UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Mill Rescue

Pingu

I just want to bring this point up again:

ok so let me get this right, and I am aware that I am picking up on a single point,

do you feel that it is totally unacceptable for a rescue to hand over a dog that is in a condition such that it took 3 baths to get rid of the stench of pooh, wee etc? should that rescue be subjected to the same treatment as Mill Rescue? Especially if said dog had been there for more than a few days

a simple "yes" or "no" answer will suffice

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

and to be fair why the hell should she?

just so some people who had laready made up their minds could lay into her even more?

out of interest what would be your opinion of someone who handed (the words I heard used were threw)* a dog back to a rescue that they were fostering when the rescue wouldnt let the dog go to an elderly man becasue the dog did not like men?

would you say that that person could possibly have an axe to grind with the rescue concerned

*seeing as heresay evidence seems to be admissable

Why dont you just ask me as it is I you are refering to?

I was asked to take the dog in question & find a home for him as they did not have anyone on their books that wanted a Yorkie. I collected him. After spending several days/baths cleaning him up & working on his issues, one of my members was keen to adopt the dog even though he had 'issues', I then called MR & asked if there was any vac card as I had possibly found a home for the dog. It was then I was told that I was only 'fostering' the dog!!!! & that the gentleman would have to go through them & pay £150 for a 'dog' with issues. He at this point declined as he said that he was not prepared to pay that much for the dog that would need vaccinating/microchipping at his expense. I then told MR that I did not foster FOC as I have my own rescue & if I ever need a fosterer I pay them (I can prove I pay them if you wish?) She laughed & said that I was to return the dog. I told them to come fetch him. I actually sent him back with a collar, lead, a toy that he had adopted & a blanket. As for 'throwing' the dog back, well the bloke that fetched him was terrified of the dog & said that he would crate 'it' up!! & held the dog at arms length. Wish I had kept the emails/txt msgs that I recieved from MR. As you say "seeing as heresay evidence seems to be admissable" I had no axe to grind as at the time I was not aware of all the other poor dogs that have suffered. Every one is entitled to an opinion. This is mine.

and to be fair why the hell should she?

just so some people who had laready made up their minds could lay into her even more?

out of interest what would be your opinion of someone who handed (the words I heard used were threw)* a dog back to a rescue that they were fostering when the rescue wouldnt let the dog go to an elderly man becasue the dog did not like men?

would you say that that person could possibly have an axe to grind with the rescue concerned

*seeing as heresay evidence seems to be admissable

ok so let me get this right, and I am aware that I am picking up on a single point,

do you feel that it is totally unacceptable for a rescue to hand over a dog that is in a condition such that it took 3 baths to get rid of the stench of pooh, wee etc? should that rescue be subjected to the same treatment as Mill Rescue? Especially if said dog had been there for more than a few days

In answer to your question 'Yes' Totally unacceptable.

I was asked to take the dog in question & find a home for him as they did not have anyone on their books that wanted a Yorkie. I collected him. After spending several days/baths cleaning him up & working on his issues, one of my members was keen to adopt the dog even though he had 'issues', I then called MR & asked if there was any vac card as I had possibly found a home for the dog. It was then I was told that I was only 'fostering' the dog!!!! & that the gentleman would have to go through them & pay £150 for a 'dog' with issues. He at this point declined as he said that he was not prepared to pay that much for the dog that would need vaccinating/microchipping at his expense. I then told MR that I did not foster FOC as I have my own rescue & if I ever need a fosterer I pay them (I can prove I pay them if you wish?) She laughed & said that I was to return the dog. I told them to come fetch him. I actually sent him back with a collar, lead, a toy that he had adopted & a blanket. As for 'throwing' the dog back, well the bloke that fetched him was terrified of the dog & said that he would crate 'it' up!! & held the dog at arms length. Wish I had kept the emails/txt msgs that I recieved from MR. As you say "seeing as heresay evidence seems to be admissable" I had no axe to grind as at the time I was not aware of all the other poor dogs that have suffered. Every one is entitled to an opinion. This is mine.

agreed everyone is enttled to an opinion...

so let me just pick up on another point you have made.

you feel its NOT ok for a rescue to charge its standard donation fee for a dog with "issues".. lets say a dog with some reasonably serious aggression issues?

I have had no involvement with Mill Rescue other than having bought some identity tags from Maggi over a year ago to put on our dogs in transit, and have no experience of how Mill Rescue is run. I chose not to make any comment anywhere about what was being said.

However because I made no comment supporting others views or any view at all , my account and that of the rescue I support was removed from DP. (I am happy to forward the communication to anyone that has a genuine interest in this)

Is that an unbiased view of things :unsure: What did I do other than say nothing until I had reached my own conclusions :unsure: and how does that help rescue in any way whatsoever.

Representatives of the refuge have taken the time to physically attend and for that I applaud them :flowers: If people I trust, not just faceless names on a forum give me informative information then I will take that on board and make my own conclusions.

As part of a rescue we do not endorse any other rescue than our own, but personally I would never decry help to a rescue that in my opinion is doing their best to improve and help dogs.

Mindy

In answer to your question 'Yes' Totally unacceptable.

totally unacceptable... so if i was to give you the name of a rescue that did just that, that IMO is actually quite a good rescue, you would be happy to start a thread on DP in the same vein as the one for Mill Rescue with calls for an investigation by HMRC into its finacial ffairs, calls to have the place inspected by the RSPCA\closed down?

Sorry I have kept quiet long enough.

FFS what do people want??? 2 well respected people here have been. Maggi has improved. That is a step forward!!!

Do you want her burnt at the stake??? Isn't it better that things have improved there now and Maggi is listening and taking on board the advice given.

I bet if she could turn the clock back she would, no one wants bad publicity. Yes Maggi lost some along the way and yes it is very very sad, but unfortunately no amount of arguing amongst ourselves is going to bring those back.

Just my thoughts

Kazz xx

Why is that fact that they cleaned up a bad thing - this is what I can't understand. Surely for the dogs in their care cleaning up is a good thing. NO ONE is saying that things at MR were always good, but it sounds like things are now a lot better and that has to be positive, doesn't it?

I've had dogs / cats from three rescues - two of which are nationally recognised and were held up as model rescues by DP on the MR thread. Neither of them checked up on my references / homecheck - but MR did. NO rescues are perfect - not even yours.

Cleaning up is one thing, doing it because you know that you are going to be visited is another. If all was well there would be no need to 'clean up'

& yes it is great that things have improved, just a pity that 'rescued' dogs suffered.

& when it went to fetch the dog I was asked for NO ID, proof of address or references???? I had to give them my address so they could collect the dog.

NO rescues are perfect - not even yours. ?? Did not realise that you had been to mine???? But you are most welcome anytime, I do not even need any warning. ACO's visit me on a regular basis if they are in Grantham on a purely social call, you can to.

If we start a 'dodgy things other rescues have done' thread I think we will never be ended with it. I don't believe there is any rescue that has never made a mistake that could be made to sound bad if presented in the right light.

tbh this is the point I am trying to make if everyone on here and DP\wherever were to list something bad that has happened at a rescue then it would break all records for the worlds longest thread. hell I can even tell a tale about the dogs trust and a few about the RSPCA

Both my dogs were adopted from Mill Rescue last year. I seem to remember a recent thread 3 or 4 weeks ago on DP, I think the title was something like ' So what happened about Mill Rescue' or something similar to which you Yorkie Girl were one of the main contributors. If you remember rightly I made one post asking you a question. ' You seem to have recent personal experience of MR, when did you last visit and would you like to share your experiences with us'.

If I remember correctly you responded to me by saying that you hadn't actually been since the DP thread in May and that you have people watching for you that 'drive past regularly', oh and you also asked if I was a representative of MR.

No, I'm not a representative of MR and never suggested I was, just an adopter like many others. I have however visited MR myself on the Open Day and twice more recently. If you had visited yourself you would have seen the improvements that have been made.

Cleaning up is one thing, doing it because you know that you are going to be visited is another. If all was well there would be no need to 'clean up'

& yes it is great that things have improved, just a pity that 'rescued' dogs suffered.

& when it went to fetch the dog I was asked for NO ID, proof of address or references???? I had to give them my address so they could collect the dog.

NO rescues are perfect - not even yours. ?? Did not realise that you had been to mine???? But you are most welcome anytime, I do not even need any warning. ACO's visit me on a regular basis if they are in Grantham on a purely social call, you can to.

But in your world, I don't need to have been to yours - I just need to believe some of the things I've been told about it...

Are you seriously saying that you've never made a single mistake? Life on your high horse must be mighty lonely given that the rest of us certainly aren't perfect.

agreed everyone is enttled to an opinion...

so let me just pick up on another point you have made.

you feel its NOT ok for a rescue to charge its standard donation fee for a dog with "issues".. lets say a dog with some reasonably serious aggression issues?

No I do not feel it ok to ask for a standard fee for a dog with issues. If you look on my site you will see a little one called Amber who I have spent a considerable amount of money on so far is up for adoption with no fee required. This is because she has issues & will need the 'special' home that to me is more important that banging out dogs for £150 that some of which were clearly ill.

& in answer to another question yes if I foster for another rescue I get paid just like I pay my foster carers.

If you want to name the other 'rescue' please do.