UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Mill Rescue

Pingu

I would have thought that the welfare of the animals was of paramount importance, not a stupid board war that always degenerates into 'he said she said'.

Neither board is more important than the dogs and sometimes putting ego's aside and working toward a common goal ( which I think there is) should be a uniting not dividing force :flowers:

I don't think you'll find a single Refuge member disagreeing with your sentiments Trudi :flowers:

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pre-mod does not stop anyone posting, it just means that posts have to be approved. Maggi did not attempt to post at any stage. Helly, I can't see the post you are referring to, but it doesn't matter. The facts are that Maggi has always been able to post and has chosen not to. That is obviously her perogative, of course. I am making no comments on the general discussion on this thread and I am not going to be drawn into further debate. However, as a member of the DP moderating team, I am also not going to let completely false statements go unchallenged regarding Maggi not being able to post on DP.

I come here rarely enough for most people (hopefully) to realise I'm not picking a fight. Just setting the record straight on a point of fact.

Pre-mod does not stop anyone posting, it just means that posts have to be approved. Maggi did not attempt to post at any stage. Helly, I can't see the post you are referring to, but it doesn't matter. The facts are that Maggi has always been able to post and has chosen not to. That is obviously her perogative, of course. I am making no comments on the general discussion on this thread and I am not going to be drawn into further debate. However, as a member of the DP moderating team, I am also not going to let completely false statements go unchallenged regarding Maggi not being able to post on DP.

I come here rarely enough for most people (hopefully) to realise I'm not picking a fight. Just setting the record straight on a point of fact.

Then that is completely contrary to the information that was and has been made available to us.

May i also put in a timely reminder about statements being made, and the necessity for them to be kept truthful.

An IP ban would not show up to hosts/moderators Scoots :flowers:

Looks like no matter what some people have it in for Mill Rescue and will continue to cause problems where ever they can sadly .

I think Rick DI and i think it was John ? taking the time to go and see for themselves the place and have a good look around shows that they are comitted to finding out the truth and should be admired for that .

I for one think the reports are both fair and informative , Maggi herself knows she has made mistakes but is from what i can see trying to improve things and not make the same mistakes again so for the sake of the dogs cant you all just accept that and wish her well for the future ? Knowing that the Dogs Trust and RSPCA are keeping a check on things should make some of you feel better about the situation on a whole .

I would like to know how many other rescues can put their hand on their heart and say they have never got it wrong at some point? And i would also like to ask how many of you , still intent on running down Mill Rescue have offered any kind of practical help instead of still ripping them apart on the internet ?

Every member on Dog Rescue boards should have the interest of the dogs first and foremost in thier minds and if they hear rumours or see evidence of things not being quite right surely as dog lovers offering to help would be a damned sight more admirable than sitting behind a pc stirring up even more crap to have a good old knife in back session yet again even when faced with first hand accounts of how things are NOW ?

If every single rescue in the country, which made mistakes were slagged off and rumours were started all over the internet what the hell would happen to all the dogs in rescue? I stand by what i said on this subject in the contro thread

Although i can understand people talking about places that they think are not up to scratch , what gets up my nose is the amount of people who have never set foot anywhere near and still think it is their god given right to jump on the bandwagon on somebody elses say so , i find it very sad indeed that people like that instead of stopping for a moment and asking themselves , "what could i do to help ? " Post all over the internet about how bad a cetain place is when they have probably never been within a few hundred miles of the place .

Maybe some places started out with all good intentions but just happened to bite off more than they could chew so to speak ? maybe they could not turn away an animal that they knew would either be dumped , PTS or worse ? Not all places that find themselves in difficulties are uncaring unfeeling money grabbing so and so's , maybe their hearts were in the right place but they just got swamped by too many animals needing their help ?

Personally i would like to see first hand and if alarm bells started ringing then would be the time to see what could be done to help , any kind of practical help that could be draughted in short term to ease the burden could surely only help the dogs or other animals in the long run , if a few more people offered some kind of practical help no matter how small maybe these places that find them selves in difficulties could change the way things are done for the better ? How much more rewarding would that be than sitting in a pc being vindictive and downright judgemental without knowing the full facts ir bothering to think of the animals ?

I have never got this driving need some people have to be nasty about these kinds of issues , some people do make genuine mistakes and as i said find them selves in difficulties through trying to do far too much because of their love of animals . We all know that puppy farmers and some byb's dont give a toss about the animals all they see is £ signs and if they can cut corners ie not pay for vet treatments worming tablets vaccines etc all the more cash for them at the end of the day . But what about the genuine people who do care and just cannot turn an animal away ? Surely a bit of help and support could go a lot further than critisism and scandle mongering ever could ?

Sadly mud sticks in the society we live in and some people seem to enjoy being nasty instead of offerring any kind of solutions or help , it is a sad day indeed for the animals when people who are supposed to care about them can only find the time to carry on spreading rumours and causing grief not just for the people involved but for the animals these people are supposed to care about .

I think in some cases , when people find themselves in difficulties and there are geuine concerns raised then it is only fair that they get the chance to rectify the situation within reasonable time limits , but i do agree that at some point if changes are not made and animals are suffering then the relevant authorities need to be involved .

I just hope now that things are improving at Mill , that some people who were intent on still causing problems can take a step back and look at the improvements made , move on and wish Maggi and co well in the future as after all , everyone of us are dog lovers and want to see conditions improve for all dogs in rescue and every single one of us has made mistakes at some point in our lives , but surely we learned from them and tried not to make the same mistakes over again ?

Would'nt it be nice to see more people offering practical help ? Ok not all of us can physically go and help out at the rescue but theres lots of ways to help and i am sure Maggi would appreciate any offers of any kind of help at all especially as she seems to be working hard to make improvements .

Fiona xx

To me fostering isn't a "job"

Normally the rescue pay the vets bills and food, but most fosterers cover the food, treats etc themselves.

I know in the past I have covered the vaccs too, not because I was asked, but because we were a bit better off those months when the vaccs were due.

To me fostering is a pleasure not a job. :rolleyes: I would worry if foster carers asked what they were going to get paid.

Just my opinion of course.

Kazz xx

Can I just say that I totally agree with Kazz's words - I was asked to homecheck on a potential fosterer and all I got asked was "how much this - and how much that and would I be covered by insuance if this happened etc.,

I personally thought that fostering was done for love.

I have never claimed petrol for transporting - or homechecking I do it as my bit for the dogs. Seeing them safe in a rescue or a new home is my payment. Im not rich, I dont have money to spare this is my way of helping.

My personal experience of "top" rescues has been poor - my Hun came from RSPCA and was given to me without a "proper" homecheck, no neutering and no follow up. I even wrote a "letter" from Hun to them, saying how she had settled in with her new sister and loved her new family and was happy and there was no reply!!

As for Izzy - well she lived with a breeder who showed Crufts champions!! (Not Pyrs) The state she was in was appalling - a 6 month old Pyr- cast out into a shed surrounded by her own poo - in the dark and cold with no human contact.

Flynn on the other hand - had issues - major issues but these I was told about by Big GSD, he was handed over in good condition and we knew what we were taking on. John didnt want any money for him just wanted to know we would love him and care for him (which we do).

Ive read all about Maggi and her rescue but I know of far worse and of "rescues" who let out dogs totally unsuitable to prospective owners, who even turn their backs on the dogs being returned.

If Maggi has "cleaned up her act" all well and good, only the dogs will benefit - education and support is the way forward surely.

Dogs dont notice whether they live in complete luxury or second hand trash - only humans :unsure:

On DP in "So what happened, MR" thread you wrote on 2nd August 2007 (page 4)

And that's why Dogpages, as a website that values its integrity, will no longer allow them to post here.

Does this not confirm that Maggi/MR were not allowed to post? Sorry, that's how I read it.

I would just like to say that The Refuge is not a "governing body" to determine what is/isn't a "reputable" rescue, nor are we here to support any particular rescue. What has happened is that MR were members here, allegations were made on DP and The Refuge was brought into it by allowing them to post here. Because of the seriousness of the allegations, two members went to see for themselves the conditions of MR, and based on their findings MR have been allowed to post here. We are NOT a fan club for any particular rescue, we are a forum, pure and simple.

its a rare day that i get involved in public controversy, not being a rescuer, i often feel my opinion is invalid, but i hope, as an individual, im entitled to have a personal opinion .

From the side lines, iive seen many errors of judgement made and many mistakes, i have heard "stories" of dogs losing their lives and i have seen photographs of dogs stacked two high in crates.

ive heard of dogs going to homes without home checks, ive heard of dogs removed from homes that proved to be unsuitable, i know of dogs coming from pounds direct to homes without any form of assessment or "rescue imput" and know of adoption fees being asked in these circumstances.

i dont know maggi, have never been to mill rescue and probably wont ever arrive there or at several other rescues across the UK.

my personal opinion, rightly or wrongly, is that terrible errors and mistakes were made at MR, dogs were not given the level of care deserved or expected and that cost 2 of them their lives.

evidence now suggests that maggi has taken that on board and is taking all steps needed to make the much needed changes in environment, education and care given at MR.

Whilst i agree, that history can not be forgotten, my personal thoughts are that if the "mistakes" have been learnt from and are not to be repeated, as individals, we perhaps need to move on.

MR isnt the first "rescue" that isnt a registered charity or non profit organisation, it isnt the first to take dogs from other rescues and Eire and it isnt the first i have heard of that has made such awful "mistakes".

The public have been made aware of the issues and the changes there, those that feel they would still like to adopt from MR are entitled to do so in the same way, those who choose not to are, ultimatley, "web site wars" wont change anything and "support" for a rescue doesnt come by means of "advertising" on a web site, but from the people who chose to adopt or not as the case may be.

i shall leave it there as i have a tendency to waffle, but will stress once more, that this is my personal opinion and feel that perhaps now is a good time to move on and work together to make life better for all dogs in need of rescue and rehoming :flowers:

On DP in "So what happened, MR" thread you wrote on 2nd August 2007 (page 4)

Does this not confirm that Maggi/MR were not allowed to post? Sorry, that's how I read it.

Sorry for the ambiguity, Bunnygirl/Rykat, no - that meant that they were not allowed to advertise their dogs on DP. You read it wrongly but maybe I could have been clearer :)