UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

What Are You Reading At The Moment?

Rileyroo

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just finished 'Book of the Dead' by Patricia Cornwell - thought it was rather good.

Am going back to the book I started before the Patricia one (was from the library so had to read it straight away), the book is the first one in the Alex Delaware stories by Jonathan Kellerman. I'd read the odd one before and really liked them, so decided to start at the beginning as it were.

I've read Book of the Dead and also thought it was excellent. I also like the Alex Delaware stories and have read a number of them - excellent books.

Have just finished Maeve Binchy's latest one, This Year it will be Different - not bad, but a bit 'same short story told in different ways using different characters' type of book

Have also read recently The Bad Dogs Diary which, if you don't think about the stereotyping within the book, is quite entertaining

just finished The Histoian by Elizabeth Kostova

Bloody brilliant-its a pastiche of the historical dracula myth, travelogue (superb), gothic horor and a discussin on the value /purpose of the study of history.

that makes it sound odd-and it is-but by the second paragraph...i was hooked-"to you dear reader i bequeath my history...."

fee

Ranulph Fiennes autobiography - what an exciting life he has led!

We brought that for a friend at Christmas, hoping it wasn't his thing so we could have it back :laugh: Unfortunately he loved it. Got to wait for him to read it now before we borrow it :rolleyes:

Also read, over christmas, Ellen MacArthur's autobiography. She is one hell of an inspiration and a great writer. What a fab book and what a fab woman!

Edited by Dog Rescue Lover

The Hills are Lonely & The Loud Halo by Lilian Beckwith, I should have more of them, need to find them now

Love these stories of Englishwoman living amongst the Crofters on the Island of Bruach

(Hmm, some of the others seem to have fallen into my Amazon basket along with the Sula childrens books by Lavinia Derwent)

Edited by sanrossscot

The Hills are Lonely & The Loud Halo by Lilian Beckwith, I should have more of them, need to find them now

I've got all these San - somewhere! :rolleyes:

Could be tomorrow, could take 10 years but I will find them and when I do I'll pass them on to you. I absolutely love them. I found mine in charity shops over a period of time yonks ago. The only ones I didn't enjoy (if memory serves) were The Spuddy - too sad, and The Greenhand - just not like the rest.

I can't remember which was my favourite though as they were equally good.

Although the books are out of print now, look at the links below - it seems you might be able to get hold of second hand copies cheaply! :biggrin:

http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/b/lillian-beckwith/

http://www.ealaghol.co.uk/books/authors/beckwith.htm

I've got all these San - somewhere! :rolleyes:

Could be tomorrow, could take 10 years but I will find them and when I do I'll pass them on to you. I absolutely love them. I found mine in charity shops over a period of time yonks ago. The only ones I didn't enjoy (if memory serves) were The Spuddy - too sad, and The Greenhand - just not like the rest.

:flowers: Thanks Alison, I have bought another couple from Amazon (no doubt when they arrive I will find I had the same books stashed somewhere :rolleyes: :laugh: )

I am up to book 10 in Robert Jordan's Whhel of Time series - can't wait to get it finished so I can move on!

Sadly there will be a delay in the final book as Robert Jordan passed away in 2007. He did leave outlines of the final book and they have (well his wife) chosen an author to complete the series.