dog communication is very interesting - breeds such as RR's dont have the skills to communicate as well as "average" dogs and as a result this can lead to increased aggression.

nowt to do with "nonsense" so may i rescpectfully suggest before you "jump in" again - that you have your facts right.

Claire.

cycas - it is responsible not alarmist, the dog has already attacked her and most definately could attack others.

You have not seen the dog. You did not see the incident. You do not know the owner. You do not know the rescue.

I'm sorry, but I don't care how much experience you say you have, I am really not convinced that you can tell what this dog actually did based on the brief details given, and I'm sorry to be curt about it, but your posts sound panicky, and I really don't think that helps.

Fenella6, I really hope you can get this sorted out. I am not claiming any special knowledge or experience, but I do know what it's like to look at your dog and think - 'what on earth was THAT all about and how worried should I be?' I would not take any sudden decisions without talking to the rescue if I were you.

reikiange - then why send it out to a "new" home without saying anything ?

I don't understand? I said the dog may well *not* have shown any similar behaviour while in rescue, so what were the rescue not saying when rehoming the dog?

Could you provide a link to some official information to back up your claim please?

i am an experienced rescuer and reasonably experienced in dog behaviour too - experienced enough to know that an inexperienced owner needs help in person asap. and to keep her and the dog safe - dont put leads near her they obviously trigger it, and dont put her in situations where she's got the opportunity to get loose.

With respect Claire, you are making some quite serious accusations about a dog you have never met and had never even heard of until about an hour ago, criticising a rescue and advising a complete stranger to insist on returning their dog to rescue!

I have no idea of your experience in rescue or behaviour as you have only joined us very recently and you may well be a very experienced behaviourist, but most of the posts you have made so far have been recommending *another* behaviourist, so why do you feel qualified to offer internet advice on this particular dog, one you have ever met?

Hi hun,

First of all :GroupHug:

You mention tug and war. Please stop playing that at the moment.

None of us can judge the rescue involved as none of us know the full facts. Please if you haven't done so already, then try to get a number to call the rescue on.

Good luck with getting things sorted.

Kazz xx

murtle - could you explain your comment ?

I was shocked at your *solutions* there are so many things it could be/reasons for the dogs reaction but to advise someone to take a dog back to the rescue without any real evidence of what has happend baffled me.

Please can you give me some links to these facts as I assume we are talking about a Rhodesian Ridgeback here and I have not seen anything that suggests they are genetically more aggressive then another breed, in fact as far as I'm aware they are a great natured dog suitable for most family situations. They can however be a dominant animal.

Edited to say: I didn't see Reiki's posting before posting this.

Fenella - did you get my PM??

Edited by murtle

rachel - no need to be offended, the genetics of dog communication is very interesting - breeds such as RR's dont have the skills to communicate as well as "average" dogs and as a result this can lead to increased aggression.

nowt to do with "nonsense" so may i rescpectfully suggest before you "jump in" again - that you have your facts right.

Claire.

Since this site is the home of "Deed Not Breed" you may well find a fair bit of opposition to your thoughts on certain breeds being more aggressive than others.

May I also respectfully ask that you remember that you are advising on a dog you have never met and are therefore highly unlikely to be in possesion of all the facts yourself :flowers:

To the original poster, my original suggestions still stand:

speak to the rescue

have your vet check your dog over

seek the advice of a professional behaviourist who is near to you and can visit you and the dog in person - not take the word of someone online who has never met the dog :flowers:

If you decide to return the dog to rescue, that should be your choice, not something you decide to do because a complete stranger advised you to.

Fenella, I have a tel no for the rescue that I've seen on another site, I will PM you - though I would have thought the tel no would be on the adoption agreement?

breeds such as RR's dont have the skills to communicate as well as "average" dogs and as a result this can lead to increased aggression.

I would like to know what evidence you have which leads you to beleive this. In my experience it is dogs with docked tails or cropped ears that find it harder to communicate with other dogs, even in some cases solid black dogs such as black Labs. However this doesn't tend to lead directly to agression from the dog, rather aggression towards it from other dogs who misread the signals.

I am not claiming any special knowledge or experience, but I do know what it's like to look at your dog and think - 'what on earth was THAT all about and how worried should I be?'

I agree :flowers:

Fenella, have you considered using a Baskerville type muzzle for walks? It would stop the grabbing of the lead and hopefully enable you to "work" on your dogs walking. Also, made a Gentle Leader or Halti type headcollar could help with the pulling.

Good luck :flowers: