UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Bull Breed Owners

EGAR

I am sick and tired of having this word spat at me as if it were a disease. Bull Breed owners are scum and criminals, Bull Breed owners are antisocial and use their dogs to boost their egos. BB owners are all drug abusers or live on the proceeds of drug and prostitution... etc pp

I have rehomed HUNDREDS of Bull Breeds over the years, every single one of them went to lovely peeps who care very much for their animals. None of them were scumbags, none of them were syringe toting hookers.

Opinions, please?

Trouble is they have been fashionable for a bit.

Soon it will be another popular breed that gets its owners slated.

Every breed has a general stereotyping of humans around them. Poodles dont all have a male mincing in attendance just as GSDs dont always live in local authority housing and scratch. Sadly people always stick with the worst case scenario but staffies have just been unlucky to be picked on for a while. I should imagine people who bred them 100 years ago will be spinning in thier graves at what has been done. In another 100 years if all the staffy types get bred out then people will consider Labs to be fierce. Its all relative and Ive known some lovely Staffies and some scabby GSDs

I dont think anyone who has ever met me, has considered me to be a criminal, part of the well ared brigade or a scumbag, ive dont do drugs, wrork hard, pay my way, ask no one for anything and bring my kids up (i think) right.

i was owned by the softest staffie in the world for 14 years, a boxer for 10 and have now a GSD x and an Akita, im five foot and a bit, treat my dogs as the family members they are and would recommennd a staffie to any and all.

so, my opinion Sarah, is feck em :flowers:

I run a boarding kennels and i would say 95% of the bull breed owners who bring their dogs here are lovely caring people who dont want to use their pets for fighting/status/fashion accessory.

BUT... a few scallies have brought their staffys here, and been quite proud to tell me that if i dont wlk the dog alone, it will kill any other dog it meets coz its dead 'ard. If you are ever over the pond, i will happily drive you round areas of Liverpool where nearly every dog you see out on the street is a staffy in a big leather harness snapping and snarling at any dog it sees because the owner thinks its impressive to have their dog trained this way.

The whole unfortunate label given to these breeds is the responsibility of the knobheads who do nothing to help the breed but as a result the generalisations will occur and there is very little that can be done to change that perception.

Prime example... last week i had some potential customers here wanting to view the kennels. As we stood in reception, a lab and a cocker from the kennels were going out on a walk and the owners all 'awwwwd' and coood over these 2 beautiful dogs. The black lab is one of the most people agressive dogs ive ever met, and the cocker kennel guards and has bitten every single member of my staff over the last 3 years. Then Jody, little squidgy staffy girl followed. Not dog agressive, not people agressive, just wants cuddles and kisses and as she pulled towards these people, they shot in behind me and shut the door. Had they approached the other 2 dogs they would have been bitten.

Its all down to perception and education and perseverence is the only thing that can change that

:GroupHug: Sarah.

I guess as I have owned bull breeds for over 30 years I know all the prejudice there are. :rolleyes: Normally I am thick skinned but every so often I flip and give as good as I get. :rolleyes:

I wear hoodies, I have piercings so for jo blogg I most likely look like the 'scum bag brigade', however this is my leisure time look. The rest of the time I am in suits and work hard (between 40-60nhrs a week), help running the oldies club, try volunteer on transport runs and home checks and along the lines also try to have a little of a social life. BUT no one knows that when I walk along in my leisure look with my 2 staffies. Is it not that it is not the staffy in his harness but the owner in his hoody is labeled as a scumbag and having a bull breed is the natural choice of dog then?

It is down to society to label people and stereo types? A lot of people don't actual know that the handmade leather harness with the brass embroidery is actual the 'traditional' wear for a Staffordshire BUll Terrier or 'The Pride of the Black Country'. A nice staffy in one of those looks great but the misperception that harness = 'well ard' has made many (including myself) bull breed owners not using the traditional harness anymore.

SBT & Co have been discriminated (sp) since the early 90's when the knee jerk DDA came into force, not just here but in germany and many other countries around the globe. It is not a short term prejudice it is over a decade, which is far longer then most breeds have been unfairly judged.

I for one will continue and try to educate anyone who wants to learn that Staffy & Co are fantastic dogs in the right hands. :)

Cindy *now stepping off the soap box*

It is down to society to label people and stereo types? A lot of people don't actual know that the handmade leather harness with the brass embroidery is actual the 'traditional' wear for a Staffordshire BUll Terrier or 'The Pride of the Black Country'. A nice staffy in one of those looks great but the misperception that harness = 'well ard' has made many (including myself) bull breed owners not using the traditional harness anymore.

Interestingly enough when my BIL got his lovely staffie girlie through staffie rescue he was told in no uncertain terms that he was not to dress her in a traditional harness as it sent out the wrong impression! Very sad cos as you say they do look beautiful in them. :(

I've had comments about my 2 crosses, amazement at Coopers lovely nature... :mad: cos he's a staffy after all (alot of people mistake his for full staffie even though to the educated eye is quiet obviously a cross) and of course when Tiz kicks off at other dogs its because she's staffie cross..couldn't possibily be the beagle side of her that makes her unpredictable.

When I got Gracie she was dog aggressive but stupid men thought it was funny to see this 10in high dog wanted to kill Boxers, Rotties etc so it took longer that it should to turn her round. Gracie is a cutie, everyone takes to her because she is so small.

Ellie, (Stella from RDR), has always been a softy since the day she came in here and also loves cuddles. People back away from her but if she is in pink she is a cutie. I took her when I done a homecheck last weekend and all she wanted was cuddles of these people but at first they were wary of her until they got to know her better. Just got the material to make her a pink coat with sheep on, and I am making her a pink harness because I can't buy pink ones. :laugh:

I was asked the other day why did I adopt a Staffy, "Because she needed a home and I had space for her". O can't see any other reason for adopting a Staffy :wub:

I must say up where I am, you just don't seem to get the same reactions to BB's as you do elsewhere , you do occasionaly see neds with them but not very often, the majority seem to be owned by middle aged builders who always say" oh aye, he's ma laddie, wid never be withoot a Staffy" then go on to talk about how their supposed hard dog was chased by a Yorkie, but I suppose if you lived in a city and were surrounded by anti-social types and they all had Staffies you would just jump to conclusions, I've never even been approached by anyone who has had a go at me for having Staffies, I kinda wish they would, I'd have a few things to say :rolleyes: and I have had great converstations with some very posh people and a couple of aristo's who have told me stories about the Staffies they have owned and still do, I think it's a testament to the wonderfull nature of BB's that they are a dog for every man, equally happy in a tenament or country estate

good point cindy :flowers:

i make staffie harnesses as well as for other dogs, everyone used to buy the leather ones with brass fittings (staffy owners are reknowned for the amount they spend on their dogs attire) it took me a week solid to lovingly hand tool the one i made for my soulmate plug and little turbo now ten had a little one with a little gold T on the chest from six weeks old to get him used to it before going out (it wont fit round his muzzle now let alone the rest of him :laugh: ) people dont always realise that staffies are prone to trachea problems and because of their powerful little bodies can literally pass out on a collar and if youre going to buy a harness you may as well get a posh one.

These days there are more people getting the webbing ones because "though i want my dog to look nice i am worried it will be assumed im trying to prove something " the most popular colour now its pink and lilac :biggrin: and the last leather one i made i was told forget the brass plates i want daisies lots of daisies :laugh: it is a shame that the traditional stafford wear cannot be worn because of predudice after all its traditional because its whats best for the breed

Edited by M.E.L.F.

good point cindy :flowers:

i make staffie harnesses as well as for other dogs, everyone used to buy the leather ones with brass fittings (staffy owners are reknowned for the amount they spend on their dogs attire) it took me a week solid to lovingly hand tool the one i made for my soulmate plug and little turbo now ten had a little one with a little gold T on the chest from six weeks old to get him used to it before going out (it wont fit round his muzzle now let alone the rest of him :laugh: ) people dont always realise that staffies are prone to trachea problems and because of their powerful little bodies can literally pass out on a collar and if youre going to buy a harness you may as well get a posh one.

These days there are more people getting the webbing ones because "though i want my dog to look nice i am worried it will be assumed im trying to prove something " the most popular colour now its pink and lilac :biggrin: and the last leather one i made i was told forget the brass plates i want daisies lots of daisies :laugh: it is a shame that the traditional stafford wear cannot be worn because of predudice after all its traditional because its whats best for the breed

It is true that Staffie owners spend a great deal of money on their own dogs and breed paraphernalia, I remember speaking to a chap at a dog show who sold antique dog books and he said Staffy day was the best as he was guaranteed to shift every single Staffie item he had, and I can lay claim to having spent an enormous amount of money over the years on my own dogs, I'd hate to find out exactly how much :wacko:

people dont always realise that staffies are prone to trachea problems and because of their powerful little bodies can literally pass out on a collar and if youre going to buy a harness you may as well get a posh one.

Ellie always sounds as if she is hoarse so I assume she has some trachea damage from pulling on a collar. I will be making her a webbing harness but it won't be plain, I am going to decorate it as well. :biggrin:

I've got to admit to loathing traditional staffie harnesses. Sorry. I think I've built up a stereotype locally of the type that *have* to have them, and then gloat about how it cost £75, despite the fact it doesn't fit and the dog's rattling round in it. I always think they could've spent that money getting their dog's immense knackers taken off. :unsure:

I think it also stems from the fact that if you ask somewhere for gear for a Bullmastiff, that's what is automatically offered - "Do you want Yorkshire roses, or do you want these delightful Bulldog heads on it?". I felt exactly the same when I could only find a coat on eBay in Seth's size that was Burberry (bleurgh). I would love to see the big chunky harnesses done in pink. Don't think they'd sell quite as well though somehow *lmao*. And besides, if it's about £75 here for a staffie one in brown leather with tacky ornamental bits, God knows how much it'd cost of one in pink for a Bullmastiff. :laugh:

I've got to admit to loathing traditional staffie harnesses. Sorry. I think I've built up a stereotype locally of the type that *have* to have them, and then gloat about how it cost £75, despite the fact it doesn't fit and the dog's rattling round in it. I always think they could've spent that money getting their dog's immense knackers taken off. :unsure:

I think it also stems from the fact that if you ask somewhere for gear for a Bullmastiff, that's what is automatically offered - "Do you want Yorkshire roses, or do you want these delightful Bulldog heads on it?". I felt exactly the same when I could only find a coat on eBay in Seth's size that was Burberry (bleurgh). I would love to see the big chunky harnesses done in pink. Don't think they'd sell quite as well though somehow *lmao*. And besides, if it's about £75 here for a staffie one in brown leather with tacky ornamental bits, God knows how much it'd cost of one in pink for a Bullmastiff. :laugh:

Kathy, you can't buy the proper traditional harnesses in a shop as such, they are all hand made on order for individual dogs and may I say with matching lead and maybe a nice leather collar you spend more than £75 and Yorkshire Roses would be a insult to the Pride of the Black Country :rolleyes: :biggrin:

There are actually red and pink leather collars to buy somewhere in Bristol :flowers: