UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

What Are You Reading At The Moment?

Rileyroo

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just started "Gentlemen and Players" by Joanne Harris (about 3 chapters in). I loved Chocolat, Blackberry Wine and Coastliners but this isn't gripping me (yet) in quite the same way.

Has anyone else read it? Is it likely to grow on me if I stick with it? :unsure:

Spins4me - how're you getting on with Red Dog and James Herriot?

I didn't like Coastliners, nor Gentleman and Players although I loved Choclat and Blackberry wine.

I am going to a book launch next week has anyone been to one before? its an author I really like and I posted on a list that he is part of, he contacted me and asked me to his book launch. :mellow: He doesn't live to far away, he contacted me yesterday to tell me the other writers I'll be able to meet. I 'll feel a bit overawed I expect.

I didn't like Coastliners, nor Gentleman and Players although I loved Choclat and Blackberry wine.

I am going to a book launch next week has anyone been to one before? its an author I really like and I posted on a list that he is part of, he contacted me and asked me to his book launch. :mellow: He doesn't live to far away, he contacted me yesterday to tell me the other writers I'll be able to meet. I 'll feel a bit overawed I expect.

I suspect that I only enjoyed Coastliners because I've spent time on the island she writes about (can't remember whether it was Houat or Hoëdic now as I lived for a time on both- it was Houat I think).

I've been to lots of book launches and they've been variously as dull as ditchwater or great fun. I doubt you'll feel overawed at all Laura and hope you enjoy yourself :flowers:

I have them all paper back so will gladly sent them on, Broken is FAB..read The Ladykiller, I have it if you want it..its the 1st book Martina wrote and THE BEST, bit close to the mark, but by God I couldn't put it down :rolleyes:

Sorry just noticed this :)

A girl at work has lent me The Ladykiller, The Runaway and I think im getting The Jump.

Nearly finished Broken and it has been very good.

Would love to read more of Martinas but is it putting you to much trouble to forward them?

Just finished reading Mr Pip and am about to start The Song Before It Is Sung. Still haven't even started Crime and Punishment - it's sitting accusingly on my bedside table where it will no doubt remain for several months before being shipped off to the bookcase :rolleyes:

Now finished said book and i loved it.

Can anyone recommend me something else? I enjoed the Da vinci code but found it a very 'easy' read. I read the rule of four which is similar but a very hard read.

I enjoy Kathy reichs novels and Patricia Cornwell, and i love Harry Potter

so any ideas on good thriller horror books?

Try John Connelly's books - they are fab

• 2 weeks later...

I've just finished Notes from an Exhibition, by Patrick Gale. It was good - fictional but it's about an artist with bipolar disorder and the affect on her family. Also got round to finishing The Memory Keeper's Daughter, which I really enjoyed.

Next I'm starting Blue Genes, by Val McDermid, who I love.

So many books, so little time :rolleyes:

I'm writing a book at the moment - and it's cr@p! The publishers have utterly stiffed me, changed everything and made it into a daft fluffy story that I'd hate to read. :( :angry:

I'll let you know the title in advance of publication so that you can avoid it :laugh: Yep, things are so bad that even the title, which was very significant and important to me, has been changed. Bizarrely (to my mind anyway), the film will be out before the book :wacko: Feature film, big money and everything and I so don't want to be associated with it. I just want the world to disappear at the moment and leave me and Sol free to enjoy life in our own untroubled happy ginger bubble, chasing squirrels and laughing together.

The March edition of Readers Digest landed on the doorstep today so I suppose that will be tonight's bedtime reading. I'll get me coat . cocoa. :rolleyes:

I started reading "Exit Music" by Ian Rankin last night. Its the last Rebus book. I have been looking forward to reading this and had it for Christmas, but I have put off reading it because of not being able to because of depression. I now feel able to read it, which is a good sign. :flowers: I have every Rebus book in hard back and I love them and the Rebus character.

Very well written books. :biggrin:

I'm reading my 'comfort book' for the 302nd time - The Stand by Stephen King. I know that book inside out, back to front and upside down so I don't have to concentrate much.

I'll be trawling this tread for recommendations for books and then heading to the charity shop to see if I can find any of them :rolleyes:

I'm reading.... Ha ha ha Paddy Clarke by Roddy Doyle, its very funny, a bit hard to read as it uses quite a Lot of Irish slang, But I'm really enjoying it.

I can translate for you if needs be :biggrin:

I read a lot, up to five novels a week, and then I usually have a "serious" book on the go, at the minute that's the Whisperers which is an account of life in the USSR under Stalin, it's quite interesting if not a little disturbing.

I've an awful lot of books here, including Martina Cole, Kathy Reichs, Mandasue Heller, Patricia Cornwall, and loads more in that genre, do people on here like to "borrow" books?

I don't want them back and will happily cover postage.